Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-07-2013, 07:29 PM   #55
Absolutely Red 12
Asshole

Drives: 2012 and 2013!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter View Post
I hold the pink slip on our 2012, and so don't need to carry full coverage for a car financing company. I pay $288 yearly from Wawanesa. That works out to $24 a month.

You might ask your agent why your Yaris is so high. There has to be a reason.
So you just have liability.

Collision is high in Socal, due to the uninjured drivers here.
Also a minor fender bender in LA causes the car to be totaled.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:22 PM   #56
jayeh

Drives: '08 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTBaker View Post
When I got mine insured it was higher than my Outback. I question the agent and she said because the car is associated with young drivers the insurance rate is higher. I told her the insurance industry should insure clients not vehicles.

My insurance for my Yaris, scooter and Yamaha R1 is 150 a month. All 3 vehicles full coverage.
Have you ever seen another Yaris on the road? The day I drove mine home from the dealership I was almost hit by two Yarises. Apparently most Yaris owners think the car is so small two can occupy the same space at the same time. Then I realized why I pay so much for insurance.

A Corvette would be cheaper to insure.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:50 PM   #57
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
It does. My sister lived in the UK for 3 or 4 years. Coming back and trying to even get car insurance was almost impossible. Only 1 company would cover her at all, and she paid through the nose for that. I think she ended up with something like $1500 or so for a late model Chrysler minivan. Or maybe $2k. Not 100% sure.
That makes sense. Years ago a friend and I spent about 5 months in Europe and Africa. When we got back he decided to finish his EMT certification and then cram as many EMT shifts in as he could work that in with his other job, as a seasonal California state employee (an ocean lifeguard) over each summer for 3 years and travel the other 9 months of the year. Another friend of his had parents who owned a few houses as investments. The lease on one of them ended, and the parents let their son, my friend, and two other friends (4 guys total) move into the house and they charged them less than the previous tenants because the parents knew all of them and knew they'd take good care of the house (the parents owned the house outright). My friend had 2 'at home' bills while he was traveling each year: Bill #1. Rent - it was an incredible deal and he wanted to save that space so that each Summer would = no drama. He paid a bit less rent when gone vs when he was there because the parents would lower the rent (again) a bit when he was gone re less wear and tear, Bill #2. CAR INSURANCE (bare bones liability on a 7 year old Civic) -- he probably looked at all angles of that situation and wanted to avoid a situation like your sister encountered (he's one of the few people I've ever known who is more frugal than I am )
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:03 PM   #58
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolutely Red 12 View Post
Public liability and property damage... just the bare minimum required to legally register the car.

Quote:
I know.

Driving with minimal coverage for decades has made me a better driver by learning to be aware of the free choice to assume the personal responsibility for the consequences of my own actions.
tooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 11:17 PM   #59
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:

I don't have liability either. I look at (given my confidence in my driving ability and (except for 1 overall winter) living through the mild winters of coastal areas of California or SE Texas) what is the likelihood of my getting in an accident that is my fault and having to write a check for a new car (I almost always pick inexpensive new cars). I don't think the likelihood is very high (and I can afford it). Significant number of uninsured drivers in your area, and another post indicates the same is true in Florida. I'd love to know what the uninsured motorist statistics are for my area and if it dials down to just zip code or if which county also makes a difference. A couple of years ago I got into a conversation with a bank teller at a branch of my bank in Yarflana's neck of the woods. She told me 'we (she and her husband) can't wait until we move to Montgomery County (my county) so (among other savings) we can pay less for our insurance package (homeowner's and cars)'.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:33 PM   #60
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Public liability and property damage... just the bare minimum required to legally register the car.

Quote:
I know.

Driving with minimal coverage for decades has made me a better driver by learning to be aware of the free choice to assume the personal responsibility for the consequences of my own actions.
This is probably the truest statement anyone has ever typed on Yarisworld because one mistake could cost you your house and other assets (and true because you are who you are ).
Old 04-08-2013, 01:21 AM   #61
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
Quote:
I thought I was a good driver too .. until I had an accident with my Yaris on Dec 02/2012. I knew in my mind that the accident wasn't my fault .. and thus I waited until the other insurance company assumed liability before getting my car fixed, even though I did have collision coverage on my Yaris.

I just got my car fixed about a week ago ... and really it showed no matter how careful (or how good of a driver you think you are), things happen and it is just very very risky not to have adequate insurance coverage.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:38 AM   #62
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmscan View Post
I thought I was a good driver too .. until I had an accident with my Yaris on Dec 02/2012. I knew in my mind that the accident wasn't my fault .. and thus I waited until the other insurance company assumed liability before getting my car fixed, even though I did have collision coverage on my Yaris.

I just got my car fixed about a week ago ... and really it showed no matter how careful (or how good of a driver you think you are), things happen and it is just very very risky not to have adequate insurance coverage.
I agree, but if you are going to take that chance there is a big difference, IMO, between winter driving in Edmonton and winter driving in Los Angeles. I think if the same driver had equal winter driving skill for both locations, that driver would be less likely to get in an accident during the winter in Los Angeles. I would guess that the winter season would be the most accident heavy time of year in both locations.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:01 AM   #63
tooter
play every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post

This is probably the truest statement anyone has ever typed on Yarisworld because one mistake could cost you your house and other assets
Absolutely.

Which is why it's my own personal responsibility to be fully aware of what I'm doing and to be mindful of the consequences my own actions spin into motion.

Assuming that personal responsibility alters a person's behavior by calling up something from inside of them which has the capacity to meet each new situation properly.

Quote:
(and true because you are who you are ).
That's right. How each of us freely chooses to live is an expression of who we are.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:26 AM   #64
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Absolutely.

Which is why it's my own personal responsibility to be fully aware of what I'm doing and to be mindful of the consequences my own actions spin into motion.

Assuming that personal responsibility alters a person's behavior by calling up something from inside of them which has the capacity to meet each new situation properly.

That's right. How each of us freely chooses to live is an expression of who we are.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:10 PM   #65
Absolutely Red 12
Asshole

Quote:

I know.

You do know what happens if you're held liable for a collision, and your bare minimum ($5,000) insurance isn't enough to cover the other guys car damage?? Or your ($15,000) injury liability won't cover someones ER bill?
It comes out of your pocket.

I have an extra $1000,000.00 umbrella policy that costs $200 year to cover!!
Old 04-08-2013, 01:12 PM   #66
Absolutely Red 12
Asshole

Quote:
I agree, but if you are going to take that chance there is a big difference, IMO, between winter driving in Edmonton and winter driving in Los Angeles. I think if the same driver had equal winter driving skill for both locations, that driver would be less likely to get in an accident during the winter in Los Angeles. I would guess that the winter season would be the most accident heavy time of year in both locations.
When it just drizzles in LA, the freeways shut down with major collisions!
No one here knows how to drive in the rain........or on a clear day as a matter of fact.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:58 PM   #67
tooter
play every day

Quote:
You do know what happens if you're held liable for a collision, and your bare minimum ($5,000) insurance isn't enough to cover the other guys car damage?? Or your ($15,000) injury liability won't cover someones ER bill?
And it's right that it should.
I should pay in full for any injury or damage I cause. That's what choosing to assume personal responsibility is all about. And it is awareness of that choice which modifies behavior accordingly.

Quote:
Wow... I didn't know umbrellas were that hazardous.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:34 PM   #68
nookandcrannycar

Quote:

But you have to (with every carrier I have ever had) bring the liability limit of the underlying policy up to a certain limit (the lowest I have ever seen is 300k and that was rare) before you can buy an umbrella policy and have it kick in.....so it wouldn't be 200.00 it would be 'his 200.00' (which might end up being a bit more or less than 'your 200.00') plus the cost to bring the limit up from the legal minimum he has now to the 'able to buy an umbrella policy minimum'.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:49 PM   #69
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
When it just drizzles in LA, the freeways shut down with major collisions!
No one here knows how to drive in the rain........or on a clear day as a matter of fact.
I agree there are lots of lousy drivers in LA and lots of lousy inclement weather drivers in LA, but perhaps tooter rarely drives on the freeway and never does when it is raining.

I guess my point is that tooter is obviously a happy, competent person who is likely already aware of what we are telling him...but knows we (active Yarisworld members) like to put our 2 cents in and only mean well, so he replies in a good natured manner.

I HATE giving money to insurance companies, but I would HATE EVEN MORE giving money to a lawyer who extracted it out of me re an accident...so...like you...I pay for that privilege.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:11 PM   #70
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
After reading all theses posts now that I paid my car off it looks like its time to drop to liability insurance.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:05 PM   #71
jayeh

Drives: '08 Yaris LB
Quote:
Here I find weather changes cause accidents. Last spring on the first nice sunny warm day I saw 7 accidents on my way home. Every time we go from a week of one kind of condition to different one it's chaos on the roads.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:37 PM   #72
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
After reading all theses posts now that I paid my car off it looks like its time to drop to liability insurance.