Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-18-2019, 07:28 AM   #1
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Do you live near Sudberry Ontario?

Please forgive the talk to text feature which didn’t spell Sudberry correctly.

In 2000 I was riding my motorcycle on the TransCanada highway and approaching Sudberry from the east. About 10 miles east of Sudberry I made a left-hand turn to buy gas. I had to make a left-hand turn to get back on the TransCanada and when I did that There was a rock Cliff in front of me. I guess they had to cut to the bed rock when they built the road. I noticed the rock was all fractured and distorted. I said “something happened here along time ago and most find out what it is.“

When I got home I googled “Sudberry event”. Turns out 2 billion years ago a meteor hit the Sudberry area and left a crater 200 miles in diameter. That would account for the fractured rock. Also until fairly recently nickel has been mined in the Sudberry area, and meteorites are known to contain nickel.

This summer I hope to drive back there and take a picture of the cliff and get some The Rock to bring home. If I do go I’ll take pictures and talk about the trip.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:29 AM   #2
bronsin

Oh I almost forgot! If you live in Sudberry do you know about the crater? Have you seen the fractured rock? And perhaps have you seen the cliff I am speaking about?

Thanks!
Old 02-18-2019, 09:06 AM   #3
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Do you mean Sudbury?
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:44 AM   #4
bronsin

Yes that’s right. Because I have Parkinson’s I use the talk to text of my iPad And it’s hard to manually make corrections.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:05 AM   #5
kimona
Super Moderator

Gotcha. Greater Sudbury is an interesting and somewhat remote area to visit. The crater you mention is so massive, you just think you're in a natural valley. Don't forget your bug spray this summer. The mosquitoes will eat you alive and are big enough to carry you away!
Old 02-18-2019, 10:23 AM   #6
bronsin

Yes I’m looking forward to it. From Philadelphia I plan to take interstate 81 to Watertown New York and from there I get on 401 W. to a back roads 62 north which looks pretty sparsely populated indeed. 62 goes into 60 W. which leads to 11 N. which looks like a divided highway. 11 N. will take me to the trans Canada at North Bay about 30 miles east of Sudberry. That’s just a matter of finding that gas station I turned off into And the cliff eyes. I’ve done a very thorough investigation of the TransCanada on Google maps satellite and for the life of me can’t find the gas station.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:48 AM   #7
kimona
Super Moderator

Gas stations near Sudbury:

https://www.bing.com/maps?q=gas%20st...C69D142F4C0AAD
Old 02-18-2019, 10:59 AM   #8
bronsin

Wow that’s incredible! As I recall the gas station wasn’t inside Sudbury proper, but east of it on route 17 on the TransCanada highway. Of course that was 19 years ago... I will take a while to process this information!
Old 02-18-2019, 11:39 AM   #9
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Sudbury really is a shell of its former self. There has been a lot of highway reconstruction in the area and a gas station that existed 20 years ago could very well have died.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 02-18-2019, 12:01 PM   #10
bronsin

Hmmm when I was there into thousand Sudberry seemed like a pretty happening place. Traffic was pretty heavy in the built-up areas. The thing I remember is the road was being worked on and I had 500 miles of milled pavement that day. Which makes for Squirrley handling on a motorcycle! there weren’t a lot of passing opportunities either and I remember doing 50-60 mph all day. I went from 30 miles south of Arnpriror to Thessalon That day.
Old 02-19-2019, 03:52 AM   #11
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Visited Sudbury many times. Used to drive the Superior Route on our way back and forth to Winnipeg and would sometimes dodge off the highway and pop up to Sudbury. I've got a couple old polaroids (old school film, for those too young to know) of me and my girlfriend standing in front of the "Big Nickel", before it was moved to its new location. I had been in Sudbury when I was younger and it was quite different than when we traveled through in the late 1990's and early 2000's. The oft used term "lunar landscape" described it perfectly before renewal projects took place, I think in the 80's. It was transformed - specifically the downtown core - with boardwalks and other renewal projects that made it quite lovely actually.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 06:22 AM   #12
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
Sudbury really is a shell of its former self. There has been a lot of highway reconstruction in the area and a gas station that existed 20 years ago could very well have died.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
Thanks for the heads up. Yes looking at the map it’s quite possible the road is changed and relocated. As much as I studied the TransCanada highway on Google satellite I could not find the gas station where I made a left-hand turn. However I was not in Sudberry proper when I pulled into the gas station, but will east of their. Perhaps the gas station is still there. Perhaps not.

If the road has in fact been changed I have read there are still evidence of distorted rock in the Sudburry area. I’ll ask the locals. I can see it now. “Excuse me but I’m looking for evidence of the meteor that hit Sudberry 2 billion years ago. Do you know anything about that? And can I find some of the distorted rock The meteor left?”

It’s quite possible My last post about my trip will be from the Sudberry loony bin!
Old 02-19-2019, 03:27 PM   #13
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
ive been there!

Old 02-19-2019, 03:39 PM   #14
bronsin

Were you on the TransCanada Highway, Route 17?
Old 02-19-2019, 04:25 PM   #15
bronsin

Here is a description on Wikipedia of the Sudberry impact

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudbury_Basin
Old 02-19-2019, 10:24 PM   #16
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
ive been there!

I've been there as well, but I was quite young at the time. I have an uncle with his family living there.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2019, 01:51 AM   #17
bronsin

Could you ask your uncle if he knows where I could find Some fractured rock from the impact? I’m keen to get a piece of it.
Old 02-23-2019, 02:21 AM   #18
zoidberg444

Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
I think i went through Sudbury a couple of years ago when i was in Canada. I didn't know about the crater under it though.

I've kind of wanted to visit Manicouagan Reservoir in Quebec for a few years. I understand that was formed by an impact. Not sure how practical getting there with a hire car is though. It's a long way off the beaten track on dirt roads.

I'd also like to visit crater lake in Oregon.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk