Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-14-2009, 04:28 PM   #55
wiirenet

Drives: Black '09 2dr HB
Send a message via MSN to wiirenet
What's the longest you guys have waited to go back to the dealer for a cabin filter if you were missing one? I got my car in March, have about 3,000 miles on it, plan on going back to dealer around 4,000 for oil change and will bring up that I looked and saw I was missing the cabin filter but didn't have time to come in.

Do you think they'll have a problem that I waited this long? Or should I go there asap and say my car was missing one when I got it.
wiirenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 05:29 PM   #56
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiirenet View Post
What's the longest you guys have waited to go back to the dealer for a cabin filter if you were missing one? I got my car in March, have about 3,000 miles on it, plan on going back to dealer around 4,000 for oil change and will bring up that I looked and saw I was missing the cabin filter but didn't have time to come in.

Do you think they'll have a problem that I waited this long? Or should I go there asap and say my car was missing one when I got it.
They are not required to give you one. If they do give you one then they are just trying to make you happy and wanting you to come back and spend money with them. It says in your owners manual, IF you have a cabin air filter installed from the factory, then you will see a sticker down there saying so. Toyota didn't just "forget" to install one or the dealer didn't skip a step on the pre-delivery inspection. The US Yaris is not suppose to have one from the factory. But you can sure try. The worst case is that they just say no. But hopefully they will give you a free one.
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 05:37 PM   #57
wiirenet

Thanks for the info. I went to the new owner event at the dealer where they walk people through the garage showing us different things in the car, they showed us the filters and repeatedly said to change them or else this and that will happen, so they totally pushed the importance of changing your filter- and never once said your car may not have one to start with.

Soo, I will bring up the 'new owner event' and how the guy basically scared me so much saying how important changing filters is, and I am hoping they will give me one! I'm just worried they will be like "no you've had your car for too long"
Old 07-30-2009, 05:51 PM   #58
tdron
I've made a post!

Drives: 2008 yaris 4 door
cabin filter missing

Getting a real bad smell when I turn on my ac, (currently in a heat wave 100 to 108 degrees the last 5 days. When I removed my glove box to see what was going on, my Yaris had no cabin filter. Went down to dealership to express my concerns, I was given one gratis. Good people at Griffith motors, thanks, now I need to pull the unit out a find the root cause of the foul smell. BTW my car had 21,000 miles on it when I finally got a cabin filter.

Last edited by tdron; 07-30-2009 at 06:32 PM.
tdron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:54 PM   #59
yarisitis

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
How long can you go (in miles) without a cabin filter until you do damage?
yarisitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:18 PM   #60
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisitis View Post
Depends on how much stuff is in the air. Any organic substance (pollen, bugs, leaves, etc.) can enter the air box without a filter in place and can offer a great breeding ground for mold and bacteria.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 08:49 PM   #61
jackw

Drives: 2009 Yaris
filter missing in new yaris

Just picked up a new Yaris yesterday and discovered there was no cabin filter installed. After showing the sales person the manual that recommended not using the AC unless a filter was installed, he went to the parts counter and asked if one was supposed to be installed when the car was delivered.

They gave me filter on the spot, which I installed myself. It was given to me under warranty but it makes me wonder about the operation. Is this the source of replacement filters?
jackw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:23 PM   #62
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Drives: 2010 Corolla S
Well, I have had my brand new Yaris Sedan since April 13, 2009, and when I looked just a few minutes ago, I found that I do not have an A/C filter.

I don't think I will have any trouble getting a free one from the dealer. We have a good relationship.

Tom
YarisOwnersDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:23 PM   #63
Reddog99

Drives: '08 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisitis View Post
Well, it won't actually DAMAGE the A/C evaporator, but it sure will plug it up enough so that air flow will become restricted. Then it might be a real chore to clean it out.

I just looked at my girlfriends filter last week and it had leaves, lint, bugs, and hair in it. Needless to say, it needed replacement ...
Reddog99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 02:49 PM   #64
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

As I thought would be the case, my dealership's service manager agreed to get me a filter and the frame it sits in for free. It was not just a matter of getting a filter; the frame or "tray" that the filter seats into was also missing.

I have a good relationship with the service manager, and he has helped me out on other issues over the years. He thinks that possibly tomorrow my filter and frame will be in.

Tom
Old 08-10-2009, 04:04 PM   #65
DevilGirl

Drives: 09 3dr LB MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackw View Post
Just picked up a new Yaris yesterday and discovered there was no cabin filter installed. After showing the sales person the manual that recommended not using the AC unless a filter was installed, he went to the parts counter and asked if one was supposed to be installed when the car was delivered.
Can you tell me where in the manual it says that? I'm headed back to the dealer today for a few things, and I don't have much time to look for it once I get back to my car after work if I want to make it there in time (darn working so far from home).

The thing that bothered me yesterday, and maybe I'm dilusional, but the blazin blue pearl one I test drove last week had a piece in the cargo area that you could fold over the gaping hole left when the rear seats are folded down (3-dr LB model). However, when I folded down my seats yesterday to start moving all my sh*t from my apt to my storage (thanks to friends), I realized I didn't have this piece, and there was still the open area on the floor that I had to manuver all my stuff around, and getting things caught in it. Is this supposed to be a standard piece on the LB's? The only difference between the blue one I drove and the silver I bought was the shifter knob and a rear spoiler, all else was to be the same...

Car bought 8/7/09. Now over 89k miles of trouble free driving, other than user error!!
DevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:50 PM   #66
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilGirl View Post
Can you tell me where in the manual it says that? I'm headed back to the dealer today for a few things, and I don't have much time to look for it once I get back to my car after work if I want to make it there in time (darn working so far from home).

The thing that bothered me yesterday, and maybe I'm dilusional, but the blazin blue pearl one I test drove last week had a piece in the cargo area that you could fold over the gaping hole left when the rear seats are folded down (3-dr LB model). However, when I folded down my seats yesterday to start moving all my sh*t from my apt to my storage (thanks to friends), I realized I didn't have this piece, and there was still the open area on the floor that I had to manuver all my stuff around, and getting things caught in it. Is this supposed to be a standard piece on the LB's? The only difference between the blue one I drove and the silver I bought was the shifter knob and a rear spoiler, all else was to be the same...
Page 272 of the 09 owners manual. Ironically, on 270 it says "Air Conditioning Filter (if equipped)" and then on 272 it says that using it without may cause damage.

On the seat gap cover issue - Do you have the cargo mat? If so, the flaps that cover the gap are under it. They are part of the plastic cover for the spare tire.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:03 AM   #67
DevilGirl

Drives: 09 3dr LB MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Page 272 of the 09 owners manual. Ironically, on 270 it says "Air Conditioning Filter (if equipped)" and then on 272 it says that using it without may cause damage.

On the seat gap cover issue - Do you have the cargo mat? If so, the flaps that cover the gap are under it. They are part of the plastic cover for the spare tire.
I was at the dealer last night for paperwork issues (which I got straightened out). They were busy (as usual), and the service dept was already gone for the day (was around 7pm). The issue with the seat gap thing, yeah, that was because when I tried to pull up on the flip-over part of the plastic cover for the spare tire, apparently mine is still tight and I didn't pull hard enough. Got that straightened out last night.

As for the cabin air filter, the boy checked it last night, I don't have one (I guess), since there seems to be a housing for one, but nothing in it. So I'll be headed back again at some point this week. Hopefully I can get them to give me one. The way I see it, since there is the option of having A/C or not, if A/c is not installed in the car, they didn't need to install a filter. But if the car has the A/C system, the filter should have been installed. So we'll see how I fair....

Car bought 8/7/09. Now over 89k miles of trouble free driving, other than user error!!
DevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 03:33 PM   #68
b_hickman11

Drives: 08 Sedan
The US Yaris is not suppose to come with the filter.
b_hickman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 05:09 PM   #69
08YarisAZ

Drives: 08 Red Yaris LB
If you need to replace the cabin filter, there is a good thread about making your own, or you can go to a parts store - I used Advance Auto Parts, and picked up the Purolator C35667. It costs around $15. You can also get them at Pepboys and sometimes Checker. I have also used the Wix version, but it wasn't as good.
08YarisAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 04:32 PM   #70
YellowJolt

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3dr LB
Send a message via AIM to YellowJolt
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdron View Post
Getting a real bad smell when I turn on my ac, (currently in a heat wave 100 to 108 degrees the last 5 days. When I removed my glove box to see what was going on, my Yaris had no cabin filter. Went down to dealership to express my concerns, I was given one gratis. Good people at Griffith motors, thanks, now I need to pull the unit out a find the root cause of the foul smell. BTW my car had 21,000 miles on it when I finally got a cabin filter.
Keep in mind that paper cabin filters only filter dust and pollen. Charcoal-activated cabin filters are used to filter dust and pollen as well as odors and smoke. As far as I can see, the factory Toyota filter is a paper filter - we sell aftermarket versions of them here where I work, TYC PN 800025P.
YellowJolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:58 PM   #71
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisOwnersDad View Post
As I thought would be the case, my dealership's service manager agreed to get me a filter and the frame it sits in for free. It was not just a matter of getting a filter; the frame or "tray" that the filter seats into was also missing.

I have a good relationship with the service manager, and he has helped me out on other issues over the years. He thinks that possibly tomorrow my filter and frame will be in.

Tom
OK, I now have my cabin air filter installed. The service manager did not charge me for it.

As it turned out, there was no extra part needed, just the filter. The service manager was wrong about the need for a tray or frame. The new filter seated into the existing frame just fine.

They were nice enough to give me an extra filter to take home for my son, who bought his Yaris at the same dealership a month before I bought mine. We haven't even looked yet to see if my son has a filter already, but the odds against his having one are strong it would seem.

Did ANYONE get a cabin air filter in his or her U.S. bought Yaris????

Tom
Old 08-18-2009, 03:10 PM   #72
wiirenet

I asked my dealer about my cabin filter when they changed the oil, and they said it doesn't come with one and made me buy one. I also had to install it myself, I don't even know if I put it in the right way.. which way the lines go.. I don't know. So it was a shitty experience.

I told my dad and he got pissed and called toyota and complained. Supposedly the customer relations person from my dealer (elmhurst toyota, IL) is going to call us. I hope my dad talks to him, I feel really bad/guilty asking for things or complaining haha.

When I asked for the filter, the guy basicially looked at me acting like I was weird for asking for it and that I have to buy it. I wish they would have offered to at least install it.

BAH. We'll see how the call goes. I don't even know what my dad's goal is, get a free filter, or get a refund.

Also, does it matter which way the filter goes? Does it matter if the accordian-like lines are in there horizontally or vertically?