Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-27-2010, 07:16 PM   #19
DebbyM46227

Drives: 2017 Yaris IA, Pulse Red, Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
The 2010s ( including ours ) with the oil leak were manufactured between AUGUST > OCTOBER of 2009 .
Geez.....I just checked mine and it was manufactured October 2009. I have 2700 miles on it - will this show up underneath on the ground?...right now I see nothing on the cement where my car is always parked.

Being a female, I'm not much in the mood for crawling underneath my car.
DebbyM46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:41 PM   #20
2007yariz

Drives: Yaris sedan
I check my oil about every 3 weeks, and my oil level is always been dead on F. BTW i just checked it today, it's on F.

You don't have to crawl under a car:)
2007yariz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 07:47 PM   #21
DebbyM46227

Well, yes, I check my oil and it's not down any at all, but I was wondering if it would show up as a drip on the pavement if it had that head gasket leak.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:14 PM   #22
JBougie
Banned

Drives: 2010 Yaris LB (Prev: 07 Sedan)
My 2010s birthday was 06/2010 - so it's a super new baby, thankfully I have no leaks at all anywhere and I have almost 9k miles on my car already (I drove to/from Minnesota/Tennessee a lot in the last few months....)

If this is true - why would Toyota not be noticing it? What dealership did you find these at? You should let everyone know so if they, or someone they know live in the area they make sure and check that!
JBougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:56 PM   #23
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyM46227 View Post
Well, yes, I check my oil and it's not down any at all, but I was wondering if it would show up as a drip on the pavement if it had that head gasket leak.
It's possible . This is what I found when I decided to check for any possible oil leak during an oil change on our 2008 sedan . The oil had reached all the way to the top of the oil pan that's connected to the block . When discovering the leak I immediately put the 2010 3 door on ramps and found the same . You'll notice the similarity of the two ( top pic is 2008 , 2010 3 door is below ) . The 2008 no longer leaks oil since the installment of a new head cylinder gasket . I check on it every week .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GEDC0136.jpg (94.9 KB, 322 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0135.jpg (116.2 KB, 322 views)
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:09 PM   #24
Hershey

" If this is true - why would Toyota not be noticing it? "

What more proof do you need ? . We notified TOYOTA of JAPAN and the corporate offices here as well . The head gasket takes around 9 hours to replace . Can you imagine how backed up the dealer service centers would be across the U.S..
Old 10-27-2010, 10:34 PM   #25
Hershey

Forgot to mention I showed the oil that gathered on my fingertips from the exposed part of the head cylinder gasket of both used 2010 5 door YARII to the sales people and the service manager . What they do with these cars after we leave is beyond our control . The top picture shows where the exposed part of the head gasket is hidden beneath the upper head of the engine ( area circled in RED , BLUE points to it ) . The picture below that shows the head gasket itself ( circled in RED ) where the oil leaks from . You'll need to stand in the front of the car to the leftside of the engine and reach over and behind the engine and feel for the cavity where the gasket is and then run a finger(s) ( index or middle finger or both ) along the gasket to gather any oil . If oil is found on your finger(s) you may have the oil leak as ours . If so , thoroughly clean the area and the gasket itself ( I use paper towels and windex ) and recheck for fresh oil in about 150 plus miles . Then repeat several more times . Is a nuisance , but it's the best way to get results . Last , make sure the engine is cool before checking for the leak otherwise you could get burnt from the heat of the engine , exhaust manifold , heat shield , etc.. GOOD LUCK .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GEDC0167.jpg (119.2 KB, 314 views)
File Type: jpg GEDC0236.jpg (71.0 KB, 313 views)

Last edited by Hershey; 10-28-2010 at 12:18 AM.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:55 AM   #26
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
You don't have a leaking head gasket. You had a leaking valve cover or something that leaked oil. If you had a leaking head gasket you would have major problems. Your dealer just charged Toyota Corp for replacing a head gasket under warranty after tightening your valve cover.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:02 AM   #27
Hershey

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris-me View Post
You don't have a leaking head gasket. You had a leaking valve cover or something that leaked oil. If you had a leaking head gasket you would have major problems. Your dealer just charged Toyota Corp for replacing a head gasket under warranty after tightening your valve cover.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:43 AM   #28
DebbyM46227

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris-me View Post
I don't think Toyota would have gone to the expense of replacing his head gasket if it truly wasn't THAT.

Hershey, on the last 2 pics you posted: are these pictures looking from the top of the engine or from underneath? Is it underneath that large black plastic piece that says VVT-I? Sorry, but since I don't work on my car myself, the pictures are so large it's kind of hard to figure out where it's at.

And I'm blonde and female.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:48 AM   #29
billfires

Drives: 2010 3dr LB
Hershey, I want to say thank you for the time and effort you have put in on this. I bought a new 2010 LB in Sept and will check for this problem. Thanks, Bill C
billfires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:13 AM   #30
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbyM46227 View Post
I don't think Toyota would have gone to the expense of replacing his head gasket if it truly wasn't THAT.

Hershey, on the last 2 pics you posted: are these pictures looking from the top of the engine or from underneath? Is it underneath that large black plastic piece that says VVT-I? Sorry, but since I don't work on my car myself, the pictures are so large it's kind of hard to figure out where it's at.

And I'm blonde and female.
Since the dealer can't charge you for warranty work, that expense gets charged to Toyota Corp. Unscrupulous dealers can make a lot of money charging Toyota Corp for warranty work that's not done.

The best way to look for leaking oil is to clean the engine. Then leaking oil can be spotted. The other way is to add a dye to the oil, then any leaks will be seen with the dyed oil.

Don't worry about a leaking head gasket. The symptoms will be worst than leaking oil. You will definitely know that something is wrong. The signs are unmistakable and the damage is more than replacing a gasket.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:36 AM   #31
Hershey

DebbyM46227 , both pictures were taken from under the car looking up . YARIS-ME , I always make sure the cars being inspected for the leak haven't had any oil spilled during oil change ( top and back of valve cover and engine ) and all other areas . As for ours and our friends YARIS , I clean the engine from top to bottom . Then reclean if needed after rechecking . I've been working with cars for over 20 years and learned things from past and present experiences .
Old 10-28-2010, 11:42 AM   #32
DebbyM46227

Thanks, Hershey.

Up until now, I always thought a bad head gasket involved the anti-freeze gushing out of it. Which happened on my old Cavalier which I had fixed (I know, stupid!) and then eventually traded it in on my Yaris this past June.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:57 AM   #33
Hershey

There could be a slow internal coolant leak along wth the external oil leak of the #1 cylinder due to the head cylinder gasket . Go to this thread for info , www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29511 . May want to view all 4 pages . Especially this post , http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=43 . I believe this is a 2007 YARIS .
Old 10-28-2010, 12:11 PM   #34
Hershey

" Hershey, on the last 2 pics you posted: are these pictures looking from the top of the engine or from underneath? "

The 1st pictuces posted are from under the car looking up . The last 2 pics are taken from the left upper / middle backside of the engine by standing on the front left side of the car . Used a mirror to view it and take pics . Sorry , about that .

Last edited by Hershey; 10-28-2010 at 12:25 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:21 PM   #35
Hershey

Just checked our 2010 3 door for the leak and more oil had gathered on my finger tips from the gasket . Recleaned the area with paper towels and windex for next physical exam . I also looked at the rest of the engine and it's clean as it can be .
Old 10-30-2010, 07:47 PM   #36
Hershey

I found another 2008 3 door with the same leak at a private dealer . The YARIS was originally a rental at a TOYOTA dealer . The car has 47,000 plus miles . The salesman let me look at the car and I then showed him the oil and oil residue that had gathered on the head cylinder gasket . We had the sedan and told him of the head gasket being replaced under warranty . I then showed him where and how to find the leak . Took him a few tries , but he finally got the oil and residue on his fingers . Said he would show and tell their mechanics of the oil leak and possibly get the H.C.G. replaced under the TOYOTA warranty . I'll be stopping by on occasion to see how they make out with it . Not all that far away .