Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-04-2016, 09:29 AM   #37
David C

Drives: White '07 3dr LB
Update, I took my taillights off yesterday and it would appear that a small amount of water was making it's way in from the lower part of the gaskets (they could have made a labyrinth-seal style lips instead to redirect the dripping water away from the gasket in the first place), and they was some humidity and surface condensation on the inside of the sheet metal of the car around the axle strut area, when running my hand in there, I could feel some wet surface higher than the taillight. Considering the flow of water coming in that I saw happening, it was more than just a condensation issue, so perhaps the little love to the gaskets will be good enough to fix whatever leak the taillight had. Lift support struts bases where pristine, so that leaves the weatherstrip and other grommets on top of the hatch to be inspected. I'm amazed at how many holes are left unused and not plugged or taped in the rear body (I also took off the rear bumper to do some repairs), and that theres several grommets untouched for running wires to the exterior of the car (one by the lower catch pin of the taillight, one a few inch below it, one down by the bumper, etc).

Yet I haven't experienced the main issue reported here, i.e. water in the spare tire well. There is heavy caulking strips running along the outline of the organizer bins, which may be why the water was redirected toward the front of the car instead of right in the well.

How much a new weatherstrip for the hatch cost ?
David C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 11:27 AM   #38
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
"Flow through ventilation"

What are the intended cabin air exit location(s) on an 07 Yaris 2-door hatchback? (These are sometimes the source of leaks.)
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 01:26 PM   #39
David C

Drives: White '07 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsridewith View Post
What are the intended cabin air exit location(s) on an 07 Yaris 2-door hatchback? (These are sometimes the source of leaks.)
The ones I saw yesterday on mine (same car as yours) where by the lower corner of the rear body, hidden behind the bumper. The way there's made (I inspected their design for flaws) would require your car to be tilted forward almost vertical for water to come in, or to have them exposed (rear bumper removed) and blasting heavy windy rain at them. They have a rather good rubber seal around them too. If you take off your taillight, and stick your hand all the way down there from the outside of the car, you can feel them. Its a standing rectangle (about 6"x3") with 2 columns and 3 rows, making a total of 6 flaps. Mine were just dusty, not wet.

There may be more vents tho.
David C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 08:44 AM   #40
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Water leaks leak rust corrosion

Thanks! (Explains why I couldn't find them just looking around...my circa 1990 Toyotas had vents at the back of the rear window trim, several other sources of water leaks, and laughable scuppers.)
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 02:46 AM   #41
jra

Drives: 2015 yaris L
My 15 hatch hasn't leaked yet, knock on wood. But my 03 Echo sedan always leaked around the tail lights. I put new weatherstrip on them, then tried thicker weatherstrip, then caulked around the weatherstrip and put a bead on top where tail light makes contact, almost stopped, but it still leaked a little. Bad design, you would think as many years as Toyota has built Echos and now Yaris, they would have come up with something that didn't leak.
jra is offline   Reply With Quote