Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-12-2019, 12:55 PM   #1
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Record number of defaults on auto loans

Could this lead to a recession? I’m hearing 7 million people have defaulted on their car loans. Considering the average car is well over $30,000, that’s almost like the mortgage defaults into thousand and eight leading to a recession. Add in the record number Of the faulted college student loans and we may have a big problem!

Could all the safety regulations be making cars so expensive that defaulting on the loans will come back to bite us in the ass? How about trucks? Those damn things are like $50-$75,000 now. And people don’t seem to have a common sense that they can’t afford these things.
Old 03-12-2019, 02:34 PM   #2
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
It's ok, it will all get added to the magical number called the national debt which will is owed to the federal reserve...
Old 03-12-2019, 06:18 PM   #3
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Drives: 2015 Yaris LE 3door 1F7
i defaulted on my loan because i was underpaid and overworked leading to more expenses.

and i owed 10 grand, its because everywheres so expensive to live that you have to room ina crummy shitty rent a room to afford even a basic life or live at home now. idk why people buy cars over 20 grand, what do you need all that shit for? showboating?
DarkShadowFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 07:29 PM   #4
suprf1y

Drives: 05 Echo
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Could this lead to a recession?
That plus a lot of other things.

I work in an automotive parts plant and it's been very slow for 3 months now. I also deal with a number of automotive machine shops and they've been telling me it's been really slow since January.

It could be coming, we've had a long run.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-delinquencies
suprf1y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 07:34 PM   #5
tmontague

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadowFox View Post
idk why people buy cars over 20 grand, what do you need all that shit for? showboating?
You had a whole thread going about how butt hurt you were over Toyota not offering the GRMN state side. Turns out Toyota was right, even its most prolific self appointed GRMN expert wouldn't buy one...
Old 03-12-2019, 09:53 PM   #6
Hamster

Drives: 2009 5-Door Liftback
I don't think it's all the safety regulations. Yes, that adds to the cost of cars, but it's not really that bad. Car prices are still very reasonable. A Kentucky-made Camry LE can be had for as low as $25,000 MSRP, with of course the actual purchase price being a few thousand dollars less than that. I think it's all the SUV's. Pretty much any SUV will cost tens of thousands of dollars more than what a car costs. Everywhere I look I see SUV's, and I don't understand how everyone suddenly became able to afford one. Well, probably they can't. Banks are handing out auto loans like candy. Someone in my family bought a SUV, specifically a fully-loaded Jeep Grand Cherokee, with a loan, for $50,000. And trust me, everything this guy owns is paid for with debt.
Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 10:04 PM   #7
tmontague

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
I don't think it's all the safety regulations. Yes, that adds to the cost of cars, but it's not really that bad. Car prices are still very reasonable. A Kentucky-made Camry LE can be had for as low as $25,000 MSRP, with of course the actual purchase price being a few thousand dollars less than that. I think it's all the SUV's. Pretty much any SUV will cost tens of thousands of dollars more than what a car costs. Everywhere I look I see SUV's, and I don't understand how everyone suddenly became able to afford one. Well, probably they can't. Banks are handing out auto loans like candy. Someone in my family bought a SUV, specifically a fully-loaded Jeep Grand Cherokee, with a loan, for $50,000. And trust me, everything this guy owns is paid for with debt.
You're correct, people cannot afford them, they just don't want to come back to reality and admit that because the base Civic doesn't get much social media cred. But a civic type R certainly does - who cares if you can't afford it, you'll get all the likes in the world.

This current generation struggles with the concept of living within their means. I see it with my circle of friends a lott. They drive cars they have no money for, or are therefore car poor and cannot afford anythig else. They then complain that that they still live with their parents while they drive around their $80,000 Challenger Hellcat.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:03 AM   #8
suprf1y

It's not just the current generation, they're learning it from their parents and grandparents.

I know people my age with $100k or more on their line of credit, little to no savings, driving new financed trucks and think they're going to retire in a few years.

Not a clue.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:36 AM   #9
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
You had a whole thread going about how butt hurt you were over Toyota not offering the GRMN state side. Turns out Toyota was right, even its most prolific self appointed GRMN expert wouldn't buy one...
i wont buy one if they dont offer it. they decided to make a corolla hatchback, the stupidest waste of money in the world, they had a hatchback, there was no need for it.

why buy one? when i can build it plus i cant drive manual nobody in the US my age and drive a manual.

id spend alot of money on a GRMN though, the real one from japan, not the one from europe, thats the really bad one.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:38 AM   #10
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprf1y View Post
It's not just the current generation, they're learning it from their parents and grandparents.

I know people my age with $100k or more on their line of credit, little to no savings, driving new financed trucks and think they're going to retire in a few years.

Not a clue.

why though.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:39 AM   #11
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Quote:
You're correct, people cannot afford them, they just don't want to come back to reality and admit that because the base Civic doesn't get much social media cred. But a civic type R certainly does - who cares if you can't afford it, you'll get all the likes in the world.

This current generation struggles with the concept of living within their means. I see it with my circle of friends a lott. They drive cars they have no money for, or are therefore car poor and cannot afford anythig else. They then complain that that they still live with their parents while they drive around their $80,000 Challenger Hellcat.

but instagram clout and Burnouts BRO look i smoked that minivan
Old 03-13-2019, 10:43 AM   #12
DarkShadowFox
Banned

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...d=fixed-income
Old 03-13-2019, 10:45 AM   #13
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Quote:

you know how much social media cred i get for driving my yaris?

20 likes per post.

couldnt be happier.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:03 AM   #14
suprf1y

Quote:
why though.
That looks like a question, though I'm not sure if it is, and if it is, what is it questioning?
Old 03-13-2019, 11:41 AM   #15
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprf1y View Post
That looks like a question, though I'm not sure if it is, and if it is, what is it questioning?
why would you spend money you dont have? isnt that the basic rules of economics.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:47 AM   #16
bairjo

[QUOTE=bronsin;822868]Could this lead to a recession? I’m hearing 7 million people have defaulted on their car loans.

So is this the last 12 months, the last month? By itself, this number does not tell me much. 7 million out of how many loans? You can have record number...but if the number of loans is a record number also, the 7 million may be at the same percent rate of failure as any other similar time frame. As for who is at fault? "Drive any car in a get $5000 trade in value and you are approved!..as long as you make $200 a week." Of course you are approved. If you fail to make your payment, they just come take your car from you sell it again.
bairjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 12:24 PM   #17
tmontague

Quote:
why would you spend money you dont have? isnt that the basic rules of economics.
In simple terms as it applies to individuals, yes.

Refer to your post (#3)...
Old 03-13-2019, 12:44 PM   #18
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Quote:
In simple terms as it applies to individuals, yes.

Refer to your post (#3)...
still will build/ buy a GRMN because its a middle finger to toyota for not making one, hope it pisses them off that in need to mod there crummy hatchback to make it better. good luck getting it back from me .