Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-22-2014, 09:54 PM   #1
Iceman6969

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
2010 Yaris Sedan - TROUBLE W/ TROUBLE CODES

So, last year I am turning left at an intersection and as I straighten out of the turn the Yaris dies. After the tow truck got us home, I began looking for the problem. Being the person that I am, the car never got below 1/4 of a tank of gas. BUT, when I went to check the fuel pump (the hard way), I found the tank bone dry. So, I put a couple of gallons of fuel into it, with the outcome of that being negative. Still nothing.
OBD 2 code reader was displaying eight(8) trouble codes. Now after new fuel pump w/New Sub-plate. And Now NEW Mass Air Flow Sensor, four (4) trouble codes.
-P0101 Mass or Volume Air Flow / A circuit range/performance
-P0113 Intake Air Temp Sensor 1 circuit high input
-P0010 Intake (A) Camshaft Position Actuator Circuit / open Bank 1
-P0171 Bank 1 System Too Lean

As I stated, I just put in a NEW Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor. When I took the old one out to inspect/clean/reinstall I found that it looked like someone had put it in front of a propane torch.
Is there a procedure for the MAF to re-learn anything? or is it just plug&play? The Camshaft Position Actuator Circuit, is there a way to test this? And Where would the Air Temp Sensor be found?
Iceman6969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:05 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The intake air sensor is part of the MAF. When changing the MAF it is not a bad idea to disconnect the battery for a minute to reset the short term data.

The P0010 is typically due to the oil control valve being damaged. It is located between the alternator and the block and is often damaged by people prying against it while tightening the belt.

How many miles on the car? Also, what maintenance has been done (changing spark plugs, cleaning injectors, etc.)?
Old 06-25-2014, 07:33 PM   #3
Iceman6969

I had just done a tune-up on the car just prior to it getting "sick". Oil change, spark plugs, ran some injector cleaner through the fuel. There is 116,811 miles on it. It was a rental at Hertz @ San Francisco Airport before we got it. So, an Individual like myself, can only imagine the torture this car has endured.

I pulled the spark plugs last night and labeled them w/the cylinder number from which each came. When I showed them to my friend, he exclaimed, "Are those out of the Toyota? You just changed those, those are bad, that's yer problem." I wonder if there is a way, other than a multi-meter and/or sticking them into the end of a spark plug wire, to see if they are actually making spark or not? Any methods you can steer me towards testing them or just visual indicators as clues to a non-functioning spark plug?

For now, I will just try to clean these old plugs and see if the car will start after those are Bright, Shiny and Wanting to be New.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:00 PM   #4
Iceman6969

Unhappy Update

So the spark plugs that I pulled were coated with a black residue and when I pulled the first one it had a fuel odor about it. Which, if the car will NOT start, I would imagine would be the case for any vehicle. These plugs I took a soft brass bristle brush to and took off the black residue and gave the point a once over with a piece of black wet/dry sandpaper(just enough to get a "new" look to the metal.
I put them back in their respective cylinders and while doing that I had disconnected the battery (-) and put a battery charger on it so it would have a decent charge for the upcoming "test". After replacing plugs and trying to clear my trouble codes from the computer, I tried to start the car. Nothing. Still.
My trouble codes were still there. (???) I thought that I had known how to erase the codes with this little (inexpensive) Actron PocketScanner Plus. Maybe Not.
I looked it up online. I was doing the procedure (according to their user's manual) properly. So I'm still stuck. Without a running Yaris.

Can't ANYBODY Help ME????? PLEASE???!!!
Old 07-25-2014, 08:35 AM   #5
Iceman6969

I had just done a tune-up on the car just prior to it getting "sick". Oil change, spark plugs, ran some injector cleaner through the fuel. There is 116,811 miles on it. It was a rental at Hertz @ San Francisco Airport before we got it. So, an Individual like myself, can only imagine the torture this car has endured.

I pulled the spark plugs last night and labeled them w/the cylinder number from which each came. When I showed them to my friend, he exclaimed, "Are those out of the Toyota? You just changed those, those are bad, that's yer problem." I wonder if there is a way, other than a multi-meter and/or sticking them into the end of a spark plug wire, to see if they are actually making spark or not? Any methods you can steer me towards testing them or just visual indicators as clues to a non-functioning spark plug?

For now, I will just try to clean these old plugs and see if the car will start after those are Bright, Shiny and Wanting to be New.

Tags
air temp sensor, camshaft position sensor, maf, mass air flow sensor, system too lean