Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-03-2015, 04:43 PM   #1
BennyLava

Drives: 1987 Silverado
Ugh.. so how much is this going to cost me? (broken key)

So the internal plastic in my keyfob finally broke. I'm hoping that someone here can tell me a few things about them. Like, would you buy this? And where can you get the new key cut? Anywhere else besides the toyota dealership?

And is there any reason I couldn't just put my old metal key into the new case? I'm asking all this because I still remember the days of replacing your key costing more than a couple of car payments, on some vehicles.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Remote-K...48b14c&vxp=mtr
BennyLava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 05:27 PM   #2
The Limo 2

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
If the new case is the same as your old case it should work. Just take the insides and the cut key part out of your old case and replace the broken parts of the case with new parts and put it back together.
Roy
The Limo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:30 PM   #3
BennyLava

Can you? It looks like the plastic piece that broke was holding the key in. Then again, they got it in there somehow. I'll give it a shot and post back with the results.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:53 PM   #4
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
You must have turned really hard to break that. no offence.

The key is kind of bonded with the plastic, i don't see how you could remove it without breaking the plastic to put it in another key.

BUT, why don't you just get the new plastic casing (your ebay link) and have the key cut?
Old 02-04-2015, 04:38 AM   #5
BennyLava

Will they cut these keys at home depot or any random key cutter place? Or do you have to take it to the toyota dealership?
Old 02-04-2015, 12:29 PM   #6
The Limo 2

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
While I have not taken my Toyota key apart, I did it with my smart (car) key. One of the covers on the case for locking/unlocking the doors broke and fell off the case. I split the case like you do when you replace the battery inside. Threw the broken front part of the case in the recycling bin, replaced the battery while I had it open, snapped the new front part of the case onto the old key and it was done.
Roy
The Limo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 01:49 PM   #7
shepd

Drives: 2007 Yaris 5 door RS
So long as you don't have an engine immobilizer (no plastic ring around your ignition) you can have a new key cut at any cheap key cutting place for a couple of dollars. It'll work just fine.

If you have an engine immobilizer, the car will not start properly without the more expensive transponder key. Those can be cut at independent shops for about $50. You may need your old key fob for it to be cloned.

Either way, you would be missing the keyless entry portion. To get that working, you'll likely need a locksmith or Toyota. Expect to pay more than $50 in that case, although $50 would probably cover the locksmith's labour if you brought the car to him (A $2 key would be a good investment anyways, if you don't have an engine immobilizer!) and you brought him a keyfob blank.
shepd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 11:37 AM   #8
BennyLava

Thanks for the help all. Got it off ebay and got it cut for free. Whole repair was $6
Old 02-23-2015, 08:44 PM   #9
Em_

Drives: 2007 Yaris
How did you program it ? Does it have a chip?
Em_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 01:31 PM   #10
BennyLava

No chip. Didn't have to program. Just got it cut at the hardware store and it works.