Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-22-2016, 11:20 AM   #1
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
New 2016 Civic Sedan

No, I didn't buy one, but we've recently spend time in them. I have to say, the 1.4-t engine is pretty decent! Nice car. Really looking forward to the Si model to see what Honda has up its sleeves.

http://www.subcompactculture.com/201...n-touring.html
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 11:53 AM   #2
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
I may be in the minority, but I think absolutely everything about the 2016's exterior design is bloody hideous!
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 01:44 PM   #3
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
I'm not a fan of various styling aspects of the latest Civic - though the coupe does pull it off better than the sedan. Both still look much better than the latest Corolla, however (sadly enough). I would rank it with the 2016 Scion iM in terms of overall styling appeal (to me) - putting it somewhere in the vast gray area between "I like it" and "I hate it".

I'm betting that the Si and Type-R will be really OVER-THE-TOP ridiculous in styling, and be a teenage-boy dream clown-car come true.

On a related note, I really don't like how compact cars are getting bigger and bigger. The latest Civic is easily as large (or larger) than my 2000 Accord Sedan was. They might as well call it the 'Accord-C'.

Last edited by Kalispel; 07-22-2016 at 02:01 PM.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 02:34 AM   #4
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
Looking forward to the hatchback.Not a fan of sedans.

Anyway Hyundai apparently is releasing a I30 N an AWD 2 ltr turbo.

Honda needs to stop mucking about and produce an AWD turbo now..
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 12:46 PM   #5
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
I actually installed the assembly cell for the A/T shifter, and we sell the M/T knob. I'm not a huge fan of the styling of the console, but it pays the bills. ;)
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 02:54 PM   #6
Deathegg

Drives: 2010 Yaris hatch
I've driven the new Civic - it does drive/handle very well, but if you're getting the Auto, the CVT is a deal-breaker, just like it is on any Nissan product. The new Elantra is better-looking, and has a very nice traditional Auto. And yes, the new Civic just looks odd. Who came up with that huge chrome snout??
Old 07-31-2016, 03:34 PM   #7
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathegg View Post
Who came up with that huge chrome snout??
That's the first thing I noticed and I just can't unnotice it. Really ugly IMHO. It seems most recent auto designs turn me off.
NYC-SE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 01:41 PM   #8
Kalispel

I don't think I could stomach the car except in the lowly LX trim, w/manual (preferably as a coupe, or perhaps upcoming hatchback). The higher trims have all sorts of crazy/stupid/unnecessary tech-bloat that is all the rage now apparently, and the LED headlights look a lot cheesier than the regular projector headlights that are standard on the lower trims. Those same basic elements are what drove me away from the Acura ILX.

I agree with the comment on the front chrome face-plate trim. Way too overstated, just like the ginormous fog light housing (and rear fake bumper vents). Honda/Acura styling has been favoring these elements, it would seem, across most of their models lately. Overall, the car has a neutral aesthetic appeal for me - I don't hate it or love it. I've definitely seen a lot worse.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:16 PM   #9
Deathegg

Drives: 2010 Yaris hatch
Drove a new Civic again today, and really paid attention to the CVT. It's actually...ok. Much better feeling than the Nissan or Toyota units, but still a deal-breaker. Also drove today a brand new Accord, with CVT. More power makes it feel much better, but again, not for me.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:34 PM   #10
Kalispel

Pic of the rump-end on the 2017 Civic hatch.

Honda sure has a fetish for those ginormous fake vent/grill housings on the front/rear of most of their newer vehicles. I guess that it is supposed to make the car more aggressive looking.

Old 08-09-2016, 05:06 PM   #11
tarkus

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS 3-Door
Really don't like what Honda has done with the new Civic's styling. Somewhere between ridiculous and ugly.

Toyota/Lexus have now also decided to go for ugly in their latest models, in some kind of failed attempt to look more edgy.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 06:59 PM   #12
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post

Honda sure has a fetish for those ginormous fake vent/grill housings on the front/rear of most of their newer vehicles. I guess that it is supposed to make the car more aggressive looking.
Seems many new cars have incorporated those huge foglight and reflector surrounds into their designs. They just look stupid IMHO.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote