Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-27-2018, 04:52 AM   #19
bradbowl
Hatchbacks for the win

Drives: Hatchbacks
After finishing up the compound/polish/wax process and cleaning the interior really well, I have moved onto painting the steelies. The wheel covers were pretty curbed up and cracked and with all the potholes where I live, wheel covers just love to fly off.

One thing I noticed is when I open the hatch, it only goes up as far as I push it up. I'm used to opening the hatch and the struts provide enough lift to push it up by themselves. After hitting my head against the liftgate twice in two days, I decided to look for replacement ones and was delighted to see that they are only around $22/shipped at Amazon.

Last edited by bradbowl; 11-20-2018 at 09:35 PM.
bradbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 11:15 PM   #20
bradbowl
Hatchbacks for the win

Drives: Hatchbacks
I installed a few new goodies:

1. Osram Nightbreaker headlight bulbs. Huge thanks for the excellent knowledge here on the forums to remove the upper bumper cover. It took me a solid hour, but now that I know what I'm doing, it wouldn't take much time at all.

2. Stubby antenna. It's technically an OEM Honda part but it works and looks great. I was worried about signal degradation with some of those cheaper and shorter eBay ones.

3. Fixed serpentine belt squeal on cold startup. There's a ton of information about this issue floating around the forums/YouTube, and I decided to go with a small tightening of the belt instead of using belt conditioner. That, coupled with waiting for a second or two in ACC mode before starting it up, fixed the issue completely.

4. Cleaned and adjusted the drum brakes. I noticed the parking brake had to be pulled up about 10 "clicks" so after researching it, I decided to adjust it using the star adjuster method. I did see that there is a way to adjust it from inside the cabin and also by driving in reverse a bunch of times. Those would have been easier, but I wanted to learn how to clean and adjust them myself.

I'm enjoying the car a lot. Having a hip 2-door coupe makes me feel younger.
bradbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:55 AM   #21
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradbowl View Post
I installed a few new goodies:

1. Osram Nightbreaker headlight bulbs. Huge thanks for the excellent knowledge here on the forums to remove the upper bumper cover. It took me a solid hour, but now that I know what I'm doing, it wouldn't take much time at all.

2. Stubby antenna. It's technically an OEM Honda part but it works and looks great. I was worried about signal degradation with some of those cheaper and shorter eBay ones.

3. Fixed serpentine belt squeal on cold startup. There's a ton of information about this issue floating around the forums/YouTube, and I decided to go with a small tightening of the belt instead of using belt conditioner. That, coupled with waiting for a second or two in ACC mode before starting it up, fixed the issue completely.

4. Cleaned and adjusted the drum brakes. I noticed the parking brake had to be pulled up about 10 "clicks" so after researching it, I decided to adjust it using the star adjuster method. I did see that there is a way to adjust it from inside the cabin and also by driving in reverse a bunch of times. Those would have been easier, but I wanted to learn how to clean and adjust them myself.

I'm enjoying the car a lot. Having a hip 2-door coupe makes me feel younger.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 09:18 AM   #22
Bart68

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Nice Colour and your Yaris looks to be in very nice shape, congrats.

Bart68 is offline   Reply With Quote