Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Canada
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-20-2009, 12:22 PM   #73
salmonz

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan
2007 Toyota Yaris

So this morning my ABS and ! light went off too.

Brought the car to the dealership almost immediately. They scanned the car and the right rear ABS sensor is corroded and has to be replaced.

My car is a 2007 Toyota Yaris, 57000km. It's been really cold and slushy lately.

I asked the dealership to check the left one and they said they have to charge me $59. I gave them $1it, saying I won't wait for a computer to tell me something needs to be replaced when the tech can just look at it. My warranty is almost done and I'm not going to be on the hook for something that is defective from the beginning. They agreed to check the left one free of charge. They came back and the tech said it looked fine. They also said 1 out of 31 they've seen lately is on the left. I told them fine, just replace the right one. When the left one goes, I'll tell them about today and hold them to it that it should have been covered under warranty. I'm not paying $500 for something that should have been dealt with and fixed by Toyota.

They can't repair it today as 31 right rear sensors are on backorder. "31"!!!
There's definitely a problem with the Toyota Yaris's out there. There should be a recall for both left and right rear sensors.
salmonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 07:02 PM   #74
Dave

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
This is nuts. Is there a Canadian equivalent to the NHTSA where these issues can be formally registered? Can we write to the Office of Consumer Affairs?
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 07:40 PM   #75
onizuka

Drives: Yaris Blk 5 Drs RS
The reason we won't get a recall is that the volume in Canada is so slim for Toyota to consider a recall. Also it only happens when and where it's cold, that's why you only hear it from us, the canadians. You don't see any americans from So-Cal complaining about that problem.
onizuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 10:29 PM   #76
Dave

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Maybe one of the affected posters could write in to the Toronto Star's Wheels section for advice on how to get Toyota moving on this issue.

This is clearly not an isolated incident, and seems to be popping up as people's warranties are about to expire. Attention from a newspaper may add a little more publicity to the issue, and motivate Toyota to come up with a solution for all Yaris owners. At the very least, they (Wheels columnists) may give some advice on who to talk to without getting a boilerplate email response or a brush-off at a dealership.

Website is www.wheels.ca. Check the "Columns & Advice" section for previous Q&A's, and the email address for writing in. I'm pretty sure it's just wheels (a t) thestar.ca. Applicable column is probably "Your Beef".

I'd do it myself, but my car's been fine so far *fingers crossed*.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:56 PM   #77
devinlamothe

Drives: '07 Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Maybe one of the affected posters could write in to the Toronto Star's Wheels section for advice on how to get Toyota moving on this issue.

This is clearly not an isolated incident, and seems to be popping up as people's warranties are about to expire. Attention from a newspaper may add a little more publicity to the issue, and motivate Toyota to come up with a solution for all Yaris owners. At the very least, they (Wheels columnists) may give some advice on who to talk to without getting a boilerplate email response or a brush-off at a dealership.

Website is www.wheels.ca. Check the "Columns & Advice" section for previous Q&A's, and the email address for writing in. I'm pretty sure it's just wheels (a t) thestar.ca. Applicable column is probably "Your Beef".

I'd do it myself, but my car's been fine so far *fingers crossed*.
I just sent something in and linked this thread as an example. Unfortunately for me, my "!" and ABS lights went on again after it got warmer out, and the roads were rather slushy. It went away again when it got colder (doesn't make sense).

This is absolutely ridiculous on Toyota's part. My confidence in them is slowly starting to diminish.
devinlamothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:24 AM   #78
EDMR2

Drives: 2007 yaris S
If you don't want to fix it , can the code be erase so both of the lights comes off
EDMR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:22 PM   #79
Former_Neon

Drives: 1997 Yaris LE
I started up my Yaris on Tuesday and the ABS and (!) lights were on. I took it to useless Whitby Toyota and, as usual, was treated with disdain. They told me they have to order the speed sensor part and they "don't know" when it'll be in.
To hell with them, I'm taking my business to a different Toyota.

By the way...is this the Toyota quality I've heard so much about? Just over a year of ownership and now this.
Former_Neon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 07:54 AM   #80
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
My father works for Toyota in the west and said they are not seeing these issues at his dealership. I am wondering if whether the salt they use in Ontario is causing this problem on an obviously defective setup?
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 05:17 PM   #81
Pars

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDMR2 View Post
If you don't want to fix it , can the code be erase so both of the lights comes off
Nope. I asked the mechanic the same question, he said that he could turn off the abs light, but once I re-start the car, it'll do a start-up check and the lights would come back on.

I suppose opening up the dash and disconnecting the bulb would work. If anyone got pic on opening up the dash?
Pars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 10:17 PM   #82
Bobby B
Car crazy

Drives: 06 Yaris RS 06 CR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by salmonz View Post
So this morning my ABS and ! light went off too.

Brought the car to the dealership almost immediately. They scanned the car and the right rear ABS sensor is corroded and has to be replaced.

My car is a 2007 Toyota Yaris, 57000km. It's been really cold and slushy lately.

I asked the dealership to check the left one and they said they have to charge me $59. I gave them $1it, saying I won't wait for a computer to tell me something needs to be replaced when the tech can just look at it. My warranty is almost done and I'm not going to be on the hook for something that is defective from the beginning. They agreed to check the left one free of charge. They came back and the tech said it looked fine. They also said 1 out of 31 they've seen lately is on the left. I told them fine, just replace the right one. When the left one goes, I'll tell them about today and hold them to it that it should have been covered under warranty. I'm not paying $500 for something that should have been dealt with and fixed by Toyota.

They can't repair it today as 31 right rear sensors are on backorder. "31"!!!
There's definitely a problem with the Toyota Yaris's out there. There should be a recall for both left and right rear sensors.
Interesting...
My dealer said it's "ALWAYS" the Left rear...
My wife's lights went on again and off again this week...
Bobby B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 01:42 AM   #83
Former_Neon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby B View Post
Interesting...
My dealer said it's "ALWAYS" the Left rear...
My wife's lights went on again and off again this week...
Mine is the right rear also. It'll take 2 to 3 weeks for them to get the part in. What a crock! Can anyone explain why it would take a dealership so long to get a part in for a car they still sell? It's not like they have to get a factory to start manufacturing it.

Last edited by Former_Neon; 01-25-2009 at 01:43 AM. Reason: Typing error
Old 01-25-2009, 11:32 PM   #84
Bobby B
Car crazy

Drives: 06 Yaris RS 06 CR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Neon View Post
Mine is the right rear also. It'll take 2 to 3 weeks for them to get the part in. What a crock! Can anyone explain why it would take a dealership so long to get a part in for a car they still sell? It's not like they have to get a factory to start manufacturing it.
I got an ETA of middle of February.
I suspect the reason for the delay is they have an issue and the parts are now back ordered to Japan, hopefully with a fix.
I hear Toyota is instructing the dealers to try and clean them.
Bobby B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:45 PM   #85
Pars

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby B View Post
I got an ETA of middle of February.
I suspect the reason for the delay is they have an issue and the parts are now back ordered to Japan, hopefully with a fix.
I hear Toyota is instructing the dealers to try and clean them.
The senior mechanic over at Toyota on Front spent 2 hrs trying to fix mine before they gave-up and put in an order for a new wiring harness. I doubt trying to fix it will work. It'll probably eat up a lot of the mechanic's time with very little result.

With all shit I caused about this issue last year, I'm surprised it's taking this long for anything constructive to happen.
Pars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:02 AM   #86
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pars View Post
With all shit I caused about this issue last year, I'm surprised it's taking this long for anything constructive to happen.
For something constructive to happen, someone has to put in more than the bare minimum effort..... that's not a popular thing anymore.
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:45 AM   #87
steved
Yaris Rules!!

Drives: 2007 Red Yaris Liftback a/t
I haven't been able to come to the forum often, but I posted two weeks ago that my lights came on. When I went to the dealer they said it was the rear left speed sensor and wire harness that has to be changed.

2 weeks later still waiting for the parts, When I called they said there are a lot of people waiting for the same part.

Toyota should make a recall on this to change all sensors and harness.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:52 PM   #88
Former_Neon

When I asked the service advisor if he had a lot of customers complaining about this he said no (probably lied). I told him that plenty of people were complaining online about it and his first response was, "Oh, is it an American site?" What the hell does that have to do with anything? It's unreal the way Canadian retailers, etc deal with their customers. It's never the fault of the manufacturer/retailer and always the fault of the customer somehow.
I hope this recession sure changes the attitudes of those who deal with the public.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:59 PM   #89
BLAZINBLUEVITZ

Drives: 2007 YARIS 3DOOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by steved View Post
I haven't been able to come to the forum often, but I posted two weeks ago that my lights came on. When I went to the dealer they said it was the rear left speed sensor and wire harness that has to be changed.

2 weeks later still waiting for the parts, When I called they said there are a lot of people waiting for the same part.

Toyota should make a recall on this to change all sensors and harness.
its not a recall yet but it is a TSB. parts are on back order and have been since november of last year.....
BLAZINBLUEVITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 05:34 PM   #90
uncleyaris

Drives: 2007 Bayou Blue!!!!!!!
I'm so happy I don't have ABS, but wish those who do Best of luck!!!!!!!!!!!1
uncleyaris is offline   Reply With Quote