Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-12-2009, 09:21 PM   #37
FunctionSpec
Super Newbie

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback White
So what is the point of this DIY thread? To fix your broken junkyard 1ZZ TB? Why not return it and get another one?
FunctionSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:42 PM   #38
yarstar

Drives: 2008 Absolute Red HB
To summarize:

The mod is to replace the OEM throttle body off the 1.5L engine with a TB from a 1.8L. The 1ZZFE TB (1.8L) give you alot more air flow. The benefit is definitely felt in the mid to upper acceleration range. The car basically has alot more torque.

The problems with this mod have been numerous. The engine ocillates for some time once the new TB is installed. A high (3000rpm) idle is seen at cold starts. Usually within a few miles of travel, the Check Engine Light comes on (CEL). The ocillation problems seems to fix itself as the ECU learns the new TB, but the high cold idle and CEL issue remains. By changing out the chip, we are seeking to solve these issues.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:49 PM   #39
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
But the chip changing won't change the high idle when the car starts.
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:16 PM   #40
yarstar

You are correct Peter.

Since the re-install, the high cold idle seems to be significantly shortened. It now only idles high for @ 2 minutes. It then goes down to a regular idle once the cold light is off (its currently 50-60F here). That may be due to the current temp and nothing to do with the TB.

On the other problem, I got a CEL again today. I don't know why. I followed this DIY to the letter. At this point, I'm gonna live with it. I took my car over the mountain today (very curvy roads), and couldn't BELIEVE how much torque the car has! I nearly lost it more than once. I think this mod really works well with a header. My car drives and sounds like a roadster now, not an econobox. I don't think any damage is being done with the CEL. If anyone knows otherwise, I'd appreciate the input. Can a car get too much air?

Last edited by yarstar; 03-13-2009 at 08:00 AM.
yarstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:31 PM   #41
PETERPOOP

I will definately be doing this in the near future.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:38 PM   #42
yarstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERPOOP View Post
I will definately be doing this in the near future.
You will not regret it.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:51 AM   #43
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
I'm also interested in this let me know what that cel was from please ill probably go junkyard hunting this week to see if they have any or grab one off ebay, hopefully that cel is from something completely different! Autozone and etc do free obdii checks! Ill post up again when I get back from vegas
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 07:57 AM   #44
hatchbackkid82

Drives: .
Yeah but it gets rid of the check engine lights
hatchbackkid82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:23 AM   #45
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

Drives: 15 STI
Send a message via AIM to mikenacarato
no it doesnt. myself and someone else above still have lights, mine has come and gone 3 times since the chip swap.
mikenacarato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 03:25 PM   #46
lilredrocket
Slowy getting there

Drives: 08 Liftback
What is the code that comes up?
lilredrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 03:34 PM   #47
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

idle control. same as it was with the original chip.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:49 AM   #48
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
What do you mean, you almost lost it?
How could this one mod change the HP/Torque so much? Well to add more to this, there is no proof like dyno numbers.

Hmm it does seem like a good idea, like changing this out and getting a SRI or CAI?
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 03:23 AM   #49
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

you dont almost lose a CEL. its either a code or its not. once a car goes through a driving cycle (50-100 miles, many starts and stops, etc...) it will reset the system making the light go off. if it is really a fixed problem it stays off, if it doesnt get fixed it comes back on. the code does not get fully erased from the computer unless its completely fixed. so while the light was going off for me, the code is still active in the bank and is not fixed and will not pass emissions as long as it is stored in the bank.
Old 03-14-2009, 03:26 AM   #50
PETERPOOP

With that sad, do you regret putting it on?
Old 03-14-2009, 03:38 AM   #51
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

nah, i know i can just swap TBs a week before emissions and it will be fine.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:36 AM   #52
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
for those who have the Idling Control CEL (P0505), a question:

Have you tried to reset the ECU? (by disconnecting the battery for a little while or removing the appropriate fuse). I am looking through the repair manuals about this specific trouble code, it happens when the idle speed does not match to the learned air intake volume. i.e. this bigger throttle is letting in more air at idle, more than the ECU remembers from the original throttle, thus it throws a code.

So, letting the car idle for a long time when it is warmed up is one way to "re-learn" the idle airflow, or resetting the ECU is potentially risky but should be faster.

On the other hand, the high warmup idle, I'm not sure anything can be done about that, but in itself it should not be throwing any malfunction codes.

For reference:
Quote:
DESCRIPTION
The idling speed is controlled by the ETCS (Electronic Throttle Control System). The ETCS is comprised of:
1) the one valve type throttle body;
2) the throttle actuator, which operates the throttle valve;
3) the Throttle Position (TP) sensor, which detects the opening angle of the throttle valve;
4) the Accelerator Pedal Position (APP) sensor, which detects the accelerator pedal position; and
5) the ECM, which controls the ETCS. Based on the target idling speed, the ECM controls the throttle actuator to provide the proper throttle valve opening angle.

MONITOR DESCRIPTION
The ECM monitors the idling speed and idling air flow volume to conduct Idle Speed Control (ISC). The ECM determines that the ISC system is malfunctioning if the following conditions apply:
• The learned idling air flow volume remains at the maximum or minimum volume 5 times or more during a drive cycle.
• After driving at 6.25 mph (10 km/h) or more, the actual engine idling speed varies from the target idling speed by between 100 rpm and 200 rpm, 5 times or more during a drive cycle.

Example:
If the actual idling speed varies from the target idling speed by more than 200 rpm* 5 times during a drive cycle, the ECM illuminates the MIL and sets the DTC.
HINT:
*: Threshold idling speed varies with engine load.
Just a theory, really, but worth trying!

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 04:43 PM   #53
FunctionSpec
Super Newbie

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback White
I bet whoever is getting CELs are running the same CAI system. The upgraded TB probably disrupted the balance of being more free-flowing and not throwing CEL for specific CAI systems.

What kind of CAI are you guys running?
FunctionSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 05:10 PM   #54
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

Ive let me car idle for a very long time and i have also reset the ecu by doing the battery thing as well.

i am running a trd intake