Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-04-2009, 02:17 PM   #73
andaconda

Drives: '09 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
Your tetanus shots up to date, Andaconda?
I don't believe I've ever had one???
andaconda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 02:20 PM   #74
andaconda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sora65 View Post
Yeah im about to do this today. hopefully works out well.
Another question.
for the yaris sedan.. the one i have...

can you insulate passed the tube. like where the pipe line hits the compressor?
It kinda looks like a pain to do. but i like cold :)
Mine is the sedan too. It's easy to get to the pipe coming out of the compressor. Look at my second to last photo (on page 5 of this topic) of the pump itself.
Old 07-04-2009, 04:34 PM   #75
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
so is there a general consensus as to what the insulating material should be? I dont want melting insulation.
Old 07-04-2009, 06:33 PM   #76
andaconda

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNet0 View Post
so is there a general consensus as to what the insulating material should be? I dont want melting insulation.
As you can see on page 5 - the fifth photo down, I used copper pipe insulation that has about a 3/4 inch inner diameter. The insulation is about another 3/4 inch thick. I then wrapped it with aluminum tape for heat protection from the engine and exhaust manifold.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:04 PM   #77
AlexNet0

Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
Quote:
Originally Posted by andaconda View Post
As you can see on page 5 - the fifth photo down, I used copper pipe insulation that has about a 3/4 inch inner diameter. The insulation is about another 3/4 inch thick. I then wrapped it with aluminum tape for heat protection from the engine and exhaust manifold.
so the heat tape stopped the insulation from melting? I would think that it would still heat up inside, just not as much radiant heat would make it through the tape. Im just worried that the general ambient temperature due to the close proximity to the exhaust manifold will still melt the insulation under the tape.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:49 PM   #78
firebob

Drives: 09 yaris
The aluminum tape will help the heat transfer. With a few layers of wrap it should help spread the heat out.
Old 07-05-2009, 03:55 AM   #79
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
Almost completed this thing except for the alum.wrap near the pulley/engine mount - how
the heck do you wrap that area? I can't get my fingers and tape around there!!
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 08:23 AM   #80
andaconda

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
Almost completed this thing except for the alum.wrap near the pulley/engine mount - how
the heck do you wrap that area? I can't get my fingers and tape around there!!
I cut out a section of the insulation to go around the mounting brackets and just used short pieces of tape rather that go a continuous wrap. Near the alternator, I didn't bother to wrap it at all.
I also offered a little blood to the 'engine bay gods' and that helped too.
Old 07-05-2009, 03:07 PM   #81
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Quote:
I don't believe I've ever had one???
If you grew up in the U.S. since about the '50s, it's unlikely that you haven't had a primary tetanus immunization series. Required to go to school. But you're supposed to get a booster every 10 years, just in case you do stuff like gouge up your hands while working on your car. Lockjaw's bad stuff.

I suppose this is DIYer maintenance/service. :D
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 03:13 PM   #82
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
If you grew up in the U.S. since about the '50s, it's unlikely that you haven't had a primary tetanus immunization series. Required to go to school. But you're supposed to get a booster every 10 years, just in case you do stuff like gouge up your hands while working on your car. Lockjaw's bad stuff.

I suppose this is DIYer maintenance/service. :D
Hmmm, you are correct, the cdc website says DTaP is required across all 50 states, but I only remember getting tetanus shots post-injury. Maybe I just don't remember because its a combo vaccine for school requirements, and just a tetanus shots after injury.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 06:18 PM   #83
texkid
The one with cheese on it

Drives: '10 Corolla S
Quote:
Originally Posted by supmet View Post
Hmmm, you are correct, the cdc website says DTaP is required across all 50 states, but I only remember getting tetanus shots post-injury. Maybe I just don't remember because its a combo vaccine for school requirements, and just a tetanus shots after injury.
Rule of thumb is that if you don't remember your last DTaP shot then its time for booster.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:11 PM   #84
AlexNet0

Quote:
Originally Posted by texkid View Post
Rule of thumb is that if you don't remember your last DTaP shot then its time for booster.
Lol, indeed.

Ive been lucky having cut myself, not so lightly, several times in the last two years, on not so clean metal, and havent had lockjaw yet, even though my tetanus is wayy overdue.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:30 PM   #85
texkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNet0 View Post
Lol, indeed.

Ive been lucky having cut myself, not so lightly, several times in the last two years, on not so clean metal, and havent had lockjaw yet, even though my tetanus is wayy overdue.
That's why its good for 10 years.

Go ahead and treat yourself to a nice DTaP shot and enjoy the next 10 years of bumps, scrapes, and cuts. You know, the way God designed us to do.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:23 AM   #86
nth09

Drives: vios
are those aluminum tape the same that we use in the kitchen? Or is it a sticky back tape?
nth09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:31 AM   #87
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
^ It feels like aluminum foil that we use in the kitchen, but one side is sticky. That's why it's called aluminum tape.

I think I might have done a little overkill. On the back end, after wrapping with aluminum tape,
I had some Thermo-Tec Heat Shield left over and wrapped some more.
I think the Thermo-Tec can withstand the heat much better than the aluminum tape.
By the way, do you wrap that big bubble like thing in between the tube by the ECU? What is that for?

yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:21 AM   #88
andaconda

Quote:
Originally Posted by texkid View Post
Ah, come on now. Suck it up, and toughen yourselves up!
Old 07-06-2009, 12:26 PM   #89
PatrickJohnson

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
Quote:
^ It feels like aluminum foil that we use in the kitchen, but one side is sticky. That's why it's called aluminum tape.

I think I might have done a little overkill. On the back end, after wrapping with aluminum tape,
I had some Thermo-Tec Heat Shield left over and wrapped some more.
I think the Thermo-Tec can withstand the heat much better than the aluminum tape.
By the way, do you wrap that big bubble like thing in between the tube by the ECU? What is that for?

If you read earlier in the thread, i think it's actually the original post, it says you don't have to cover that part, but that it does make a difference if you do. I don't have that part covered on my install, but only because I didn't have large enough material to do so, and i plan on doing it when i get back to the store.
PatrickJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:59 PM   #90
texkid

Quote:
Ah, come on now. Suck it up, and toughen yourselves up!
My, my...

You can't really "toughen yourself" out of lock-jaw. In fact, that is the first sign that you should get treated. Why? I am glad you asked.....After your jaw locks up, your neck muscles and the muscles you use to facilitate in breathing begin to "lock-up". Once that happens, which are the late signs of a tetanus infection, you can't scream for help much less breathe effectively; putting you into respiratory arrest and then....well you get the rest.

Hence why it is important to be up to date with your vaccines. Besides, can you imagine what our friends will say? "Did you hear about 'so-and-so'? After he modified his car he died of tetanus. Who wants dibs on this car?"

Quote:
Honestly, I don't know what it is for. All I know is that it is wider and needs more material to wrap. It did make about a 3 to 5 degree difference when I wrapped it up. And yes, it was mentioned in my initial post.