Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-01-2010, 01:47 AM   #1
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
push start vs electric start?

okay, since the topic i was in before got locked (thanks to ppl who couldn't stay on topic) now i really wonder, whats better for the over all life of my car? push starting it or crank start?

my driveway is on a bit of a slope and i could easily roll start my car everymorning. i always thought roll start was bad for it? should we be roll starting it at any oppertunity?

just a little side note, our little yarii is so light you can run beside it, jump in and put it in gear (and allow it to start) all by yourself!! lol, no hill required!! my friends thought it was really funny, lol
Old 04-01-2010, 02:48 AM   #2
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
I don't think you would hurt the engine.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:57 AM   #3
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
I like the way that Nissan does it. You have your key on your person. You walk into your car. You sit down. You hit the button. Engine starts. That is all.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:13 AM   #4
firebob

Drives: 09 yaris
I don’t think it would hurt it as long as you put it in 4th or 5th gear for starting. If it was below 40*F I would think twice about it.

As far as staying on subject what’s up with post #3?
Old 04-01-2010, 10:25 AM   #5
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
To prolong the life of your battery and starter, and to save big on fuel you should consider pushing your Yaris everywhere. Just get a couple of chock-blocks and rope and hang them around your neck for when it comes time to slow down...that'll save $$ on brake pads too.

Me, I'm going to strap a tow rope around my waist and attach it to the tow hook and drag my Yaris around town...I'll get my friend to steer and brake for me.

Seriously, if you're sooo worried about the starter wearing out, use it, now, for the 100k miles or more of life that it probably has in it, then if it starts to shows signs of failure, that's when I start worrying about push starting it if I didn't want to replace it.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD

Last edited by 1stToyota; 04-01-2010 at 10:36 AM.
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:12 AM   #6
redglare45

Drives: 07 Sedan - 5 Speed Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stToyota View Post
To prolong the life of your battery and starter, and to save big on fuel you should consider pushing your Yaris everywhere. Just get a couple of chock-blocks and rope and hang them around your neck for when it comes time to slow down...that'll save $$ on brake pads too.

Me, I'm going to strap a tow rope around my waist and attach it to the tow hook and drag my Yaris around town...I'll get my friend to steer and brake for me. ....
LOL!!!

Seriously, I would stick to electric start. Starter should have easily over 100,000 miles. I would only use a push/jump start if my battery was dead and needed to jump start the car.
redglare45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:15 AM   #7
yaris2010RS

Quote:

Me, I'm going to strap a tow rope around my waist and attach it to the tow hook and drag my Yaris around town...I'll get my friend to steer and brake for me.
ROTF!! LMFAO, i'm not really worried about the wear on the starter itself..... more the engine. i know start up hurts and was jsut wondering if roll starting it would be any better for the engine?

i have been assuming that roll starting is rough on tranny..... but not gonna lie, i haven't looked into it..... jsut assuming
Old 04-01-2010, 11:24 AM   #8
redglare45

Drives: 07 Sedan - 5 Speed Manual
I think either way you start the engine, there will have to be a spark in order to turn on the engine. So I don't see how either way of starting your car, will prolong engine life.

I think the roll start will prob do more harm to your clutch & tranny, since you have to pop the clutch in order to start it.
redglare45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:59 AM   #9
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
The cost to replace your starter (should it ever fail) would be considerably less than a clutch job. Bump starting is okay when necessary but not a practical, daily procedure.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 01:08 PM   #10
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
I always bump start in 5th gear and then shift to the appropriate gear and go. Doing it in 5th places little mechanical stress on the involved components.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 04:40 PM   #11
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
junkstart is more stressful on a cold engine than starting with the starter

when you start with the starter, the engine only need to turn it's own
crank and flywheel... and when junkstarting, stress goes beyond the motor
and everything is cold and poorly lubed.

it is designed to start with the starter motor. it is not designed to start with
a junkstart. it just 'happens' to be able to be junkstarted, but it is not recommended
to do it all the time. stuff will certainly wear harder, and may break eventually

and

if you ever had an engine condition that would prevent start, and the ECU could sense
(such as crank position for one) and you forced a junkstart, you could grenade the motor
I am talking rare, but possible
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:27 PM   #12
Rick

Drives: '08 Yaris LB 5M
I'll try to calmly salvage this before it goes sideways.

Some of your observations would apply to a very poorly executed bump start, but a properly executed bump start is actually less stressful than using the starter.

Using the starter is often much more convenient though.

The design fundamentals of the engine pre-dates electric starters.

The last statement reveals to me that you don't understand the controller firmware very well. In the absence of clean and rational cam and crank position signals the firmware will never dispense fuel or fire spark plugs no matter what is making the engine spin. If it doesn't KNOW where it is it does nothing. By design.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:18 AM   #13
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
What's so stressful about using the starter the way it was designed? With clutch pedal depressed all you're dealing with is the motor. With a push start the entire drivetrain is involved.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 10:36 AM   #14
thewifesyaris

Drives: 2007 and 2008 MM Yari LBs
Sorry to bud in but I am confused.
What the hell does it matter.
Start your car the way you would like to start your car. Personally I like the fact that when I turn the key it turns on. The guy who sold me the car even demonstrated this for me since I was unaware of how to turn on a car properly. ;)
No but seriously, if you don't want to trust any one here call your local mechanic or something. Ask them. They should be able to tell you wether or not it is okay. Personally I would have to agree that a starter is super easy to replace and usually is not that expensive. The transmission is a hunk of cash that I don't see myself ever wanting to replace or perform work on. I understand where some are coming from, that when done right it is safe, but when done right turning the key is pretty safe too, not to mention pretty idiot proof.
I know this much I sure as hell know how to turn the key a lot better than I would know about a bumpstart.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:57 AM   #15
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redglare45 View Post
LOL!!!

Seriously, I would stick to electric start. Starter should have easily over 100,000 miles. I would only use a push/jump start if my battery was dead and needed to jump start the car.
+1

My 2 c: I'm not a mechanic so take it with a grain of salt. I use my starter, and only pop the clutch when I can't start any other way.

Last edited by tomato; 04-02-2010 at 01:09 PM. Reason: forgot +1
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:57 AM   #16
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redglare45 View Post
LOL!!!

I'm not a mechanic so take it with a grain of salt. I use my starter, and only pop the clutch when I can't start any other way.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:03 PM   #17
Rick

Drives: '08 Yaris LB 5M
thewifesyaris:

Thank you. Sometimes I have to wonder if I am simply unable to communicate with my own species. It's apparently not always the case.

1st:

The stress comment was based on the inherent 'soft-start' nature of a friction clutch vs the inherent 'peak torque at stall' nature of an electric motor. I think the starter actually 'hits' harder. As far as the drivetrain goes, it sees much greater stresses in the normal course of driving the vehicle than a proper bump-start induces. In a proper bump start you are no longer connected to the drivetrain when the engine fires. That is the key point to master. If you have mastered driving a manual transmission you have the requisite skills to bump-start.

All that said, using the starter is clearly the hands-down winner in a convenience contest.

I'm done with this.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:04 AM   #18
yaris2010RS

wow, thank u all.
after reading through all the posts i think i'll stick with electric start, yes we all know its more convenient then bump start but convenience wasn't the issue, it was engine life. (and i have changed my thoughts that bump start is better)

i understand if done PROPERLY or a correct way it can cause no excess wear....but really.... lol, has anyone tried sincroshifting? lol, no matter how many times u try and get it right.....u will still not get it 100% all the time. lol