Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-29-2016, 05:13 PM   #1
VaultTec

Drives: 2016 Yaris SE
In the market for a new car. Need help picking

Im currently in the market for another car that will be used only by me as a work commuter, weekend / fun car. I have no intentions of having tons of crap in the trunk or passengers all the time (only my wife and that would be rarely). So a cramped car is fine by me. I own a 2016 Yaris SE so I fell in love with the small car feel. Must be a coupe or hatch back. Budget hopefully under 25K. I look forward to hearing what you guys gotta say. Open to ideas, suggestion and comments!

One thing I wanted to add is I plan on buying the car brand new. I hate used cars. The only exception on this list for that would be the Yaris.

My choices so far are.. (In order of which I want most)

1) Fiat 500 Abarth
2) Ford Fiesta ST
3) Another Yaris
4) Toyota Prius C
VaultTec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 05:30 PM   #2
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
While the Fiat 500 Abarth and Fiesta ST are neat little "performance" cars, both suffer from absolutely miserable reliability ratings. I like to spend my money wisely... and avoid issues that can be extremely frustrating, so neither of those models would be contenders.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 05:54 PM   #3
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
My vote is $8-10k for a used Yaris!
Old 07-02-2016, 02:33 AM   #4
BLKHILLSGUY

Drives: 2011 3dr LB Polar White
I would patiently wait for the supposed new upcoming Prius C. That is what I am interested in. The new Prius is getting 52 mpg. So the C will likely do better than that. It's about time for a compete redesign. There is also talk that that the Prius wagon and/or C could both will be killed off. But more likely at this point that the C will return to live on another generation. I would NEVER buy a Fiat. Cute as shit, funky interior, horrid reliability. I also kind of like the new Smarts. Although they say they aren't Toyota reliable either.
BLKHILLSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 02:34 AM   #5
BLKHILLSGUY

Drives: 2011 3dr LB Polar White
And Fiesta's are also funky but very unreliable.
BLKHILLSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:13 AM   #6
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
I vote for a new Yaris SE, but the Prius C in traffic will save you on gas just a little just dont think the price difference is worth the savings in gas. At least here in Canada its a 10k jump in price .
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:06 AM   #7
NEexpat

Drives: 2009, auto, 4dr LB
Corolla,
Proven reliable platform, good gas mileage, does not feel small, although it doesn't fit the coupe/hatch component, the Corolla is often overlooked.
NEexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 04:56 PM   #8
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Personally, I'm shackled with the need for both reliability/quality AND aesthetic/driving appeal in my car choices, along with subcompact/compact stature (and preferably hatchback) - so my choices are next to zero presently. There literally isn't a new car out there currently, using my personal criteria, that I would want other than a Yaris SE (which isn't perfect either). All the others have either reliability/quality going for them OR aesthetic/driving appeal, OR neither (at least in my eyes).

If you don't want another 2015/2016 Yaris SE (understandable, since you already have one), then hold off and see what the new 2017 Yaris Hatch brings (hopefully not a fugly hatchback iA), or the 2017 Corolla refresh (the current one is fugly). There is also the new Toyota C-HR coming in 2017, which is a funky little compact crossover hatch. I haven't decided yet if I like the look of it or not.

Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 05:08 PM   #9
NEexpat

Drives: 2009, auto, 4dr LB
^ yeeech, don't care for rear windows like that. It looks like a Nissan Juke and a Pontiac Aztec had a Demon spawn. From breaking bad, to breaking bad taste.

Another option, hatch, not really a sub but a crossover that my gf, who currently drives a FIT, is looking at is the Honda HRV.

The one she looked at came in right around USD $ 25K.

*I actually like the Juke, just wish it wasn't built by Nissan.

Last edited by NEexpat; 07-02-2016 at 05:20 PM.
NEexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 05:36 PM   #10
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
There is also the new Toyota C-HR coming in 2017, which is a funky little compact crossover hatch. I haven't decided yet if I like the look of it or not.
Holy shite... that's fugly! I just don't get the current Toyota/Lexus design trend.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 07:05 PM   #11
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
I would get

Mazda 3 sp25/ mps
Mazda2
VW Golf R
Toyota Caldina import
Nissan Pulsar SSS turbo.
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:06 PM   #12
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
From your list I would go for the Fiesta if you want fun, and the Yaris if cost/reliability is more important. The Fiats are..... not great mechanically.

They are getting big, but maybe consider a Civic Si? The other option is to maybe take a cheaper car and spend the extra $$$ to modify it to do what you want.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:10 PM   #13
Exiwolfman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryM View Post
From your list I would go for the Fiesta if you want fun, and the Yaris if cost/reliability is more important. The Fiats are..... not great mechanically.

They are getting big, but maybe consider a Civic Si? The other option is to maybe take a cheaper car and spend the extra $$$ to modify it to do what you want.
Also Nissan Micra , cheap car at 9999.00 $Canadian

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
Old 07-02-2016, 11:24 PM   #14
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
Hmmm...interesting dilema...

My answer, why not have both a hatchback and coupe in one?

I would consider either a Scion tC or a Hyundai Veloster.
Old 07-02-2016, 11:27 PM   #15
Exiwolfman

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader166 View Post
Hmmm...interesting dilema...

My answer, why not have both a hatchback and coupe in one?

I would consider either a Scion tC or a Hyundai Veloster.
Tc a better choice

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
Old 07-07-2016, 03:39 PM   #16
VaultTec

Drives: 2016 Yaris SE
I managed to test drive all the cars I've mentioned.

1. I pretty much fell in love with the Fiat Abarth. The ONLY complaint I would have is the plastic dash that's colored based on the exterior. Other than that. Possibly the best and most fun driving experience I ever had. Addressing the reliability. It has a decent warranty 4 years 50k miles. So once it expires. I'll likely be trading it in. I have 2 other cars so it being in the dealer getting repairs isn't too much of an issue. That being said. I've heard mixed reviews about it. Just one of those things you gotta try out yourself.

2. The Ford Fiesta ST was the car I was most interested in actually seeing / driving. Since I've already driven a regular Fiat 500 (non Abarth) so I had an idea of how that car was. I was badly disappointed. The interior looked so outdated, cheap, cluttered and boring. Not really liking the new body styles of Ford. The ride was stiff and overall meh. It does have slightly better specs on paper but in the real world I doubt it'll be noticeable or matter.

3. I drove a 2008 or 07, can't remember, Yaris. Let me just say. Wow. Compared to my 2016 SE. It feels like another car. Definitely felt the sub compact feel that I don't really feel in my current Yaris. Performance wise, it's a Yaris. Didn't expect much but it did have some kit. I think it's the trd kit? So much potential in that car. Loved it. Don't really want another 3rd gen or any future newer Yaris unless they come beefed up from factory with a new model, like a RS Or whatever. Hopefully turbo charged.

4. The Yaris C was much like the Yaris. Only more complex, slower and got better MPG. Not much to say here. It'll get to me to point A to B feeling meh. Good car nevertheless.

5. I drove an older Scion tC as someone here mentioned. Not the newer body. Don't know the year. It was actually surprisingly good. Definitely have to look into it more. So I will be adding that to the maybe list.
VaultTec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 05:11 PM   #17
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaultTec View Post
3. I drove a 2008 or 07, can't remember, Yaris. Let me just say. Wow. Compared to my 2016 SE. It feels like another car. Definitely felt the sub compact feel that I don't really feel in my current Yaris.
Sounds like you mean this as a negative, right? Haven't driven one for myself, but from what I've gathered, the 2nd gen's offer a minimalist, visceral driving experience while the 3rd gen's are more refined, which some would also call boring. I'd like to experience it for myself.

I'm hurting for a Focus RS. It's well out of the price range we're talking about, but because of my interest in it, the Fiesta ST jumped out at me from your short list. I like that Ford was the only US auto maker not to take bailout money, I think they pack good tech/features in for the money and I like where the styling has gone across all their models. I think they look far better than Acuras, which I think have taken a dreadful downturn in styling. As much as I like the looks and performance of the Abarth I wouldn't go Fiat. Prius is probably your best bet economically speaking.
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 05:52 PM   #18
brushforhire

Drives: 07 HB YARIS, 15 JUKE, 00 TUNDR
I just got an 07 VW rabbit/golf and love it. Also I work for Mopar/fiat dealer and would not touch a Fiat with a 20 foot pole.
Project so far: 2zrfe swap, Megan racing coilovers, TRD rear sway bar, whiteline bushings, RPM long tube header, midpipe, and DC sports xD exhaust, brake upgrade in front, MI stainless braided lines all around, matte paintjob, Takada cold air intake, various gauges, rear seat and belts removed.
Future: Turbo.
brushforhire is offline   Reply With Quote