Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-06-2010, 12:11 PM   #1
rytis

Drives: 2010 Yaris Hatchback 5dr
Solar powered ventilation system

Has anybody thought about running the vents on the Yaris with solar panels?
Similarly like what they did on the 2010 Prius, a solar powered ventilation system to keep the car cooler when it's parked on the sun.
The weather is getting really hot, and my Yaris is baking in the sun. It gets super hot inside, and such a system would bring the temperatures lower without having to leave the windows open.

Would someone know how the connections would need to be made, so that the solar panel would drive the fans when the car is parked, and, not interfere with other components and normal operation of the fans?

Thanks!
rytis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 02:32 PM   #2
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Good idea, wonder if we can really do some thing like that, I've been looking at these cheap solar fans but I don't know how good or bad they are..

LINK

Old 07-06-2010, 04:59 PM   #3
rytis

Yeah, I've seen those too. I wonder how well these work also.

But using the existing fans and vent system would probably be much better, and a nice DIY project :) . Windows would remain closed, air would pass through the filter and only the solar panel would be needed to be placed somewhere under the sun.

Maybe someone here knows how many watts the Yaris's fan / fans consume, so we can determine the solar panel size we need.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:27 PM   #4
Revsson

Drives: 2009 Meteorite Metallic LB MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by rytis View Post
Yeah, I've seen those too. I wonder how well these work also.

But using the existing fans and vent system would probably be much better, and a nice DIY project :) . Windows would remain closed, air would pass through the filter and only the solar panel would be needed to be placed somewhere under the sun.

Maybe someone here knows how many watts the Yaris's fan / fans consume, so we can determine the solar panel size we need.
Sounds like a CTScott project...
Revsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:24 PM   #5
Yarisduder

Drives: 2007 4dr Sedan Silver Streak
The motor of the fan should have the current draw written on it, if only it was easy to get at...
Old 07-07-2010, 12:07 AM   #6
yarrr
Banned

Drives: 07 sedan
Window tint and a sun shade for the front. Call it a day.

If the car isn't moving and not on, you'll just blow hot air in the car. The hood and the air inlet just bake in the sun and absorb engine heat and heat all the air you are trying to get. I also have doubts on any reasonably priced solar system will be able to power an A/C fan.
yarrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:19 AM   #7
rytis

I was just thinking about getting window tinting and a sun shade. How much can you get the tinting done for? And how much sun do they reflect? I imagine the mirror surface ones reflect the most.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:08 AM   #8
Yarisduder

Maybe the fan could be run in reverse, therefore expelling the hot air. Is there a vent to prevent a vacuum.

Looking at the wiring diagrams the blower motor is on a circuit protected by a 10A fuse, so we can assume that we need a 10A supply. That would be 120 watts; a fairly large solar array to power the fan directly, but if you use a battery it could be charged by a solar panel, or more quickly by the car while driving. If you want it to run 6 hours, that's a 60amp/hr battery, which I believe is about as big as the car's starter battery.

The motor may draw less power at lower speeds, then again it seems to use resistors to adjust the speed so it may draw less at the highest setting.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:58 AM   #9
rytis

I found the diagram here:

http://circuitwiringdiagram.com/2010...motor-circuit/

I also looked at the Yaris fans, and they seem to draw 7 amps and up. But we don't need to have it spinning fast, so I wonder what's the current draw on speed 1. Could it be 1 to 2 amps? If so the solar panel would need to output about 12 to 24 watts. Just guessing.

Running the fan in reverse is a great idea! It might workout better. That way the heat build up from the top of the hood where the vent intake is wouldn't be sucked into the interior. But then again, the car isn't air tight, so the air will have to come from somewhere. I wonder where that would be.
Old 07-07-2010, 10:51 PM   #10
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
Personally I think if you were to do the solar vent idea, the most efficient way to go about it would be to push the extremely hot air out of the car, whereas if you used the existing fans you'd be pushing hot (tho not as hot) air into the car.

The idea is to let the hot air escape... so why not do that instead of trying to force cooler air(tho still hot) in?

I doubt you can get those fans (stock vents) working in reverse tho.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:14 AM   #11
bkrownd

Drives: 2010 Yaris "5-door"
Unless there is mass quantities of solar juice available I highly doubt the dash fans would be the most efficient method of removing hot air.

Creating a simple chimney effect and adding some puny solar fan to encourage and assist the flow a bit would seem to be the most efficient method, and should be adequate. So, grab a little 3" chimney pipe and a chimney topper thing from Home Despot and start by cutting a 3" diameter hole in your floor and a matching one in your roof....
Old 07-08-2010, 08:36 AM   #12
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
I have a better solution...

I'll park under a tree! LOL

Old 07-08-2010, 08:44 AM   #13
rytis

Too bad they cut down most of the trees in the city, so they're not always available... and I live next to a park!
It's under a tree right now actually, but I got lucky this time :)

Don't feel like making holes in the Yaris. Just want to drive the existing vent system.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:13 PM   #14
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
talk about burning up a motor...better have extended warranty.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:12 AM   #15
rytis

I don't think motors burn up too quickly. Especially when it won't be spinning fast from solar power.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:48 PM   #16
Yarisduder

I looked a bit at solar panels and just a 5 watt panel is surprisingly large. Where were you thinking of mounting them?
Old 07-09-2010, 11:01 PM   #17
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
they make solar kits you can mount in the window, for like 20 bux at jcwhitney.com.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:30 PM   #18
squirt1982

Drives: 2007 Liftback
I'm pretty sure the fan is centripetal. In other words you can't run it backwards, it'll simply blow the same direction just very inefficiently. Correct me if I'm wrong though.
squirt1982 is offline   Reply With Quote