Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-11-2016, 12:07 PM   #1
lman146

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
What first: New Stereo Deck, or New Speakers?

Hey everyone. I am finally going to start upgrading the sound in my 07 HB. I will be doing it in stages, but eventually will add new stereo, speakers and a subwoofer.

My question is, what will be the most effective order to do these in. Right now I'm deciding between replacing the stock stereo deck or replacing the front speakers. Will replacing the deck really make any difference to the sound coming from the stock speakers? Or would replacing the speakers first make a bigger difference.

I know many of you have done stereo upgrades so hoping to hear from someone with experience. Thanks in advance for any responses. Sorry if this question is answered somewhere else, couldn't seem to find anything though.
lman146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 01:49 PM   #2
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
I strongly believe replacing the head unit first is the way to go. In my experience, stock stereos, even the branded ones like the Pioneers they put into the Scion tC's, do not push as much RMS (continuous) power to the speakers as quality aftermarket decks do. In some cases it could be 3 times as much power. The added power will make the stock speakers come to life. A lot of guys run aftermarket stereos with stock door speakers and add a subwoofer to round out the low end. With a built in or external crossover moving all the low end to the sub, the stock speakers can do quite well handling just the mid range for a basic setup. If and when they blow, you can replace.

I myself just had a new Pioneer touch screen unit installed and can testify to the quality being better and having more volume.

Here's my post on it, if interested.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56628
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 02:14 PM   #3
joell

Drives: 2013 Hatchback
I agree, changing the headunit will be a better start than replacing the speakers.I think is also more simple and will require less work and parts.
If you search in the Crutchfield "Whats fit my car" you will find photos with the stock speakers riveted to the body of the car, some people drill them others rip the cone and use them as brackets for the aftermarket ones.
joell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 02:27 PM   #4
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by joell View Post
I agree, changing the headunit will be a better start than replacing the speakers.I think is also more simple and will require less work and parts.
If you search in the Crutchfield "Whats fit my car" you will find photos with the stock speakers riveted to the body of the car, some people drill them others rip the cone and use them as brackets for the aftermarket ones.
Wow, the stock speakers in our cars are riveted to the doors? I didn't know that. I guess it's a cheaper solution than screws, but jeez, not doing us any favors.
Old 05-11-2016, 02:29 PM   #5
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
x3 for HU first. Sound and power aside, you will probably benefit from increased functionality. I don't know what stock HU you have, but I was able to realize USB, AUX, Bluetooth, and several other features that I did not have on the base HU in my '06.

That said, for an extra $70 or so, I would (and did) address speakers at the same time.
Old 05-11-2016, 05:49 PM   #6
brushforhire

Drives: 07 HB YARIS, 15 JUKE, 00 TUNDR
Agreed, sound processing starts there. When I help anyone build a system, it has to start there. You can have $2000 speakers, but they will sound terrible if they are not being fed a good clean signal.

I love Kenwood HU. I have had numerous ones from them, and they have always impressed. I like the eXcelon series myself. It is what I run.

I think you will be surprised how nice it can make factory speakers even sound.

My follow up question to you would be: do you want to amp all your speakers, or just the subwoofer?

I run an active crossover, and amp my tweeters and mids separately. Makes a huge difference.
brushforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:24 PM   #7
lman146

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Thanks everyone for the support and advice. I was really going back and forth on this but after seeing the responses and reading up a bit I think i'm going to go with the HU first, then in a couple weeks I'm going to get some component speakers.

What do you guys recommend for a good stereo? I don't need touchscreen or navigation or anything, prefer knobs to buttons for volume and would like Bluetooth.

Looking for something that'll cost around 100 dollars.
lman146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:33 PM   #8
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Deck and sub and all good in my 3 door hb , new deck wakes up the stock speakers by a lot.
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:52 PM   #9
brushforhire

Drives: 07 HB YARIS, 15 JUKE, 00 TUNDR
I would recommend this one: Kenwood

I know there are other good decks out there, but I have had several kenwood decks throughout the years and have never been disappointed.
brushforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 01:57 PM   #10
ern-diz

Kenwood is high quality. Can't beat Pioneer for the price and quality. JVC has never let me down, but it's been a while since I've looked at their lineup.

Edit:
This thread might help a little...

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13667
Old 05-15-2016, 10:55 PM   #11
jcboy

Drives: Sedan 07
The front speakers are crappy, the sound for the voice and the bass are mixed together--in other words they are garbled. But the stereo also has an impact.

Judging by the way you asked, it appears you are a bit of an audiophile, and you are interested in replacing both eventually. these being said, given you will only have a certain budget for each of the those 2 things (stereo and speakers) you will have less options for stereo than you will have for speakers/components.

Which basically means it might be more of a chore for you to decide on the speakers, thus go get a good stereo first, and use the time to decide on the speakers to buy.
jcboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stereo