Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-04-2009, 02:59 PM   #1
freeridelectric

Drives: Electric Yaris 05 Silverado,01
Small cars stacked up at dealerships.

Hey guys, I thought this might be helpful for those that want to purchase a new Yaris. Their is quite a lot of small cars on the lots. Prices should decrease for small subcompacts.

Practically every small car in the market is stacked up at dealerships. At the end of February, Honda Motor Co. had 22,191 Fits on dealer lots -- enough to last 125 days at the current sales rate, according to Autodata Corp. In July, it had a nine-day supply, while the industry generally considers a 55- to 60-day supply healthy.

For other models the supply situation is even worse. Toyota Motor Corp. has enough Yaris subcompacts to last 175 days. Chrysler LLC has a 205-day supply of the Dodge Caliber. And Chevrolet dealers have 427 days' worth of Aveo subcompacts. At the current sales rate, General Motors Corp. could stop making the Aveo and it wouldn't run out until May 24, 2010.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123776430557508813.html
freeridelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 03:01 PM   #2
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
Quote:
At the current sales rate, General Motors Corp. could stop making the Aveo and it wouldn't run out until May 24, 2010.
and they should... Not make them anymore that is
Old 04-04-2009, 04:11 PM   #3
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNet0 View Post
and they should... Not make them anymore that is
They don't. Daewoo makes them.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 05:29 PM   #4
firebob

Drives: 09 yaris
I read that most of the makers are doing some shutdowns in April to help the numbers drop. I do not think that they will let the prices drop just off the build up at this point.

Election years always have a down turn in the economy and the sales in all larger purchases. But with the economy the way it was going into the elections it hit hard.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:57 PM   #5
intioumaximus

Drives: subaru
What a stupid article, "we're big people that like big cars," way to embrace gluttony, waste, and consumption, no cars are selling.
intioumaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:38 PM   #6
freeridelectric

Drives: Electric Yaris 05 Silverado,01
To fat to fit in a small car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by intioumaximus View Post
What a stupid article, "we're big people that like big cars," way to embrace gluttony, waste, and consumption, no cars are selling.
That was a Ford dealership spokes person that said that. It is funny. We are all just big, fat, lazy, lethargic, hand out, bail out, large ass Americans that could never fit in the same car as say... a Asian, Arab or European. Things are just bigger here in America including our bellies.

The American car dealers would have you believe this.
freeridelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 12:14 PM   #7
firebob

Drives: 09 yaris
I thought Ford met the conditions to get the bail out money and then turned it down as long as they had X amount of days to change there mind. Did I miss something with the F_ _ _ _d Over Rebuilt Dodge company and the bail out?
Old 04-08-2009, 12:46 PM   #8
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Interesting article, especially for those in the market for a new car. Gas prices won't stay where they are, though.
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 06:48 PM   #9
schreck

Drives: 2009
Might explain how I managed to get a $2,500 rebate on my Yaris without having to haggle much. My loaded version with auto, alloys, 15 inch wheel upgrade, cruise, bumper protector, upgrade stereo, alarm system, keyless remote and upgraded interior originally cost $17,999 on the sticker. I got it for just a tick over $15K and then they gave me $12K on my trade. After tax, tag and title I was out the door for substantially less than $5K.

Just about a year ago these same dealers were snickering and telling me "what you see is what you pay".

Oh, and I forgot they threw in a permanent air filter, front hood protector and vent visors for free!
schreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:23 PM   #10
wooverstone8

Drives: 2017 VW Jetta 1.4L Manual
I got my fully loaded new 09 Yaris manual LB for the price of a bare bones Yaris LB a few months ago. The dealers were hungry. I tried to buy a new 08 Yaris last summer, but dealership wouldn't go below sticker price and there was a four weeks waiting list on top of that. If I wanted a particular color I would have to pay a 1k mark-up. I'm glad I waited. Got a great deal!
wooverstone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 02:40 AM   #11
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by intioumaximus View Post
Wait til you see the new Ford Fiesta. Toyota and Honda are going to be in a world of hurt!
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:23 AM   #12
SailDesign

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemachine69 View Post
Wait til you see the new Ford Fiesta. Toyota and Honda are going to be in a world of hurt!
I think/hope that people will just say "Hey! Ford's in on it , too. It MUST be a good idea".
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote