Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 05-05-2010, 11:07 PM   #19
yarrr
Banned

Drives: 07 sedan
rofl... e-thug. read your posts, and then read mine. Who's the one calling names?

news flash - new, my car would only drop half an inch when someone sat in it, right before I changed, an inch and a half.

read my last post about spring rate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
And yes, struts can effect the ride height. Shocks won't, but struts certainly can. Go to ScionLife and see how many threads you can find about xB1 owners using Echo front struts to lower their Boxes an extra 1/2 an inch. A strut contains both the damper and spring in a single unit and can effect the ride height based on where the spring perches set on the strut body.
you're talking about coilovers, not struts. gg

Honestly dude, you got auto zone struts on your car and can't believe how amazing they are, please continue the suspension lesson.
yarrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 05:17 PM   #20
Billiam

Drives: '10 White Yaris 4D LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrr View Post
rofl... e-thug. read your posts, and then read mine. Who's the one calling names?

news flash - new, my car would only drop half an inch when someone sat in it, right before I changed, an inch and a half.

read my last post about spring rate

you're talking about coilovers, not struts. gg

Honestly dude, you got auto zone struts on your car and can't believe how amazing they are, please continue the suspension lesson.
Ok, so now I don't know the difference between a strut and a coilover? Listen phucktard...more than likely I've been working on cars longer than you've been alive. Clearly you have very little true knowledge of suspension systems....and everytime you post that fact is reinforced.
Billiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 05:26 PM   #21
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
A strut contains both the damper and spring in a single unit
On the Yaris, the spring is a separate part.
The strut alone does not change the ride height, only the spring does.
Even if the strut could do that, struts made of different lengths are not available for the car; the springs control ride height.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 05:40 PM   #22
Billiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
On the Yaris, the spring is separate. The strut alone does not change the ride height.
Sure on the rear...but spring and strut are one unit when bolted together on the front. And I will say again...struts can effect the ride height under certain circumstances. I know from first hand experience. I had Echo struts on my xB for awhile. They sit a 1/2 inch lower than the stock xB struts. It depends on where the spring perches are mounted on the strut body in relation to the locations of the stock strut's perches. The length of the strut body makes a difference as well. As I mentioned...just take a look over on ScionLife and see for youself.

Also...I'm not the one who even made a comment about struts lowering a vehicle in the first place. I was only responding to the Suspension God's comment to me.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:36 PM   #23
yarrr
Banned

More name calling, no facts. I'll take that to mean you couldn't find any information refuting what I said, and now realize yaris struts don't change ride height, and spring rates on springs do change with wear.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:17 PM   #24
Billiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrr View Post
More name calling, no facts. I'll take that to mean you couldn't find any information refuting what I said, and now realize yaris struts don't change ride height, and spring rates on springs do change with wear.
What facts are you looking for? Find one time I said "Yaris struts lower a Yaris". You made a blanket statement that "struts do not effect the ride height". And that's simply not true under all circumstances. How many times now have I said "Echo struts on Scions". The automotive world is a hell-of-a-lot bigger than the Yaris and I was referring vehicles other than the Yaris...and I've owned at least 30 cars in the last 20+ years, so I've got tons of experience.

There's an old saying that says arguing with people on the net is like wrestling a pig in the mud. At some point you realize the pig is enjoying it. So I'm done entertaining you.

I do, however, apologize to the OP for my part in throwing this thread off-topic. I'll simply restate what I said earlier. Tires can make a big difference in ride quality. Also a nice compliant damper (I dare not say the name) along with your stock springs (which aren't worn out) can improve things a great deal. The right tires and dampers made a big improvement to my xA and xB. That's first-hand experience....for what it's worth.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:24 PM   #25
yarrr
Banned

Quote:
You made a blanket statement that "struts do not effect the ride height".
I said your, referring to the OP's yaris.

Quote:
Tires can make a big difference in ride quality.
hey! I agree. How bout that.

Quote:
Also a nice compliant damper (I dare not say the name) along with your stock springs (which aren't worn out) can improve things a great deal.
lol sure, but its most likely NOT going to make the ride less bumpy :D

bouncy != bumpy
Old 05-10-2011, 07:34 PM   #26
Chaldon

Drives: 08 Yaris 3d
With concerns of a hydroplaning incident I've moved up to 185/65/15 from Firestone (meant for a Prius in wet weather) with no problems... w/ regular hard driving and no rubbing on bounces with max turn. I checked ;)
Chaldon is offline   Reply With Quote