Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-08-2006, 10:10 AM   #1
Dylanby

Drives: RS 5-DR
GTA tint shops

Looking to get some tints done when my Yaris arrives.
Any recommendations for GTA shops? I'm getting a 5-DR so it'd probably be easier to go to a location that's done this model. I'm thinking the small windows on the front & rear doors would be a pain for those shops without templates or experience.

So far I'm looking at Lazer Tint & FX Auto as they carry the Formula One brand. I may get into XM or SIRIUS later on & think a ceramic based tint would cause less problems.

Any thoughts?
Dylanby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 12:19 PM   #2
jcove

Drives: 2011 Rogue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylanby
Looking to get some tints done when my Yaris arrives.
Any recommendations for GTA shops? I'm getting a 5-DR so it'd probably be easier to go to a location that's done this model. I'm thinking the small windows on the front & rear doors would be a pain for those shops without templates or experience.

So far I'm looking at Lazer Tint & FX Auto as they carry the Formula One brand. I may get into XM or SIRIUS later on & think a ceramic based tint would cause less problems.

Any thoughts?
If you haven't received it already, it could be as cheap, but easier if you have the dealer do it. The dealer would also cover the tint for the life of the car.
jcove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 01:24 PM   #3
riceboy

Drives: icebox
Deal with Wayne @ FX I've got two Yaris done with him already. They do a pretty kick ass job, tell him Albert sent you he'll set you up with good cash price! btw their work includes a lifetime warranty!
riceboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 02:41 PM   #4
Dylanby

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceboy
Deal with Wayne @ FX I've got two Yaris done with him already. They do a pretty kick ass job, tell him Albert sent you he'll set you up with good cash price! btw their work includes a lifetime warranty!
Thanks. I'll give him a call when I finally take possesion (in about two weeks).
About how long do they take to do the tint? Did you do it on a weekday, or could you book a Saturday?
Old 05-08-2006, 02:45 PM   #5
Dylanby

Quote:
If you haven't received it already, it could be as cheap, but easier if you have the dealer do it. The dealer would also cover the tint for the life of the car.
Most decent tint places will give you a lifetime guarantee. The problem with going with the dealer is that they won't do the % of tint I want for the front/front sides.
Old 05-08-2006, 03:23 PM   #6
Dylanby

riceboy, I really like the pics you posted of your white 3-DR. I'm not a dark tint guy so I'll probably do 35 or 38% all 'round. Hopefully it'll look as good on a 5-DR bayou blue ;)
Old 05-08-2006, 06:08 PM   #7
plushDJ

Drives: 2007 3 dr manual
you guys are lucky that you can get your door windows tinted, it's illegal in Red Deer.......anyways, I'm getting my back 3 done next monday for 150, what's everyone else been quoted??
plushDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 08:39 PM   #8
ubetiam
"oh what a feeling"

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS (B) - 3dr
Send a message via MSN to ubetiam
I originally got a quote of $210 CDN for what I thought was 5 windows... however those two small windows at the front added $70 to total... The tint guy says theyre more of a bitch to do properally.

In Alberta, the front windows are illeagal (other then factory) but the remaining windows are fine. I decided to go 50% on the front which is closest to factory tint and take my chances with the Calgary Police Service or the RCMPs
ubetiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 08:44 PM   #9
ubetiam
"oh what a feeling"

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS (B) - 3dr
Send a message via MSN to ubetiam
I originally was quoted $210 CDN for what I thought initially was a 5 window job... but the two small windows near the side mirrors are a bitch to tint according the shop. It added $70 to the total.

Its illegal in Alberta (not just Red Deer) to tint the front driver/passenger windows (other then factory tint). I decided to go 50% on the fronts (closest to factory) and take my chances with Calgary Police Service & the RCMPs
ubetiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 10:29 PM   #10
riceboy

Drives: icebox
I got it done on a weekday it took about 3 hrs? They're open saturday but they are usually fully booked, you can reach them at 905-471-7555... as far as the % I got 35, my brother's Orange Yaris was done at 30% as the darker color matches up a little nicer.
riceboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 05:30 PM   #11
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Drives: Yaris RS 5DR / Vitz RS wannabe
I can't recommend any shops in Toronto for tinting, but I can recommend a particular film.

Madico manufactures some of the best films for glass applications, and their two premier brands are Onyx and Charcoal.

The film is very high quality, and it is backed by a lifetime warranty. Depending on your shop's policy, maintenance and removal (if necessary) of the tint is absolutely free and covered for life (hopefully the business doesn't go belly up during that time).

I was quoted about $230 for 5 pieces - Rear Windshield, 2 x Rear Passenger Windows, 2 x Rear Passenger Corner Windows.
Old 05-27-2006, 02:42 PM   #12
GabL
I want JDM bumpers!

Drives: 5 Dr Yaris RS in Blazing Blue
Just got the car tinted at FX this morning, but they fucked up my door lock... can't lock the driver side door now... can see they removed the panel to do the tinting. That's ok with me, but they didn't close the panel probably, leaving big gaps at the bottom. Good that it's not raining this weekend, or else I'll wonder what will happen. sigh... got a appointment at the dealer for Monday, hope they can fix the problem for me for free... need to take away the "DO NOT OPEN WINDOW" sticker just in case!
GabL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 03:20 PM   #13
Dylanby

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabL
Just got the car tinted at FX this morning, but they fucked up my door lock... can't lock the driver side door now... can see they removed the panel to do the tinting. That's ok with me, but they didn't close the panel probably, leaving big gaps at the bottom. Good that it's not raining this weekend, or else I'll wonder what will happen. sigh... got a appointment at the dealer for Monday, hope they can fix the problem for me for free... need to take away the "DO NOT OPEN WINDOW" sticker just in case!
Man...that's unacceptable. Can't stand incompetence. Looks like I'll be checking out Lazer & the Detailing Shop.

How much did they charge you for the 5-DR? I know it has the little windows on the front & back doors that are harder to tint. Did you get the FormulaONE tint? What %'s?
Old 05-28-2006, 11:34 AM   #14
GabL
I want JDM bumpers!

Drives: 5 Dr Yaris RS in Blazing Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylanby
Man...that's unacceptable. Can't stand incompetence. Looks like I'll be checking out Lazer & the Detailing Shop.

How much did they charge you for the 5-DR? I know it has the little windows on the front & back doors that are harder to tint. Did you get the FormulaONE tint? What %'s?
It's $225 for 5 doors, I think that's why they removed the panel in order to access the little windows. It's Formule One tint. I went with 20%.
GabL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 12:27 PM   #15
Dylanby

Thanks for the info.
I'm really disappointed by your experience with FX (not as much as you of course). It'd be good to get more feedback about other GTA tinters. I'll Google around.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:51 PM   #16
Doc Zaius
Lurker supreme!

Drives: old and boosted!
BUMP for an old thread! (This should be in the Canadian forum)

Just wondering if there were any new opinions about shops in Toronto. The one place in Ottawa that everybody recommends is like $350CDN (Goldwing Autocare... they use SolarGuard). Anything cheaper/better down in the GTA?

Thanks!!
Old 02-14-2007, 11:39 PM   #17
uncleyaris

Drives: 2007 Bayou Blue!!!!!!!
theres place in woodbridge i heard of, Ill find the name
uncleyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 11:41 PM   #18
Doc Zaius
Lurker supreme!

Drives: old and boosted!
Thanks uncleyaris... but actually, my gf gave me a gift certificate to a tintshop here in ottawa for my birthday... just this past weekend. (nice gift, eh?) So I guess I won't have to drive down to TO to find the better deals..!