Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-23-2009, 09:46 AM   #1
bribri

Drives: white stock yris
auto transmission fluid change

I've been tracking my car and have been wondering if I need to change my auto transmission fluid ealier because of this. Should I run Toyota trans. fluid or is there something that is better and can I change it myself?I love my yaris and would hate to see it break.
Thanks, brian
bribri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 01:04 PM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
I believe the auto trans oil Toyota uses is unique to Toyotas (as least it was a few years ago) so I think you have to buy it from them. Not sure you can change it yourself either, that is all of it. Theres like 2 quarts in the pan and another 6 or so in the torque converter (or somewhere else) which isnt accessable by the drain plug. I think you have to hook the transmission up to a machine that flushes the old stuff out and refills it with new automatically. Frankly though I dont think there is a requirement to change the trans oil in the owners manual. And I wouldnt trust just anyone to hook up such a machine to my car!
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:59 AM   #3
niazqamar

Drives: Toyota Vitz/Yaris 1.3 AT 2005
i heard that Toyota yaris manufactured in 2005 and thereafter has Tansmission fluid that doesnt need to be changed.
niazqamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:07 AM   #4
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Theres no requirement in my owners manual to change the AT fluid under normal usage.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:39 AM   #5
N9QGS

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to N9QGS Send a message via Yahoo to N9QGS
I changed mine every 30 to 45K all I did was buy a new crush washer and 3 bottles of ATF-WS from Toyota, drained from bottom drain plug changed crush washer and refilled through dipstick, 200,000 miles and transmission is great. small price for preventive maintenance, don't let them tell ya the fluid "never" needs servicing.