Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-27-2018, 02:07 PM   #19
Runethecursed

Drives: 2009 Yaris S
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsridewith View Post
My guess is Ford and Chevy are not permanently exiting these passenger car segments, but rather doing redesigns that are interesting without being insipid, outlandish and/or fake. Various model names have had years out of production before, and platforms can underpin a range of styling and functional alternatives.
Mayhap, I had always wondered how Ford got sales on the fusion and the taurus... Sure the taurus was the full size but when you go that big wouldnt you pick up the SUV of like sized due to pricing?
the focus and fiesta thing also confused me. I get why you need a compact and subcompact, but its like.. pick one or the other cause both do the same thing, and if you do it based on fuel economy then theres focii with hybrid systems.

I personally like the look of the focus active, but i got a feels its gonna be like the Subaru Legacy/Forester combo. they are essentially the same sans the seating position and the feeling you can go more offroady

my grammerly is going nuts but aint care about punctuation or spelling right meow.
Runethecursed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 08:41 PM   #20
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Chevy Impala on the chopping block?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news...cid=spartanntp
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 12:00 AM   #21
Runethecursed

Probably. Chevy would be smart, most of their midsize and full sized cars that are non Buick or Caddy frankly have been mundane at best. I dont even consider them when giving advice to others about either category, that said I rarely mention the big three in that regard, unless they are a car person such as myself and you have to have that srt8 magnum...
Old 04-28-2018, 06:30 PM   #22
kimona
Super Moderator

^^^ Well, the Impala and Malibu are Chevy benchmarks. Both are very handsome sedans (especially current models) that have achieved better than average grades in reviews and are exceptionally pleasant cars to drive. Buick's Lacrosse and Regal (and the discontinued Verano) are indeed upscale models and all are excellent vehicles... but I hear they may also be headed for the chopping block.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:23 PM   #23
Runethecursed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
^^^ Well, the Impala and Malibu are Chevy benchmarks. Both are very handsome sedans (especially current models) that have achieved better than average grades in reviews and are exceptionally pleasant cars to drive. Buick's Lacrosse and Regal (and the discontinued Verano) are indeed upscale models and all are excellent vehicles... but I hear they may also be headed for the chopping block.
so my question is... what will American Auto-x guys drive for kicks then? import b segements only?
Old 04-28-2018, 09:20 PM   #24
kimona
Super Moderator

Ford's move away from sedans: Can consumers afford it?

Old 04-28-2018, 10:39 PM   #25
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Quote:
Ford's move away from sedans: Can consumers afford it?

I doubt it. Most working Americans today could not even survive in a one income household at this point, even without a car payment or children. The only reason the bulk of the 'middle-class' still exists any more is because of 2+ income households skewing the inconvenient truth. Most people couldn't even field a $500-1000 sudden emergency without resorting to interest-bearing debt to see it through. I see another crash in our future, and it will be a lot worse than 2008. And yes, new vehicle prices are just out of control - but don't worry, we have mortgage-like loans for cars now.

-

Last edited by Kalispel; 04-28-2018 at 10:56 PM.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 11:43 AM   #26
Runethecursed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
I doubt it. Most working Americans today could not even survive in a one income household at this point, even without a car payment or children. The only reason the bulk of the 'middle-class' still exists any more is because of 2+ income households skewing the inconvenient truth. Most people couldn't even field a $500-1000 sudden emergency without resorting to interest-bearing debt to see it through. I see another crash in our future, and it will be a lot worse than 2008. And yes, new vehicle prices are just out of control - but don't worry, we have mortgage-like loans for cars now.

-

Someday Audi R8, you will be mine.... you will be

meanwhile for the same price you can buy a half acre of land and a house in Tennessee

sure its Tennessee but... its a house

Also, I can afford an emergency up to around 1500 without resorting to debt, but that's literally only recently in the past year ( been trying to stick to a tight budget)
Old 05-01-2018, 01:09 PM   #27
kimona
Super Moderator

Ford Will Focus On Trucks And SUVs, Only Offer Two Cars In U.S.:

Ford Execs Defend Decision to Cancel Cars That Aren't the Mustang:

Ford Explains Why It’s Axing Most Of Its Cars:

Old 05-01-2018, 05:34 PM   #28
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runethecursed View Post
Someday Audi R8, you will be mine.... you will be

meanwhile for the same price you can buy a half acre of land and a house in Tennessee

sure its Tennessee but... its a house

Also, I can afford an emergency up to around 1500 without resorting to debt, but that's literally only recently in the past year ( been trying to stick to a tight budget)
Buy the R8 and park it at Walmart when you need to sleep

IMHO Tennessee is a very pretty state, but with the R8 you could live wherever you want(although you'll spend A LOT on gas, but no more than a Winnebago)!
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 05:53 PM   #29
Runethecursed

Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
Buy the R8 and park it at Walmart when you need to sleep

IMHO Tennessee is a very pretty state, but with the R8 you could live wherever you want(although you'll spend A LOT on gas, but no more than a Winnebago)!
Maybe I could live in a yaris. Busy today inside a junkyard done and once I got all four seats removed I looked air under and thought to myself. You know I could sleep and travel in here by myself..
Old 05-02-2018, 03:42 PM   #30
BennyLava

Drives: 1987 Silverado
my experience with this:

American front wheel drive has always sucked, especially when compared to Honda and Toyota. You get american, you want real wheel drive. Its my belief that you have to play to each automaker's strengths. And it happens to be that american does Rwd pretty well. But if you want a reliable Fwd gas saver, its honda or toyota. Not really any exceptions unless you like car problems after you've had the car a good while.

And for tough strong trucks, you don't want honda or toyota. Even the half tons from the U.S are better at their jobs than the toyota half tons. Just take one look at the metal under the back end of the tundra, when parked beside an F150. It becomes pretty clear. My buddy's new tundra could just barely pull my boat. And it kinda failed cause we were going up a slight hill and the RPMs were high, and we were slowing down. Not happening with the F150. Gotta play to their strengths.

I'd still avoid dodge though. Dodge is the poor kid of america, kind of like nissan. They like to have wtf style engine problems. Like eating their own crankshafts. Like nissan, dodge is cheaper for good reason. Its apparent in every aspect. They ride rougher. The interior quality is notably poorer. A lot of people see that cheap dodge price and think they're getting some kind of a deal. They're not.

You go to work on a nissan, (which you'll be doing more frequently) and your hands get all cut up. Working on a honda is generally a pleasure.
BennyLava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:51 AM   #31
kimona
Super Moderator

U.S. Car Buyers to Japan: We Don't Want Your Sedans:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...cid=spartanntp
Old 05-03-2018, 01:00 AM   #32
BennyLava

Drives: 1987 Silverado
Also, these people have short memories. When gas prices were off the charts, everyone was clamoring for 4 cylinder cars. I knew people that sold the SUVs and got civics and such.

I know the women are all about SUVs, but most of the guys I know are "car guys". You don't really hear much about "suv guys", they're generally thought of as mom mobiles. Kind of unmanly, in a way. I definitely wouldn't want one as any kind of a daily driver.

For gas mileage though, they really should put diesels in most of these SUVs imo
BennyLava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:07 AM   #33
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
SUV guys! You've got to be careful in these uber PC days; someone might catch feelings!

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:23 AM   #34
kimona
Super Moderator

Hey! I drive an SUV... every day.
Old 05-03-2018, 12:36 PM   #35
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Hey! I drive an SUV... every day.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 01:57 PM   #36
scylla

Drives: 2015 Yaris L
Hmm, if US carmakers give up making cars what will police drive? SUV's?
I see a few police SUV's out there, but those are mostly for canine units.
scylla is offline   Reply With Quote