Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-04-2018, 04:43 PM   #1
Saphe

Drives: Yaris 2010
Fault code P2196 Oxygen sensor?

Hi guys!

Got check engine Light on after diving on a rainy day on the road. Obd reader gives the code P2196.

I have looked around and common issues seems to be the be is; P2196 TOYOTA - Oxygen Air/Fuel Sensor Signal Stuck Rich Bank 1 Sensor 1.

I have searched everywhere to find where the sensor is on the car. Where is bank 1??

I know how to check with multimeter if the sensor is bad but i have first find it to do that :) i believe its connection problems but we will se about that. Does anyone know the location for bank one for my toyota yaris xp9f(a) 2010?

Other common issues for this fault code is:
Faulty Oxygen Air/Fuel Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 1Oxygen Air/Fuel Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 1 harness is open or shortedOxygen Air/Fuel Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 1 circuit poor electrical connectionFaulty EFI RelayFaulty InjectorFaulty Engine Control Module (ECM)

Any other ideas?

PS. A pic showing location would help alot!
Saphe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:20 AM   #2
ncp13

Drives: 01 Yaris TS
Sensor 1 bank 1 is the first sensor before the catalytic converter.
ncp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:36 AM   #3
Saphe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncp13 View Post
Sensor 1 bank 1 is the first sensor before the catalytic converter.
Oki
Managed to find (see picture) at https://www.toyota-tech.eu/td/td3ewd...wdpath=/td3ewd

at engine compartments. I will se if that helps out locating it.
C73 is connection for bank 1 sensor 1 a/f sensor.
Attached Images
File Type: png 20180105_143232.png (251.5 KB, 95 views)
Old 01-06-2018, 04:57 PM   #4
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
engine exhaust system: you only have a bank 1. if your engine was a V configuration, (V4, V6, V8) you would have bank 1 and bank 2. sensor 1 is before the catalytic converter, (near the engine) sensor 2 is after the catalytic converter.
sensor 1: monitors the engine performance and adjusts fuel injection
sensor 2: monitors catalyst efficenty
i think it sounds like you need to replace sensor. replacement is easy (most of the time)
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 02:56 PM   #5
Saphe

SirDigiby, thank you for the info. :) :)

I have located it and will test its resistance as soon as possible.

If someone else has problems locating the sensor (for any car) i found a Great Youtube link describing how.

https://youtu.be/vAxuP9UVQPs
How to find o2 sensor locations.
Old 01-11-2018, 03:35 PM   #6
Saphe

Hmm tested my Air fuel sensor (o2) and I have restistance. I cleared the fault code and it came on after 1 1/2 day diving. I had this issue earlier and it seems to be more common that the light goes on when its could Outdoor. +3 or lower so im thinking that the sensor is affected by lower temperature or could something else trigger same fault code?

Im asking do to the Light can be cleared and Everything seems ok untill its getting colder outside :)

Thanks in advance :)
Old 01-12-2018, 12:12 AM   #7
SirDigby

that makes sense because the engine runs richer at cold start up. if the air filter was really dirty it might throw a rich fault. an incorrect signal from a dirty MAF sensor may cause a rich condition. a leaking injector could cause fault. this is what i would do:
check condition of air filter. if it is dirty, replace. wile at the auto parts store getting filter, pick up some MAF cleaner. (Mass Air Flow) the MAF is the sensor that is in the air box you remove to change air filter. remove the 2 bolts and pull sensor up. clean with MAF cleaner. allow a few minutes for cleaner to evaporate before reinstalling. i would also replace the A/F sensor. it sounds like it might be lazy. they do wear out. don't buy from the dealership, too expensive. BUT, only buy Denso, (234-9052) Toyota,(89467-52020) or NTK (24661) brands.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:53 PM   #8
Saphe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDigby View Post
that makes sense because the engine runs richer at cold start up. if the air filter was really dirty it might throw a rich fault. an incorrect signal from a dirty MAF sensor may cause a rich condition. a leaking injector could cause fault. this is what i would do:
check condition of air filter. if it is dirty, replace. wile at the auto parts store getting filter, pick up some MAF cleaner. (Mass Air Flow) the MAF is the sensor that is in the air box you remove to change air filter. remove the 2 bolts and pull sensor up. clean with MAF cleaner. allow a few minutes for cleaner to evaporate before reinstalling. i would also replace the A/F sensor. it sounds like it might be lazy. they do wear out. don't buy from the dealership, too expensive. BUT, only buy Denso, (234-9052) Toyota,(89467-52020) or NTK (24661) brands.
Thanks SirDigiby.
I started with cleaning and clearing the sensor connectors with Electric cleaner and this without successivt. No Light came on my way to work (25 km) but driving home did Light it up after 20 minutes of driving :( i dont get any symptoms more then check engine light. My thoughts has also been on looking into the mass Air flow sensor so i will do that and check the air filter. If still the problems occurs then my last step will be buying a new a/f sensor - toyodiy homepage gives me part number 89467-52070
I will se if i find denso in first hand before looking at other producers :)
Thank you for your advice :) i will be putting in the outcome when im done. Will take a while before reposting :)
Old 01-14-2018, 04:04 PM   #9
SirDigby

you can not get the Toyota 89467-52070 as it is a discontinued part. (old stock)
the newest, most updated sensor from Toyota is 98467-52020
Old 12-16-2021, 08:07 AM   #10
janosik7788
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris 2009, 5D 1,33 VVTi 74kW
P2196 A/F sensor problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphe View Post
Thanks SirDigiby.
I started with cleaning and clearing the sensor connectors with Electric cleaner and this without successivt. No Light came on my way to work (25 km) but driving home did Light it up after 20 minutes of driving :( i dont get any symptoms more then check engine light. My thoughts has also been on looking into the mass Air flow sensor so i will do that and check the air filter. If still the problems occurs then my last step will be buying a new a/f sensor - toyodiy homepage gives me part number 89467-52070
I will se if i find denso in first hand before looking at other producers :)
Thank you for your advice :) i will be putting in the outcome when im done. Will take a while before reposting :)
Hi there, I am having the same issue just know, first it happened on april this year, but now in last 3 weeks I had P2196 error.

I have bought new A/F sensor Denso DOX-0269 - but then shortly after the restart I got error message code P0031. We have checked both of the sensors, the resistance was there. Then I returned the new sensor to the shop and for now I am on the old one after clearing P0031 it was ok. But after 100km again P2196.

Any hints or thoughts guys?

Any help appreciated!

Thank you

Joe

@Saphe How did it finish in your case?
janosik7788 is offline   Reply With Quote