Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > NY / NJ/ CT / PA
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-07-2016, 02:40 PM   #1
Judah

Drives: 2007 Yaris
2007 Yaris engine won't turn on

Hello all. I have a 2007 Toyota Yaris. I recently went to my mechanic received an oil change, replaced the windshield wipers, and got a new battery installed. After the battery was installed the mechanic told me to turn on the car and everything was fine (He installed the battery at my house). Later in the day I tried to turn my car on the engine would not fully turn on (the headlight can turn on and all the electrical aspects of the car works). Its not the starter nor the alternator the engine just won't fully start, like it gets close but no cigar. The mechanic came back and looked at it and couldn't really figure out the issue. He said it could probably be the compressor (which one idk he just said compressor). He said my best bet will be to tow the car to a shop and test the compressor and any other issue that could be causing a problem. I just don't understand because before the battery was installed the car was fine to the degree of needing a new batter and oil change. Any ideas of what the issue might be?
Judah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 08:15 PM   #2
Exiwolfman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judah View Post
Hello all. I have a 2007 Toyota Yaris. I recently went to my mechanic received an oil change, replaced the windshield wipers, and got a new battery installed. After the battery was installed the mechanic told me to turn on the car and everything was fine (He installed the battery at my house). Later in the day I tried to turn my car on the engine would not fully turn on (the headlight can turn on and all the electrical aspects of the car works). Its not the starter nor the alternator the engine just won't fully start, like it gets close but no cigar. The mechanic came back and looked at it and couldn't really figure out the issue. He said it could probably be the compressor (which one idk he just said compressor). He said my best bet will be to tow the car to a shop and test the compressor and any other issue that could be causing a problem. I just don't understand because before the battery was installed the car was fine to the degree of needing a new batter and oil change. Any ideas of what the issue might be?
Did you try jump starting the car? And what kind of mechanic does work at your house?

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 08:26 PM   #3
Judah

Smile

No I didn't jump the car because the battery works perfectly fine (I even got a new battery just to see if it was the battery that he put in was the probable but the same issue).

A mechanic that's a friend of the family and who go out of his way to do things like that.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:28 PM   #4
Exiwolfman

Quote:
No I didn't jump the car because the battery works perfectly fine (I even got a new battery just to see if it was the battery that he put in was the probable but the same issue).

A mechanic that's a friend of the family and who go out of his way to do things like that.
Did you check the main fuse it's on the positive terminal of battery , there is a 60 and 120 see if both ok.

Old 12-07-2016, 08:30 PM   #5
Judah

No I didn't nor am I very knowledgeable in cars. How would I go about doing that if you don't mind me asking?
Old 12-07-2016, 08:31 PM   #6
Exiwolfman

Quote:
No I didn't nor am I very knowledgeable in cars. How would I go about doing that if you don't mind me asking?
Just look at the positive terminal u will see a black box u can open and look inside see if either fuse is broken in the middle or both.

Old 12-07-2016, 08:33 PM   #7
Judah

Ok will do. Is that normal to happen, that after installing a new battery the fuse will just break?
Old 12-07-2016, 08:34 PM   #8
Exiwolfman

Silly question ❓ you have gas in her lol
Cos trying to turn over sounds like u got power but just won't turn over... So fuses should be fine but one never knows.
I. Would still try and jump start the car

Old 12-07-2016, 08:36 PM   #9
Exiwolfman

Quote:
Ok will do. Is that normal to happen, that after installing a new battery the fuse will just break?
No its not but if wires crossed in any way or grounded out it will happen... Like changing alternator with out unplugging battery, one short and there goes the fuse.

Old 12-07-2016, 08:42 PM   #10
Judah

Lol no that's not a silly question everyone always ask that. The tank is one bar from being full. The car was working as fine as a car that needed an oil change and new battery could work. I don't how they would have gotten crossed because after he installed the battery the car turned on fine and I didn't move it. Some people suggested jumping it but it didn't make sense to do it because the battery works perfectly fine and also I didn't want to just jump it to get it on and then drive and have the same issue happen again.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:43 PM   #11
Exiwolfman

Also I would check your alternator and see if its charging once u start the car use meter to see if voltage is staying up around 14 with stuff on.

Old 12-07-2016, 08:46 PM   #12
Exiwolfman

Quote:
Lol no that's not a silly question everyone always ask that. The tank is one bar from being full. The car was working as fine as a car that needed an oil change and new battery could work. I don't how they would have gotten crossed because after he installed the battery the car turned on fine and I didn't move it. Some people suggested jumping it but it didn't make sense to do it because the battery works perfectly fine and also I didn't want to just jump it to get it on and then drive and have the same issue happen again.
Can you check voltage on the battery?
U say battery was replaced car started but not driven...?
Just jump start the car, check voltage before and after start.

Old 12-07-2016, 08:48 PM   #13
Judah

No I mean the car came on perfectly fine, I just didn't pull out of my parking spot lol. It was just to check to see if the battery was ok and installed properly.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:50 PM   #14
Judah

I don't think it's the alternator but I wouldn't be able to anyway because the car wont fully start. It's like it's getting there but not all the way. A few times it it started a little just to fizzle out (the engine) the electronics works fine.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:50 PM   #15
Exiwolfman

Quote:
No I mean the car came on perfectly fine, I just didn't pull out of my parking spot lol. It was just to check to see if the battery was ok and installed properly.
So how long did it sit for after?

Old 12-07-2016, 08:53 PM   #16
Exiwolfman

Quote:
I don't think it's the alternator but I wouldn't be able to anyway because the car wont fully start. It's like it's getting there but not all the way. A few times it it started a little just to fizzle out (the engine) the electronics works fine.
Like I said check voltage on battery.
Just cos it started once does not mean it's a good battery.. They sit in the store for who knows how long I always say drive it after replacing or at least let car sit and run.

Old 12-07-2016, 08:58 PM   #17
Judah

I had it on for less than 5 mins after he installed the battery then I turned the car off. I had the same issues with the battery he got and with the new battery I got myself to see if the battery he got me was faulty. Same issues. If I know anything about cars it's a bad battery or when a battery is going bad. Too much experience with those.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:01 PM   #18
Exiwolfman

Quote:
I had it on for less than 5 mins after he installed the battery then I turned the car off. I had the same issues with the battery he got and with the new battery I got myself to see if the battery he got me was faulty. Same issues. If I know anything about cars it's a bad battery or when a battery is going bad. Too much experience with those.
Just for fun....can u try and jump start the car.