Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-29-2018, 10:10 PM   #19
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadowFox View Post
oh awesome when get some freeup time can i borrow your booth.
Of course!

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:11 PM   #20
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
This is so cool.
Haha, I think so too. Should be fun!

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 05-29-2018, 10:23 PM   #21
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bairjo View Post
I made a paint booth years ago. I used pvc pipe and fittings so it was easy to store when i was done. Used rolled painters plastic on all sides. I didn't put water on the floor for humidity. I didn't it was a good idea at all since that can affect the paint so i rolled plastic on the floor and drove the car in. Used a box fan to pull air out with a filter on an inlet window and a filter on the outlet. Worked out rather well for what i needed.
Did you use a typical home box fan? I just pulled the trigger on a 24" high speed fan on eBay as I was getting sceptical about the box fans' ability to remove enough vapour. I got it for $65.00 USD and it's 1/3 HP compared to the what 1/25 HP of the box fans? Maybe the box fans would have been fine, but for an extra ~ $20.00 I feel more confident with the 24" high speed.

Here is the fan I bought... It's still not an enclosed motor, but I've got yards and yards of fiberglass furnace hammock filter so I'll rig up some kind of loose fitting 'hat-like' cover for the motor to at least keep the overspray from mucking up the motor internals. The hammock filter breathes quite well, so I'm hoping it won't heat the motor up.

https://www.globalindustrial.ca/p/hv...-high-velocity

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 05-29-2018 at 10:39 PM.
Old 05-29-2018, 10:35 PM   #22
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic_hoji View Post
I've found the amount of really stupid s* that I've done through life has gone down dramatically now that I have kids.. Age and responsibility just ruining all the good fun, 'eh?

I've tried both regular safety glasses and the foam padded goggle type but both fogged up on me and I ended up taking them off - hence how I found out the hard way about eye irritants.. lol. Anti-fog spray might help a bit too. I'd guess that doing the long, smooth body panels you'll be ok in that regard - just be cautious doing up under fenders or under the spoiler, etc..

-- Adam
Haha, stupid stuff, don't get me started, LOL! I do appreciate the advice and I'm sure you're right that most any goggle will fog, especially when one is nervous and sweating. LOL! I'll make a point of being careful and paying very close attention to those potential trouble spots, for sure.

Old 05-30-2018, 01:20 AM   #23
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
https://jet.com/product/Lasko-Max-Pe...rigination=PLP

I got this to do future paint booth. also doubles for a good work fan when im doing stuff outside. I like that its sill portable but the selling point was i can angle it however i want (good for summer days toiling outside). The smaller air mover we used on our paint canopy didnt do as much air flow so i just made a large cardboard board into a filter box cut a rectangle for the blower to fit the box. So it was blowing fumes into the box, not sucking fumes into a box , if that makes sense. It definitely did the job well, kept the paint dust overspray that lingers in air to a minimum. Ill find a picture of how fast it clogs the filter.

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 06:47 PM   #24
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezhacker1 View Post
https://jet.com/product/Lasko-Max-Pe...rigination=PLP

I got this to do future paint booth. also doubles for a good work fan when im doing stuff outside. I like that its sill portable but the selling point was i can angle it however i want (good for summer days toiling outside). The smaller air mover we used on our paint canopy didnt do as much air flow so i just made a large cardboard board into a filter box cut a rectangle for the blower to fit the box. So it was blowing fumes into the box, not sucking fumes into a box , if that makes sense. It definitely did the job well, kept the paint dust overspray that lingers in air to a minimum. Ill find a picture of how fast it clogs the filter.
That does look like a very nice and practical fan. Are you planning to make a full size (big enough for a car) booth?

Old 05-30-2018, 10:28 PM   #25
06YarisRS

Installed my water separator...

My other gun and respirator arrived today to my US mailbox. Will pick them up this weekend.

Old 05-31-2018, 01:59 AM   #26
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
It was a usual 10x10 canopy. Got most of the car in lol.

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 09:59 PM   #27
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezhacker1 View Post
It was a usual 10x10 canopy. Got most of the car in lol.
You got it all painted in the end, right? Job done!

I stumbled across another Amazon error...I think. I found a $70.00 18 mm paint gun for $18.09. I grabbed it and immediately after, the price went back to $70.00. I wanted an 18 mm for my primer anyway. Now I have 3 guns. I hope to god, I can at least paint with at least a tiny bit of skill, LOL.

I once bought a new Dorman transmission pan with plug - a nice heavy steel one - for my old Dodge Grand Caravan for $5.00. It was clearly a mistake as it too shot up to the regular price immediately thereafter. Amazon Victory! Love 'em!

Old 06-01-2018, 06:46 PM   #28
06YarisRS

Major score on lighting!...

My neighbour told me of a guy about a kilometer from me that had some fluorescent lights he wasn't using. And how... The guy has about 20 48" 4 bulb T8 fixtures complete with bulbs from a demo. When I asked him how much he wanted for each, he said, "How does $5.00 each sound"? I bought 4 and he says if I need more to drop by. This guy has an amazing yard full of everything you can imagine. He also has a 24" industrial belt driven fan. It needs a motor but he's willing to part with it for basically change. It's probably a $1500.00 fan when equipped with a motor.

I plan to install my lighting (outside of the booth) tomorrow.

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 06-01-2018 at 08:25 PM.
Old 06-02-2018, 09:46 AM   #29
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Drives: 2015 Yaris LE 3door 1F7
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Of course!
yaaay now to get to new brunswick. :X which side of canada is that on im bad with my provinces
DarkShadowFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 03:55 PM   #30
06YarisRS

Quote:
yaaay now to get to new brunswick. :X which side of canada is that on im bad with my provinces
Same side as you man. I think Boston is about 6 - 7 hours to where we live.

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 06-02-2018 at 07:32 PM.
Old 06-02-2018, 05:00 PM   #31
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
which side of canada is that on im bad with my provinces
...and even worse at pulling up a map ;)

BTW, it looks like no trip to NB for me this year. :(
Will only be the 3rd out of 29 years not making the summer vacation trip to see the in-laws.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
Old 06-02-2018, 07:34 PM   #32
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
...and even worse at pulling up a map ;)

BTW, it looks like no trip to NB for me this year. :(
Will only be the 3rd out of 29 years not making the summer vacation trip to see the in-laws.

Sent from my Elite_5_5_Octa using Tapatalk
That's too bad WeeYari. There's always next year, and the year after and...

Old 06-02-2018, 07:45 PM   #33
06YarisRS

Booth Lights Up and Running...

Got the lights up today and man, she's bright. I don't think I'll need any more. The wiring needs a little tidying up - a few wire staples here and there. I pieced the wiring together from ends I had lying around. A bit of overkill with 12/2 supplying the lights when 18 gauge would have been fine.

I built frames suspended from the ceiling so that the lights could be out of the booth. The ones mounted directly to the garage wall will be covered with the poly, Or -I haven't decided - I might build another wall and not use the actual garage wall at all.

Please excuse the mess.

Old 06-03-2018, 01:01 PM   #34
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Drives: 2015 Yaris LE 3door 1F7
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Same side as you man. I think Boston is about 6 - 7 hours to where we live.
time to breakout my passport.
DarkShadowFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 03:43 PM   #35
06YarisRS

Poly Sheeting Going Up...

I will need about another 100 square feet of poly. I sllghtly underestimated.

Old 06-03-2018, 03:47 PM   #36
06YarisRS

Quote:
time to breakout my passport.
Dang right. After all this work, It would be sad to only paint one car in there. I do actually have a door ding to fix on my '08, so that will probably make an appearance in the booth too at some point.