Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-03-2018, 06:54 PM   #37
Runethecursed

Drives: 2009 Yaris S
maybe I should send some parts over to get painted such as side skirts, spoiler and lip...
Runethecursed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 08:08 PM   #38
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runethecursed View Post
maybe I should send some parts over to get painted such as side skirts, spoiler and lip...
Haha, you might want to see my work first. LOL! It may not be up to snuff.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 01:20 PM   #39
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Bad. Ass.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:05 PM   #40
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Bad. Ass.
Errr...Thanks? I have been called both "bad" and an "ass" before, never on a forum though.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 06-04-2018, 08:11 PM   #41
06YarisRS

Fans...

Plan to do some testing tomorrow when the poly is done and it's sealed up. Not sure whether I should pick up 2 more box fans (Walmart has them on for ~$17.00 each), or incorporate my new 24" high speed drum fan. I can probably sell the new drum fan locally for $100.00 and get 2 more box fans and have some change left over. Surely that should move some air!

Anyway, the frame is built. It is light and slides into the garage door frame nice and tight. And, the door clears it so it can close behind it. I have not yet sealed the fan box but will do that after I decide on fan configuration.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:36 PM   #42
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Oh, that's coming along nicely.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:30 PM   #43
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
Oh, that's coming along nicely.
Yeah, it is. Thanks. Cant wait to test it with the fans. I'm a little afraid that the 24" fan will implode my booth. LOL! I do have quite a bit of square footage in intake filters. Looking at a small wind meter on eBay for ~$14.00. They say that a booth should have a minimum of 100 ft/minute air flow. My main goal is to get adequate air flow to keep the 'combustibles' in a lean state. I'm probably overthinking this, but, again, my sense of mortality gets stronger with each passing year.

Old 06-05-2018, 11:27 PM   #44
06YarisRS

Big Fan Arrived...

I plan to rebuild my fan bank tomorrow to add in the new 24" fan after taking it out of its 'trolley'.

This fan is incredibly powerful. Even with the booth still unsealed, it really moves a lot of air in the right direction. The 2 box fans may not even be necessary. However, as my biggest fear is inadequate ventilation, I think I should be able to rest a little easier now. All fans will at least have their motor areas covered with filter material. I have lots and expect I'll need to replace it regularly throughout the job.

I'll report on the effectiveness of the ventilation 'system' after everything is buttoned up.

Old 06-07-2018, 04:23 PM   #45
06YarisRS

Big Fan...Little Helper

My little guy was very helpful, holding the fan frame while I tucked and stapled the plastic under it. Then we double sealed it with Tuck Tape.

I am going to install another fan I have up top in the center of the garage door. The garage door will be open all the way and the whole area covered in plastic. It's a lot of fans but it's helping me feel more comfortable about keeping the solvents in the air well below LFL (Lower Flammability Limit). Probably over thinking this...

Old 06-09-2018, 06:05 PM   #46
06YarisRS

Body Work and Sanding

The work that I had done before resulted in several extra hours of grinding, sanding etc to remove it all. I am back to a solid base.

I wasn't happy with my tailgate from the first repair, so I've stripped it back and applied more body filler. The tailgate had some waves in it due to the collision before I bought it.

The car also had quite a few dings in the roof, hail I assume. I only found two small door dings. These are now fixed.

The car is about 80% sanded with 120 grit. I'm using a 5" random orbital sander.

Since my paint booth is done, I hope to apply the 2K high build primer this week.

Old 06-17-2018, 09:02 AM   #47
06YarisRS

Almost ready to spray primer...

I have spent some time tweaking my booth. Yesterday, I installed a small paint station so that I don't have to risk further contaminating the booth by going in and out to mix paint, get supplies etc. I am picking up my 1.8 mm priming gun today.

I have significantly improved the airflow with the addition of another 3' x 3' filter. This is the cheap hammock filter, blue in color, to the left in the pic. This has made a huge difference in airflow. The crossflow is quite good and in 'testing' the overspray in the air is pulled fairly quicky down and out. Final tweaks will occur with the car actually in the booth. On the right, I set up a temporary spray board to check spray pattern.

I still have to route the fan power cords out of the booth so as to have no electrical connections inside the spray area.

One thing I like about having the fans low is that apparently solvent vapours settle to the ground as they are heavier than air. The fans pull quite nicely across the floor and should clear out vapours under the car.

My primer arrives today. I still have to finish taping, sanding, multiple washes, and degreasing before spraying the primer. I bought Evercoat Feather Fill G2 polyester high build primer so I can block sand before painting. I may actually spray the primer outside on a calm day, sand and then bring the car into the booth for the base coat and clear coat.

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 06-17-2018 at 10:01 AM.
Old 06-17-2018, 10:45 AM   #48
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Man, you've been busy!
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 11:47 AM   #49
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
Man, you've been busy!
Yeah, a bit silly, eh? I've been wanting to learn to paint for a while now, so I don't mind the effort. If I'm successful at putting paint on decently, I hope to find a couple more small cars to paint and charge a small fee. That way I can recoup some of my costs. I should still be well under $1K for my paint job, everything included.

Old 06-19-2018, 10:42 PM   #50
06YarisRS

Video of booth...

Check out the air flow...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWfzezoN92c

Old 06-20-2018, 12:05 PM   #51
ern-diz

She's a movin'!

On Wheelwell
Old 06-20-2018, 06:21 PM   #52
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
She's a movin'!
oooh yeah! If I fail at painting, I can always rent it out for poker games, I suppose. :)

Old 06-20-2018, 06:42 PM   #53
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
oooh yeah! If I fail at painting, I can always rent it out for poker games, I suppose. :)

On Wheelwell
Old 06-21-2018, 02:47 AM   #54
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
Does this mean you are venting the fumes straight to atmosphere outside?

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote