Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-07-2007, 07:27 PM   #1
turboyaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to turboyaris
turbo intake manifold

Hey guys, I figured it has been a while since I have posted, been busy working and all. Anyways, this has been my lastest mod, and it is nearing completion. The only thing left is to weld on to vacuum nipples for the brake booster and for the pcv hose. I'm hoping to be done soon and get some dyno time for a retune and all and I will post up on the results. A few mods need to be done still, i did the throttle body water jacket removal, and i have to reroute the radiator hose. Anyways, here it is.

turboyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 07:35 PM   #2
Chris07LB
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Whats that TB off of?

Great work BTW.
Chris07LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 09:12 PM   #3
Galavoxx

Drives: Yaris Hatch
No SHiT!!!! Props on the fab work. Looks great!!!
Galavoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 10:40 PM   #4
turboyaris

scion tc same bolt pattern actually, the difference is our stock TB are 2" inlet (filter side) and around 1 5/8" on the manifold side. This one is 2.5" inlet side and almost 2 1/4 manifold side.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:01 PM   #5
Doc Zaius
Lurker supreme!

Drives: old and boosted!
So pardon my n00bishness... this will be to replace the stock plastic intake manifold? Which I'm guessing is the other one on the right. Since the individual outlets are in a different place now (i.e. not curved), how will the throttle body connect to whatever it is that it connects to? I'm guessing the turbo. Anyhow, any explanation would be appreciated (not just by me, but I'm sure there are a few others of us willing to learn!)

Looks great, btw!!
Old 06-07-2007, 11:38 PM   #6
joey1320

Drives: Yaris LB
you can see the throttle body installed on the new manifold.
the throttle body does not connect to anything inside the manifold, is just a "butterfly" that lets air get into the intale manifold and then the engine.

so if you can find a way to mount it on the new manifold and wire it normally, you have a working unit.
joey1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 11:41 PM   #7
joey1320

Drives: Yaris LB
nice work btw. now if you ever decide to do another manifold would you consider having the inlet tubes at an angle?

meaning as the air travels into the manifold it doesn't have to take a 90* turn but instead kind of flows at a curved angle. do you get the idea, or did i lose you?
joey1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 11:52 PM   #8
Toyotech
Your Toyota Technician

Drives: 06 Cobalt SS/SC, 06 Rolla S
Send a message via AIM to Toyotech
nice work but have you tested the throttle body? i have done this route before with failure and throttle codes. any pictures of the stacks?
Toyotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 01:40 AM   #9
FlyingDevil

Drives: 07 Corolla
dont u need velocity stacks in the inside of the tube?
and i think u'd have to narrow the inside of the tube down as it goes to the last cylinder...
FlyingDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 05:25 AM   #10
turboyaris

Quote:
meaning as the air travels into the manifold it doesn't have to take a 90* turn but instead kind of flows at a curved angle. do you get the idea, or did i lose you?
that is more the design for exhaust manifolds, because they are flowing the opposite direction and require velocity to be at a peak, and not collected in a chamber. They don't really design intake manifolds like that.

Quote:
So pardon my n00bishness... this will be to replace the stock plastic intake manifold? Which I'm guessing is the other one on the right. Since the individual outlets are in a different place now (i.e. not curved), how will the throttle body connect to whatever it is that it connects to? I'm guessing the turbo. Anyhow, any explanation would be appreciated (not just by me, but I'm sure there are a few others of us willing to learn!)
I know it doesn't quite look like it, because I didnt take any pictures of the intake manifold on the car, but it is actually in a very similar location to the stock setup, luckily the intercooler piping flexes a little bit and allows for the two to come together quite nicely. As for the wiring its plug and play same plug and everything.
Quote:
nice work but have you tested the throttle body? i have done this route before with failure and throttle codes. any pictures of the stacks?
yes i have tested the throttle body, and have not seen any failures or codes of any kind. It seems to run well. I couldn't fully run it because as i mentioned the design isnt complete, but it did run well at idle and it did rev like normal.
Quote:
and i think u'd have to narrow the inside of the tube down as it goes to the last cylinder...
I didn't go with velocity stacks. They are quite expensive to machine, and in a turbo application, they will help, but I didn't see it neccessary. This is a priliminary design, and so I am mainly trying to see if a redesigned intake manifold with short runners will benefit a turbo setup or not. If it does, I am sure a company will jump on my band wagon, probably ZPI, and actually engineer a manifold. As for the narrowing, the edge of the manifold is actually tapered down, to try to feed more air to the last cylinder that can kind of be seen at the back of picture 4. I'm hoping to be up and running in the next week or so and then be able to get to a dyno with a tune, I will be doing same day before and after with the manifold because the temp. difference of summer will more then likely affect my 184 numbers. It will just make it a much better and clearer test.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:32 AM   #11
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Are you planning to run more than 7 lbs. of boost?
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 09:35 AM   #12
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
one word: WOAH

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 02:04 PM   #13
Toyotech
Your Toyota Technician

Drives: 06 Cobalt SS/SC, 06 Rolla S
Send a message via AIM to Toyotech
well thats good...guess i'll try a different throttle body. 1st half of the sweep it was fine, second part of the sweep it through the codes...

hope you get good flow through the cylinders because i'd be worried bout running poor on cylinders.
Toyotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 02:10 PM   #14
Sabretooth
37HSSV

Drives: '11 Mazdaspeed 3
Send a message via AIM to Sabretooth
Looks great IMHO. Hope it works out, Actually looks like a good DIY!
Sabretooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 02:20 PM   #15
WRBlue

Drives: Yaris 3 Door, 04 WRX, 69 Lotus
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDevil View Post
Velocity stacks are never needed. However, they usually will make a little more power, especially NA. But they can also cost power if they suck.
WRBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 09:52 AM   #16
9vapors
Awesome.

Drives: 07 Meteorite Metallic Hatch
Any updates? I am curious to see how this works out. Gl...
9vapors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 01:14 PM   #17
turboyaris

none yet, I'm on vacation in atlanta should be done soon, I have just been real busy you know with summer and all.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:59 PM   #18
regime

Drives: 95 volvo 850 (saving my cash)
thats a sweet DIY fab job on the intake manifold. great to see people are already breaking out the welder on a new(er) car.

the last car i worked on was a 91 crx, so it had a ton of parts out there for it...

With all the diy thats going on the after market should pick up fast for the yaris... you know other then shift knobs and tail lights....
regime is offline   Reply With Quote