Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-28-2018, 08:16 PM   #1
RMcG

Drives: 2008 Yaris Base Hatchback
Soft unidentified tinkling noise audible at low speed

I hear a noise at low speed when driving my Yaris with the window open. The best way to describe it is as a tinkling noise. A relative thought it might be a pebble in a hubcap. That's a good description, but I had & have no hubcaps.

It's not loud enough to be heard at higher speeds, especially with the window closed.

I've been hearing it for at least 2 years, and it does not seem to be affecting the vehicle in any way. The Yaris is just a month shy of 10 years old. I bought it new.

QUESTION: Does anybody have any idea what the noise could be and if it is important?

Thanks,

R.
RMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 12:40 AM   #2
komichal

Drives: Yaris 2007 1.3 2SZFE 64kW
My friend experienced something similar, it was coming from rear right wheel. The exhaust muffler was the culprit - while it looked pretty solid outside, there was something loosened inside - it was tinkling and rattling a bit in low RPMs. With higher RPMs the noise was gone - probably the pressure of the fumes did its job.
I am not saying that this is your problem too... just that I have experienced this. :)
komichal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 07:44 AM   #3
dogsridewith

Drives: 2007 2-door hatchback
Soft unidentified tinkling noise audible at low speed after wheel change

A month or so ago I installed the summer treads (on circa 1990 Miata steelies w/ a 2 year old powdercoat, leaving the wheel-to-hub/drum interface dry and free of any lube except around the center holes.) and immediately started to hear a "Soft unidentified tinkling noise audible at low speed."
Only other things I did were rattle-can the circa 1990 Tercel steel acorn lugnuts w/ rust converter and squirt Corrosion Block on all seams and fasteners I could see from underneath the Yaris.
No idea of noise source.
Not hearing it now.
dogsridewith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 02:56 PM   #4
RMcG

Thanks Dogsride and komichai,

Any other comments from you or anybody else will be welcomed.

R.
Old 06-05-2018, 05:37 PM   #5
fourbangingfun

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Could be a small stone stuck in one of your rotors. I had the same symptoms in my 07 sedan, even took a video to show the sound I was getting at low speeds. I had to take the wheel off, remove the caliper, and remove the rotor - and the stone fell right out onto the ground. Hope this helps.

https://youtu.be/79KPXKrsZao
fourbangingfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 12:25 AM   #6
RMcG

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbangingfun View Post
Could be a small stone stuck in one of your rotors. I had the same symptoms in my 07 sedan, even took a video to show the sound I was getting at low speeds. I had to take the wheel off, remove the caliper, and remove the rotor - and the stone fell right out onto the ground. Hope this helps.

https://youtu.be/79KPXKrsZao
Thanks four,

That might be the problem. I'll check.

R.

Tags
low, noise, speed, tinkling