Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-25-2007, 03:03 AM   #1
drecian

Drives: '07 YR 3dr
$10 mods...

OK, being the cheap-ass I am, I decided to see whether I could make any mods to increase performance/efficiency for as little as possible. I was Checking out some local garage/yard sales, when I found some vacuum cleaner hose for like $2. SCORE!!

I take my car to the track often and find that I have issues with brake fade after a few laps. I looked inside the guard liner and pretty much figured out why; with any lack of adequate airflow to the brakes. Since my car doesn't have fogs, I took off the blanking panels and thought hmm... and cut about a foot of the vacuum cleaner hose for each side and ziptied one end to the 'fog hole' and the other end to a hole a holesawed in the guardliner kinda directed at the back of the rotor. After a few repeated test runs (120kph - 0), I found it took the brakes a few more stops before significant fade started.
That's cheap practical mod #1...

I've thought of getting an intake made up so the filter was in the wheelwell, so it was a cold air intake and not a hot air intake like if the filter sat where the airbox would be... More messing around included takign the airbox snorkel off and going for some 'spirited' runs in the mountains. WHOA!!! the induction noise was sweeet. But (according to scangauge2), intake temps had pretty much doubled that if I had kept the snorkel. So back on went hte snorkel and back to thinking I went. The vacuum hose came to mind and I set another piece up to the fog hole, and near the mouth of the intake snorkel to effectively have a cold air ram feed. Intake temps dropped a few degrees *c, so...
Cheap practical mod #2 done & dusted!

Then I looked at the airbox and went hmm... (I do that a lot) and saw how it almost sat behind the radiator. So I went to the local hardware store and found some adhesive insulation tape. Got it home and took out the airbox (top and bottom). Then pretty much covered it up in the insulation tape and put it back in... Went for some more 'spirited' runs and found intake temps to stay aournd the same, but rise slower than before during the drive... Also put some mesh over the intake snorkel incase my vacuum tube sucks up anything...
So cheap mod #3!!

Or I could have used that money and got some fluffy-dice...

P.S. those tires are only 3000km old; hte price for trackking huh...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0001.JPG (97.8 KB, 2667 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0010.JPG (97.1 KB, 2603 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0011.JPG (104.1 KB, 2589 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0005.JPG (104.0 KB, 2591 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0004.JPG (102.9 KB, 2593 views)

Last edited by drecian; 08-25-2007 at 03:06 AM. Reason: Double posted pics
drecian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 03:43 AM   #2
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo

cheap, practical, and useful, what's not to like?

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 04:41 AM   #3
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
I like the netting on the end of the snorkel. Its kind of like a practical little filter. I have seen people do the same tricks with the fog light before. You need to get some mesh and mold it onto the foglight hole and paint it black. Like the rally cars that have what looks like headlights but the are painted netting and mesh.
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 10:53 AM   #4
pp.sweet

Drives: Red Yaris HatchBack
Looks like a quick and easy mod..for more COLD air..nice

wELCOME TO oUR wORLD..
pp.sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 03:00 PM   #5
cm07yaris

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Blazing Blue
Send a message via AIM to cm07yaris
its like the monster garage where they made the old mustang 5.0 into a lawnmower, only the yaris is a giant vacuum cleaner!
cm07yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 04:28 PM   #6
jdium
Mr Attitude

Drives: Blazing Blue 5 Spd
Nice, something that is actually useful...the brake duct that is...the intake looks to be in a place to ingest liquids...
Old 09-23-2007, 02:59 PM   #7
Memmy07

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan Type S
That was a great idea! But not the best way to hide the vacume tubes! I would've but them behind the grill.
Memmy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 11:32 PM   #8
flagmunkey

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Send a message via AIM to flagmunkey
^he prob put the foglight cover thing back on.
flagmunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 12:33 AM   #9
drecian

Drives: '07 YR 3dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by flagmunkey View Post
^he prob put the foglight cover thing back on.
Yeah, the plastic covers go on for daily duties, and come off for the track or nite runs through the mountains...

drecian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 01:55 PM   #10
SaerinRhoe
'09 Yaris

Drives: '09 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by drecian View Post
Yeah, the plastic covers go on for daily duties, and come off for the track or nite runs through the mountains...

<smart_arse_comment=on>

Night runs through the mountains? What do you think you are, a combat pilot?

<smart_arse_comment=off>

And yeah, I know, it's been a while since this thread was posted but I just couldn't resist the smart comment.

Thanks for the tips. I might try this myself and see what happens at my next auto-x.

S.R.

SaerinRhoe is offline   Reply With Quote