Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-16-2009, 02:10 PM   #1
Dave

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
DIY Aux Jack Install

I've tried and tried to search for relevant threads to this, and couldn't find any. I think I remember some things from before the threads were erased last fall...
Anyway, apologies if this has been asked and answered before.

The stock stereo HU in my Canadian-purchased sedan does not have the AUX button on it, but I'm wondering if there is any way to hook up an auxiliary cable to use with an mp3 player.

I thought I remembered an old discussion or two where people found that their cars came pre-wired for an aux jack, even if one wasn't installed. The people then found that when a jack was wired in place, pressing the DISC button (or something) twice caused the CD display to read "track 99", and audio worked through the jack.

I found this thread regarding the pre-wiring: http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?p=67053

Any insight from others' experience would be greatly appreciated, before I start taking things apart.

And, yes, I realize it would probably be easier to just buy a new deck with a jack built in, but I think after-market decks are generally horrendously ugly and I kinda like the look of the stock unit.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 02:34 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The connector in that thread looks too large to be the Aux one (at least on the LB it is about half the size of that one). The one in the pic might be the one for the fog light switch?
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:45 PM   #3
Dave

So I finally got around to taking apart some of the interior trim and the sedan is, infact, pre-wired for an aux jack. It's a small grey plug, taped against some other wires. No pics, but I can take some if anyone is particularly curious.

Does anyone have any insight into whether or not plugging in the OEM jack will let my stereo use the auxiliary function? If someone could give me a heads up before I spend the money on a jack, that would be awesome.

I've done some more research and it looks like the "track 99" situation I described earlier seems to be what happens when you use one of those eBay kits that works through the CD changer port.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:15 PM   #4
jkuchta

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatch (red)
PM me if you still want my jack.
jkuchta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 07:36 PM   #5
CanadianHiFive2

Drives: Sedan
Some pics would be great i was kinda interested in this as well
CanadianHiFive2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:35 PM   #6
Dave

Soooooo this totally did not work.

The jack was only $30 from my neighbourhood Toyota dealer, so I figured I'd give it a shot and see what happens.

I plugged the jack into the harness plug thing, and nothing happened (surprise, surprise). I tried to trace the wires through the car and I couldn't follow them.

Anyone know any way of making this work, or do I have to use some aftermarket contraption to get an auxiliary input for my stereo?
Old 04-18-2009, 12:44 AM   #7
got615

Drives: Yaris
Maybe the wire is not connected to the HU.... Please let me know if you find out anything new... thanks
got615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 09:09 PM   #8
julienrl

Drives: 2007 yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
So I finally got around to taking apart some of the interior trim and the sedan is, infact, pre-wired for an aux jack. It's a small grey plug, taped against some other wires. No pics, but I can take some if anyone is particularly curious.

I've done some more research and it looks like the "track 99" situation I described earlier seems to be what happens when you use one of those eBay kits that works through the CD changer port.
where are these two wires and what is this "cd changer port" solution?

thank you
julienrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 07:05 PM   #9
julienrl

Drives: 2007 yaris
I have the canadian sedan with stock radio too... anyone got a breakthrough on this since the connectors from the other thread don't seem to work according to other posts?

thx.
julienrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:20 AM   #10
Stefanos
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris Terra 2007
hello everyone just signed up to this site, I am too looking for some help to connect an mp3 aux port, since mine also just has a cd players.
does any has instructions on how to do so???
Stefanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:43 PM   #11
vhicke

Drives: yaris
This is interesting but is there a update.....Anyone have pics....And does it work..
vhicke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:15 PM   #12
Dave

There might be a way, but I gave up and got a PIE adaptor (http://www.pie.net/) and plugged it in to the CD changer port.