Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-25-2009, 11:47 PM   #1
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
Starting to have my fill of the Yaris... (Split CV Boot)

So while crawling underneath the Yaris today, I noticed on the drivers side lower arm area, some sort of muddy looking stuff. Figured it was just dirt buildup yet while looking at the passenger side, there was nothing. So I go to clean it and it feels alot like some sort of grease, definately not dirt. Well after some tooling around, come to find a small rip in the CV boot. It's not flapping and you can't even see the opening, so it must be still keeping stuff out. I havn't had any sort of noises or clicking, so I would have never even known if it wasn't for looking close underneath. I just wonder what the hell would have caused it to happen.

Called Toyota dealership and they tell me they don't cover any sort of work like that, it's not part of warranty. I call local parts stores and the CV boot is $50 and that if I needed two joints to be replaced, each one is $500. F' that.

Any ideas on what I should do to try and resolve this? The manager at one dealer said to bring it in and if it wasn't something that I intentionally did (run something over, damage it by accident, etc), that he would replace the boot and the joints if needed. Knowing them though, they will try to weasel their way out of it.

Like I said, there's no noises or clicks at all so anything possible that I can just patch the boot up or something inexpensive?
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:56 PM   #2
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Isn't that part of the drivetrain?

You can run w/o the grease, it just sucks w/o it.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 12:09 AM   #3
lilredrocket
Slowy getting there

Drives: 08 Liftback
Put back on your stock suspension and take the car put there and tell them to replace you CV shaft once it starts leaking it starts going bad. I would not recommend running a CV without greese.
Old 09-26-2009, 12:36 AM   #4
detroiter

Well I can't take off the shocks and springs to go back stock, I can't afford to switch it back just to take it in. The springs and shocks have nothing to do with why the boot has a rip. Worst comes to worst I'm just going to put some grease in there and seal it up with some black silicone.

i find it hard to believe that just because a single $50 piece of rubber gets a cut in it, that you need to spend $1000 just to replace the joints along with it. That's rediculous. There must be some sort of solution. I've been reading about some sort of cv boot kits that are two halfs and they clamp on so that you don't need to take the axle and other garbage off to get to it.
Old 09-26-2009, 12:42 AM   #5
ddongbap
Banned

The modification is directly related to the problem. Even though its not the cause of the problem, your local dealer will give you crap about that for sure.
Old 09-26-2009, 12:52 AM   #6
detroiter

That's already a given. They would probably cry if it was TRD springs and shocks too.
Car is not even 2 years old and already a problem like this. Not so sure I'll be buying a Toyota again. A new one anyways.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:10 AM   #7
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
you probably hit a peice of rubbish on the road which cut the boot .
just replace the boot , put in more grease, and you will be fine
or let Toyota do it , theres no way your CV joints will need doing .
they will do 20,000Km with out grease before you will even here
any sort of failure noise ( clicking ).
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 01:15 AM   #8
detroiter

Thanks guy, I'm not really convinced I need to replace the CV joints along with the boot. The things don't make noise or click, nothing at all. I'm not going to replace something that doesn't need it, especially at that cost. How hard is it to replace the boot and how long would it take to do?
Old 09-26-2009, 01:32 AM   #9
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Years ago I replaced a broken boot with a replacement kit. I don't know if they are still made. They are made to go around the joint and are snapped and glued together, then clamped to the shaft. I bought it at the local parts store. You might check around if they still make it.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 01:52 AM   #10
detroiter

If you or anyone can find a kit online like that, can you please paste the link? I appreciate it. I've been trying to find a kit like that online but no such luck except for
some online shop in the U.K.
Old 09-26-2009, 02:20 AM   #11
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
It's called a split boot. There are split boots for Honda and Acura online. I can't find one for Toyota. There are sites that advise against the split boot. If I find something, I'll post.

http://www.raxles.com/splitboots.aspx

http://www.aa1car.com/library/2004/bf100434.htm
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:21 AM   #12
detroiter

Here's the method that I've come across. Seems like a winner...

http://www.saabcentral.com/~munki/te...retch_type.htm
Old 09-26-2009, 02:54 AM   #13
ddongbap
Banned

Did you know those Honda guys just replace the entire boot/halfshaft? They've got it easy. Ours is too expensive to do that.
Old 09-26-2009, 06:52 AM   #14
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
You just disassemble the ball joint/tie rod end and press the axle from the lower end of the strut. Then the axle can be removed from the car and a new boot fitted. Wondering if they sell just the bootsince most boots problems are solved by fitting a new axle these days. Ive used split boots and they sometimes work and sometimes dont work. Fitting an origional boot isnt that hard.
Its rare to hear of a boot splitting on a new car. BTW I think if you patch the old one itll just eventually tear open. I check my boots every oil change regardless. You dont think you might have poked a hole in it when you worked on the suspension?
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 07:16 AM   #15
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
I wouldnt trash Toyota for a torn cv boot as it could happen to any car,When modifying your suspension did it not occur to you that you were now giving your dealer a huge loophole to jump through if you had any problems in that area of the car,any dealer would have done the same thing, so lets not throw the baby out with the bathwater eh.Toyotas are good cars.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 08:23 AM   #16
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB M/T
Just buy a replacement boot from a parts store, fill it with grease and swap it out. Your CV will probably be fine if it hasn't accumulated a bunch of debris/water. Swapping a CV boot isnt that hard.
ozmdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 08:33 AM   #17
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
The important thing is making sure the joints are clean and getting the grease back in there. Once the dirt gets in those CV joints they are not long for this world.

Make the dealer go good-it's part of the drivetrain and your mods shouldn't have caused the problem.

R2
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 08:41 AM   #18
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Check out Yaris drive shafts on eBay. I bought a complete low mileage one with boots intact for $50. Is it the inner (next to the tranny) or outer boot (next to the hub) that is ripped? On the bent axle that I pulled off, the inner boot was shredded, but the outer one is still good.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote