Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 03-30-2009, 09:52 PM   #1
Syroyizhka

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Exclamation Front end suspension making "Creaking Door"noise! Need help!

I bought a 2007 hatchback yaris from a private owner, only lately i started noticing that whenver the weight shifts to the front of the car, it makes a weird creaking door noise. The car has lowering springs on it, but i dont know if its the springs or the shocks making that noise?! I'm pretty sure its not rubbing the fender cover or anything. Is there anything i can try to lube before i take it to the mechanic?
Syroyizhka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:38 PM   #2
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
springs creak. you can take it to a mechanic but they'll probably tell you there is nothing they can do.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 10:56 PM   #3
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
I'd imagine that you could always try spraying some lithium grease or some other sort of lubricant, around the springs area where it is tightly wound and makes contact.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:09 AM   #4
devinlamothe

Drives: '07 Yaris HB
It's OK ... mine do the same thing. I think it just means it needs new springs/shocks ... although I also have over 110,000km on mine.
devinlamothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:28 AM   #5
Syroyizhka

Would replacing shocks with aftermarket ones fix the problem?
Old 03-31-2009, 10:32 AM   #6
Syroyizhka

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroiter View Post
I'd imagine that you could always try spraying some lithium grease or some other sort of lubricant, around the springs area where it is tightly wound and makes contact.
I'm going out to my car right now, i hope that will at least temporariliy fix my problem until i figure out what to do, perhaps get new front springs, or get that "Black tape"to roll around the coils like on the rear springs.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:07 PM   #7
jdinrc

Drives: 2009 Yaris Blazing Blue 3dr
You might want to look deeper to see if it really is the springs rubbing and not something else. It could be the bushings on your struts/shocks or other front-end bushings that are worn out.
jdinrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:18 AM   #8
RomGrr

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
I'd guess it's springs over anything else. If it were the shocks I'd imagine you could tell because of the horrible ride quality, i.e. bouncing all over the place. I'd suggest lobbing some grease or graphite powder in the coils of the front springs only. It can't do any harm, and if you're still making noise it's probably the shocks.

Otherwise, you have a bad bushing or axle, although the axle would make a lot more noise in turns well before it started making noise from front weight shift. Try the cheap solution first.

EDIT: I'm really thinking it's just your springs rubbing together. Braking throws all of the weight of the car to the front end. Lowered springs are often progressive, so the top halves of the springs are pretty much stock-spaced but the bottom half coils are much closer together. The closer the coils, the more often they are prone to rubbing. Hope this helps you.
RomGrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:53 PM   #9
Syroyizhka

OK, i have OFFICIALLY LUBED UP MY FRONT SPRINGS, i found out that the front springs DID in fact have the black rubber around them on top and on the bottom. After lubing it, the noise has disapeared. I did notice some paint wear on the springs as i was lubing them! is that bad? will it start making noise again in the winter again? is buying new front springs gonna solve my problem, or do all lowered springs do that? are Springs sold in pairs of 2?
Old 04-03-2009, 07:55 AM   #10
RomGrr

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
There's no telling how long the springs will stay lubed. Buying a new set might fix the sound but then again the new ones might do the same thing over time. I don't think you'll be able to find a set of just 2 anyway. I think at this point the sound is just something you have to live with. I'd either 1.) Learn to live with the sound, 2.) Keep the springs greased so they don't make any noise, or 3.) Score a set of stock springs and struts and return the car to factory settings.

Seriously, the sound isn't an issue as far as structural integrity of the vehicle is concerned. The springs aren't wearing out or anything. In fact, the life of the springs will most likely outlast the life of the vehicle.
RomGrr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suspension noise creak