Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-19-2012, 01:32 AM   #1
JBougie
Banned

Drives: 2010 Yaris LB (Prev: 07 Sedan)
Anyone in here with a green thumb?

I need help planning a flower bed .... I bought two Blue Girl rose bushes today, but I just dont know what else to get. What flowers are hard to kill, and good for people who seem to have no luck at all when it comes to flowers/plants?

Any tips for roses? I excited for all my landscaping plans to come to life, but I have no idea how to start them lol
JBougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:54 AM   #2
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Roses. Feed them. They like a lot of water. Before spring, you cut them down to three main stalks. Feels horrible, but they love it and come back better every year. Do NOT cover the "bowl" at the bottom of the plant. I have 9 and some are 40 years old, inherited from the last owner.

Other plants. Look up your zone with the Western Garden Book or something similar for your region (WORTH IT to buy), or online. Knowing your Zone is magic! and you can get lists of plants to look at for your climate.

Have fun, and understand that some things are going to die -- so do your homework to maximize your chances, just learn and keep planting.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:34 AM   #3
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Cannot over emphasize bed soil prep. Dig deep in the beds to break up existing soil, and turn in plenty of good compost, triple-mix and shredded newspaper.

You could go check out your local garden centers. Many will offer free landscape consultations and plans, provided you buy your nursery stock from them. Plants may be more expensive, but you may save yourself a lot of trial and error grief.

And lastly, MULCH!!!
Old 02-19-2012, 01:24 PM   #4
JBougie
Banned

I have *tons* of mulch (got it for free - I love hookups...lol), but I am not understanding the shredded newspaper? Like real Sunday papers?

Thanks Garm :) Rose tips are definitely appreciated .... I have heard from so many people that they're really easy to grow, and don't require a ton of work - but they just look so delicate I don't really believe it hahahh

Our "zone" is March from what all the back of the plants say, but I am going to go by Books A Million this afternoon and pick up a book or two .... just to make sure :)
Old 02-19-2012, 01:51 PM   #5
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

A good organic soil amendment is all I've ever used to break up and prepare our crappy clay "soil" here. Never tried newspaper. I'm assuming you'd run it through an office shredder first?

"Zones" have a number:1-24 for example. Your zone will lead to a list of plants that do well where you are.

Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:28 PM   #6
JBougie
Banned

We have a lot of red clay soil here, luckily the existing 'flower bed' (aka place that collected leaves and random things, along with old mulch and potting soil so it's like a compost at this point) is clay free. Win!

I'm in zone 7 so the roses will go well here from what I read, I am looking at what my other options are - and if I want to go with annuals or perennials. I keep eye-balling some bulbs that are talking dirty to me - but I don't know if I want to try those and roses all in the same year. I did get the rose bushes in the ground tonight and I put up my solar lights. Next week I am ordering our new front door and will grab flowers at that time while I'm at Home Depot since I'll be there putting the door on order.

The back yard is next ...... next year :D
Old 02-19-2012, 09:47 PM   #7
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
You could trip out your neighbours and plant Castor Bean Plants....

They are super easy to grow... grow very fast... dont require much water... and look like giant Marijuana plants hahahaha.

I also like Cold Hardy Palms....

You should go to your local Farmers Market, they will have all the cool plants that are appropriate for TN.

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:22 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I have a bunch of perennial beds. Bee Balm, Cone Flowers, Asters, Bleeding Heart and Russian Iris have all proved indestructible for me. Perennials that I planted when we bought the house 15 years ago come back every year with minimal care. Bee Balm is a Hummingbird favorite as well.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:09 AM   #9
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Being naturally lazy, I go for perennials, preferably ones that look after themselves. It is a good idea to double-dig the bed, ie, dig it up, take out that soil, and dig it up again, then replace the other layer, not likely to ever dig again, particularly with all that compost. Just keep adding more compost every year, manure preferably. I do envy your Zone 7!

I buy a few seed packets every year, and pitch them everywhere, stuff like poppies, bachelor buttons, marigolds; many of these re-seed themselves, and make it look like you really work hard at it. Buy a new rose every year, and you're done.
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:56 AM   #10
JBougie
Banned

I LOVE bleeding hearts, so I am thrilled that you said they were in the "pretty much care for themselves" group :)

I like your gardening style TLyttle!!! :)
Old 02-20-2012, 01:03 PM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

The other garden option that is very enjoyable is water gardening. I have two ponds - One with Koi and the the other with just plants. The plant pond acts as a natural filter for the Koi pond, so it is maintenance free.

Koi Ponds.jpg
Old 02-20-2012, 02:05 PM   #12
JBougie
Banned

That's more effort than I want to put in .... they're beautiful, but with horses, dogs, and flowers - I think I will have my hands full :)

I so would love one though, but there isn't much yard space for stuff like that. Well, maybe next summer when I do the backyard; I could actually fit one in the back yard and extend the fence and just take a little room out of the front pasture. Yeahhh. I think you just gave me a really good idea :)
Old 02-20-2012, 03:26 PM   #13
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
id consider perrenial plants live alot longer even on 4 seasonal locations

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the object. Torque is how far you move that object.."
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:13 PM   #14
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Scott, when the times comes I'll pick your brain about those ponds. I want koi someday.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:22 PM   #15
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
I wish our key west lime, persian lime and loquat trees would bear fruit :(......

Persian lime is bearing but they all are falling off....
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:54 PM   #16
J_Lynn
[Space For Rent]

Drives: 2010 LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
Scott, when the times comes I'll pick your brain about those ponds. I want koi someday.
I second that .... I am just wondering with 2 dachshunds how long they'd last, if they see something moving and it looks like it's "below" the ground, they go nuts. lol
J_Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:15 PM   #17
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Lynn View Post
I second that .... I am just wondering with 2 dachshunds how long they'd last, if they see something moving and it looks like it's "below" the ground, they go nuts. lol
Dogs are typically fine around ponds. We never had an issue with our pug and my neighbor's crazy dogs, that like to come over and bark at our chickens, only use my ponds as their giant water bowl.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:56 PM   #18
J_Lynn
[Space For Rent]

Drives: 2010 LB
That wouldn't be bad then. What do they do in winter when it gets to freezing temps?