Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-27-2007, 09:08 PM   #19
Nimble
Modification Condoner.

Drives: 2007 Black Sand Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by john@bp View Post
considering the fact that you are only replacing the rear section...it cannot get too loud.
What are you talking about? The rear muffler IS what makes the exhaust loud. Sure a catless test pipe/header combo would be louder, but rest assured, a rear rice pipe will fart it's way down the block with the best of the ricers. I can't stand those designs....even on a Supra that can support the sound, they look/sound like hell. Aftermarket BMW exhaust systems (Stromung, AA, Borla, Eisenmann), now THAT'S style.

Tanabe DF, Debadged, stripped, Black emblems
Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 09:50 PM   #20
BulletProofAuto

Drives: 00 itr
the exhaust sound is the combination of everything and you are still replacing a muffler with a muffler, once again loud is subjective. we are obviously way different in thought though. i can't stand the term ricer put on someone who has a loud high pitched exhaust, a ricer is someone who values looks over performance but wants to keep on the idea that the performance is still there. in my stance i value performance over all and if a high pitched horrible sounding exhaust nets me the most gains then i'll take that anyday. calling rsr a rice pipe is a slap to their face, they've been building competition race vehicles for a very long time and have been supplying excellent suspension and exhaust tuning parts for years. loud=greater exhaust velocity, some people actually want their exhaust systems to be as efficient as possible.
BulletProofAuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 10:08 PM   #21
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
I agree with both of you, if you want the absolute best power gain from an exhaust, that would mean noise. That's really fine for a track car, but if it's a daily driver, it will get old fast and piss off other drivers and your neighbors. In that case a compromise between noise and flow should be the goal.

But, there are also "ricer" exhausts which are basically designed to make noise, to give the impression of more power than it really provides. Mind you I don't think any proper equipment manufacturer like HKS, RS-R, Fujitsubo, etc fall in this category, I mean more like bargain basement exhausts you might find on ebay and on the back of most Civics ()

Anyway let's leave it at that and not turn this thread into another bashfest

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote