Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-18-2010, 09:03 AM   #1
mark293

Drives: 2007 THREE DOOR 5 SPEED
Shifting without the clutch

Does anyone routinely shift without using the clutch? I did this for years on my 5 speed F350, and as long as you are in the right rpm range the shifts are just as smooth as using the clutch. The Yaris seems tailor made for this type of driving if you use common sense.
mark293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:32 AM   #2
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Using common sense implies using the clutch. Transmission synchros can cope with clutchless shifting to a point, if you're cruising under neutral power so there's little or no torque on the gears, but they'll wear out a lot faster than if you declutch as you should. If you really want to reduce wear, you'll double clutch to match the speed of the gears before they start to engage again. The proper way to shift without using the clutch is to buy an automatic.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:40 AM   #3
Kongo-Otto

Drives: '09 Yaris & '10 Auris
Why should one not use the clutch? Laziness?
The Yaris has no dogbox so you should use the clutch at any gear change. It is no "kind of driving" it is just abuse.
Kongo-Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 09:42 AM   #4
matanfr
diaper change in a yaris

Drives: 2009 multimode hatchback 5dr
excuse me,Yaris Hilton..
but what do you mean by "double clutch"? and can i perform it if i have robotic transmission?
Old 06-18-2010, 09:51 AM   #5
Kongo-Otto

Quote:
Originally Posted by matanfr View Post
excuse me,Yaris Hilton..
but what do you mean by "double clutch"? and can i perform it if i have robotic transmission?
You have MMT? You can't double clutch then. It is not necessary anyways. The Yaris is no oldschool bus or truck.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:06 AM   #6
mark293

No need to call me names. Lazy I am not. I was just curious if this technique was used by anyone else. BTW, using this technique my F350 had 576,000 miles on it before I gave it away to a gentleman in the church who needed a reliable daily driver. I hope your Yaris last at least half as long. Ill continue to do what I want and you all can continue your childish ways. Thanks and have a great day.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:10 AM   #7
Kongo-Otto

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark293 View Post
No need to call me names. Lazy I am not. I was just curious if this technique was used by anyone else. BTW, using this technique my F350 had 576,000 miles on it before I gave it away to a gentleman in the church who needed a reliable daily driver. I hope your Yaris last at least half as long. Ill continue to do what I want and you all can continue your childish ways. Thanks and have a great day.
Sorry, but it is abuse to shift a manual car without using the clutch. We are not talking about race cars, do we? That has nothing to do with "call me names" or "childish". Nice to hear your old car did not take any damage with your so-called technique.

That is no offense. I still don't get the advantage of your technique. Can you explain it to us?
Old 06-18-2010, 10:32 AM   #8
mark293

Its not like Im saving a few milliseconds by not using the clutch, I was just making a statement as to what was possible. However the clutchless shifting appears to be slightly smoother.

Its funny how so called forum experts chime in as to what is detrimental to a vehicle, such as in oil debates, but they have no empirical proof. Im sure no one expected the 400k Yaris on this forum to last that long while doing regular top speed runs. My vehicle is paid for and I plan on keeping it for its entire service life. When I get to 200, 300, or even 400k miles without a transmission related failure, Ill let you know. Until then keep on giving expert advice.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:37 AM   #9
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Sure I did/do it all the time with my ECHO and now with my Suzuki DL1000. Its a good skill to have. Once on a 500 mile trip from home my Toyota pickup had the clutch pedal freeze in the up position. You couldnt push it dowm. A bolt had worked out and got jamed in the mechanism. I had to R&R the trans and fix it. But before I could do that I drove 500 miles home with no clutch! If youre wondering how to start moving heres how: put the trans in first and crank the engine. The vehicle will move and the engine start. If you have a "push the clutch in to start" car, then youll have to disable it. First thing Idid on my ECHO.
Clutchless shifting on my Suzuki is incredibly smooth. Even downshifting. That transmission is amazing.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:00 AM   #10
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by matanfr View Post
excuse me,Yaris Hilton..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_clutch
Old 06-18-2010, 11:08 AM   #11
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
i could do it in my matrix xrs...but i cant remember the rpms to do it

i havent found the clutchless spot on the yaris (yet)...if you find out, let us know

i don't think it hurts the synchros at all, PK, there just an area in the gearing in most cars where you can pull it out of gear and put it into the next one w/o using the clutch
Old 06-18-2010, 11:11 AM   #12
AND189
Banned

Drives: 2
everyone is an expert on here that is why we are here ha ha i was keen to master the clutchless shift just to see if i can do it
Quote:
lutchless shifting is ok for straight cut gears not helical like the Yaris
well i can say i only did it once not a good sound ha ha, but if someone can shed some light on speed / rpm just to see if i can do it, it would be helpful mark293 ???
AND189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:21 PM   #13
Kongo-Otto

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Clutchless shifting on my Suzuki is incredibly smooth. Even downshifting. That transmission is amazing.
It is because it has a straight gearbox, like most other regular motorcycles. You can shift up without a clutch and if you are not doing it completely wrong there will be no more wear to the transmission.

Downshifting without clutch needs a little more practice and i would not recommend it even if it could work smoothly.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:34 PM   #14
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AND189 View Post
everyone is an expert on here that is why we are here ha ha
You got it!
Old 06-18-2010, 12:34 PM   #15
SAV912
Pirate Yaaaaris

Drives: '00 Toyota Celica GTS 6MT
Send a message via AIM to SAV912
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark293 View Post
How the hell is it CHILDISH to use a car the way it was suppose to be used?

If not using the clutch pedal was smoother or more economical or faster or, hell, brought magical baby unicorns back from extinction, then there wouldn't be a clutch pedal in the car. It was easier on a damn F350 because that's a work truck with some meaningful torque to it.

Don't walk onto these forums and immediately start throwing boulders in your glass house because everyone else here shut you down with your clutchless shifting.

-SAV

'09 Yaris LB 5MT Sold.

Last edited by PK198105; 06-18-2010 at 12:41 PM. Reason: no name calling please
SAV912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:37 PM   #16
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAV912 View Post
How the hell is it CHILDISH to use a car the way it was suppose to be used?

If not using the clutch pedal was smoother or more economical or faster or, hell, brought magical baby unicorns back from extinction, then there wouldn't be a clutch pedal in the car. It was easier on a damn F350 because that's a work truck with some meaningful torque to it.

Don't walk onto these forums and immediately start throwing boulders in your glass house because everyone else here shut you down for being an idiot with your clutchless shifting.

-SAV
lol

unicorns are extinct and therefore actually exisited?

and who's slinging boulders now, mr 26 posts...?
Old 06-18-2010, 12:41 PM   #17
SAV912
Pirate Yaaaaris

Drives: '00 Toyota Celica GTS 6MT
Send a message via AIM to SAV912
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
lol

unicorns are extinct and therefore actually exisited?

and who's slinging boulders now, mr 26 posts...?
Yep. I saw them in my dreams.

Come now, good sir, low post counts does not mean a lack of knowledge. I've lurked for a few years now. What was that saying about being thought a fool, rather than opening your mouth so everyone KNEW you were a fool?

-SAV

'09 Yaris LB 5MT Sold.
SAV912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 01:00 PM   #18
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kongo-Otto View Post
It is because it has a straight gearbox, like most other regular motorcycles. You can shift up without a clutch and if you are not doing it completely wrong there will be no more wear to the transmission.

Downshifting without clutch needs a little more practice and i would not recommend it even if it could work smoothly.

Practice on a Zuk DL1000 and you'll be an expert in no time!
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote