Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

View Poll Results: Do you regret getting the AT?
YES 7 20.00%
NO 28 80.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-08-2012, 05:47 PM   #91
upgradedyaris

Drives: Yaris & Supra
I like the fact that my Yaris is an auto. It is nice and relaxing and can just take it easy. I don't regret getting it at all. I have my manual Supra for my summer fun car and it is old too. You can't dis the older cars. Many of them are awesome.
upgradedyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 06:10 PM   #92
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAV912 View Post
But there's a reason her's is the automatic and mine is the manual.
'Cause she's smarter than you?!?

All kidding aside, that's a great pic!

Cheers! M2
Old 01-08-2012, 07:19 PM   #93
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Only manual I could find back in March '08 was a red bare bones hatch. Not interested....
Ended up getting a loaded Metiorite AUTO hatch instead, gotta have the creature comforts!

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:48 PM   #94
NZ-FE Vios
Only Timing Chains

Drives: 09YarisSedan, 94Truck22re
I was ok getting a bare bones. If it was red, I probably would have waited. Mirrors and locks would be nice.tho.
NZ-FE Vios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 08:32 AM   #95
PaddyMac

Drives: 09 Yaris
I got an auto because I was thinking that a MT would have a clutch and a clutch would be one more ware item on my new car. /I have a 62 Chevy pick up that is a lot of work/ I found out 2 years after I got my new car that my wife refuses to drive a MT. I was very injured in a MVA not in the car. If I got a MT I would not have to share my car. Next car will have a MT for sure now
PaddyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:54 PM   #96
jayeh

Drives: '08 Yaris LB
Everyone is forgetting the best part of having a MT, not having to loan your car to anyone because they can't drive it.

I'm on the fence about getting the MT. I've been looking for an auto, but the MT ones are so much cheaper its incredible. For $6000 you get a 2004 echo auto with 160,000km, or $6000 for a 2006 Yaris MT, loaded, with 90,000km. :eye bulge:

I also want the MT so I can take off on second. I find the automatics toyota uses are ridiculously steep in first year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattS. View Post
I was looking for a new Yaris with MT. Damn hard to find, so I ended up with an AT. How about the reverse... anyone wish they had bought an AT Yaris. I doubt either side will admit to anything :)
Really?
I'm having trouble finding an automatic one here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by churp View Post
The ocassional emergency power situation is in favor of the automatic....don't always have that extra second to downshift to 2nd or 3rd. Haven't seen too many law enforcment with manuals for a few decades either.
I don't think there is a manual option for the chevy suv's, ford suv's, ford crown vics, or chevy impalas that the police use here.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:33 PM   #97
CPALK719

Drives: 2012 toyota yaris
no regrets at all, i just purchase my 2012 magnetic grey 3 door L model, and im very happy with it !!! its relaxing not having to shift and i can just cruise.

Besides if i want to drive manual car or more like a high HP manual car i'll pull the evo out, or the del sol for those beautiful sunny days out
Old 02-03-2012, 11:25 AM   #98
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
I am guessing that some people love to drive manuals for the sporty feel. I drive an auto because its effortless and you don't even have to think about it. I have done the manual thing in the past and while Toyota makes an almost automatic manual....they shift so easily and smoothly (this is based on a 1980 Corolla SR5 I owned) I prefer to spend my limited attention span on operating my radio and pretending to pay attention to the road in front of me. My wife thinks its a miracle that I haven't already been killed running into a tractor trailer.

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 12:45 PM   #99
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
When I bought my car in 08 I couldn't find any stick with the full power package. I guess I settled for the auto because my old car died and I needed a car like NOW.
I'm happy with the auto, but I think the car would feel faster with the stick. I do hate changing Clutches though.
The painful part was seeing a meteorite fully loaded, with the 5 speed about a month AFTER I bought my car! that's ok, I still get great mpgs and I live in an area with many hills.

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:08 AM   #100
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
the only thing i wish i could add to my car is cruise control, and only occasionally. And of course I could if I really wanted it.

I've never understood why people don't like rush hour traffic in a manual, when i'm stopped i don't have to keep pressure on any pedal at all, rather than mashing the brake all the time.

Oh, and how many have mistakenly had drive when they wanted reverse? I've done it in an auto before, never done it in a manual.

but it is whatever, auto's are finally getting better ecu's and better programming so they don't really resemble the slushboxes of even a decade ago.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:49 PM   #101
caineroad

Drives: 06 Yaris HB CE
i drive an auto if i don't want to put my foot down for red light, then i just put it in neutral and pull the handbrake. i do that all the time when my foot gets tired from braking. all i had to do is push the stick up from D to N
caineroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:39 AM   #102
CanIHazYarisHatch?

Drives: 2012 Yaris 3-door w/5-speed!
I just wish my 5 speed had a 6th gear.
CanIHazYarisHatch? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:26 AM   #103
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanIHazYarisHatch? View Post
I just wish my 5 speed had a 6th gear.
Do you want to get even lower RPMs on the highway? If so, that's a "pretty easy" swap: change the 5th gear pinion and driven gears to those from an 03-07 Matrix. You'd be going from 0.815:1 to 0.725:1, meaning a decent drop in RPMs.

If you want the close ratios of a 6-speed gearbox, then the C160 from a Levin Trueno may be a workable solution, otherwise I'm considering picking up a salvage C60 for measuring and fitment tests.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:34 PM   #104
CanIHazYarisHatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
Do you want to get even lower RPMs on the highway? If so, that's a "pretty easy" swap: change the 5th gear pinion and driven gears to those from an 03-07 Matrix. You'd be going from 0.815:1 to 0.725:1, meaning a decent drop in RPMs.

If you want the close ratios of a 6-speed gearbox, then the C160 from a Levin Trueno may be a workable solution, otherwise I'm considering picking up a salvage C60 for measuring and fitment tests.
I meant I wanted a 6th gear installed at the factory, with the R&D and tests behind it, and the warranty.

I don't want to chop up my new car. She's not even 550 miles or one month in my ownership. This isn't some old beater I can just dissect and duct tape back together. This is my only means of transportation.

I would want a 6th gear for highway runs, and higher MPG. Though, I'm sure the engine would be lugging at 60mph in the imaginary 6th gear. I'm guessing 1500RPM. Not enough torque in that little mill.

But a man can dream.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:35 PM   #105
TPA5
Wait, what?

Drives: NULL
I had an AT 2011 Corolla before some black ice and a telephone pole ended that relationship.

Picked up a MT 2012 Yaris LE a couple weeks ago, and for the first week hated it. Thought I had made a massive mistake getting a MT.

Now in the short span of a week I have gone from hating and regretting the MT to absolutely loving it. I have always liked cars, and with a MT driving is no longer a passive act, but instead a "locking in" of driver and car. Now my car does what I want it to, when I want it to.

I truly hope others are completely wrong when they say MT is going out of style. And I scratch my head somewhat at others who seem to think MT is foolish. Yes, it is another wear item. Realistically, after one gets used to shifiting properly, the clutch should go a long time. A friend of mine has a Toyota truck, 1991 I believe. He has over 400k on it, and still the same clutch. The people who lose a clutch at 50k are those who are unable to adaquetely use one.

Personally, I will drive MT's the rest of my days if I can.

Just my 2 cents though.
TPA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:36 PM   #106
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanIHazYarisHatch? View Post
I meant I wanted a 6th gear installed at the factory, with the R&D and tests behind it, and the warranty.
Understood, just passing on what info I have found. My egg is quickly approaching the magical 36k mile mark, and will shortly thereafter get a custom gearbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPA5 View Post
Now in the short span of a week I have gone from hating and regretting the MT to absolutely loving it. I have always liked cars, and with a MT driving is no longer a passive act, but instead a "locking in" of driver and car. Now my car does what I want it to, when I want it to.
Agreed. I think the automatic transmission has made it too easy for people to become a passive participant in driving. Just look at how many people do everything but pay attention to the road. It would be nice to have cruise control for longer trips, but again, that's just another thing that disconnects you from controlling the car.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:00 PM   #107
CanIHazYarisHatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyOldMan View Post
Understood, just passing on what info I have found. My egg is quickly approaching the magical 36k mile mark, and will shortly thereafter get a custom gearbox.

Agreed. I think the automatic transmission has made it too easy for people to become a passive participant in driving. Just look at how many people do everything but pay attention to the road. It would be nice to have cruise control for longer trips, but again, that's just another thing that disconnects you from controlling the car.
Agreed, and correct on all points.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:04 AM   #108
KSIbucky

Drives: 2007 Yaris manual dark silver
Send a message via AIM to KSIbucky Send a message via MSN to KSIbucky
I have a manual and I wish I had cruse and thats it. I'm not brave enough to install it on mine. Otherwise I don't need power windows or power locks its a 2dr I can just reach over. An automatic would be nice for when I go to Milwaukee or Chicago but its fun to drop it and go through tunnels and other echoy places.

If my next car isn't manual it will be a big boat cruzer like a buick or a caddy or something that I can almost fall asleep driving.
Blitz exhaust
Megan Lowering Springs
(Next is DC Header)
KSIbucky is offline   Reply With Quote