Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-10-2007, 07:16 PM   #1
hans_fh

Drives: Yaris
Do u guys set to Fresh Air for A/C?

The A/C usually took 3-5 minutes to make me feel cool in the car.

I wonder if you guys use Fresh Air or Recycle Air when you are using A/C.
hans_fh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 07:19 PM   #2
Devine

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris 2D Hatch
Send a message via MSN to Devine
Recycle will blow harder and once the it cools inside the car in a few minutes it is well worth it for me.

<<D>>
Devine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 07:23 PM   #3
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
recycle
Old 06-10-2007, 07:40 PM   #4
naossoan

Drives: 07 Yaris 3DR
3-5 minutes? Wow, my car's brand new and I tested the A/C out when I Was on the highway last. It took about 20-30 seconds for me to feel comfortable after pressing the A/C button. 3-5 minutes seems like a looonnnggg time. I was using fresh air.
naossoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 07:44 PM   #5
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
It's a rare day indeed when I use the a/c due to the fuel efficiency hit, but when it is in use I keep it set on fresh air.

Whether the air is fresh or recirculated the compressor works at the same pace for cooling, but I'm saving the ventilation system from having to work twice as hard to induct internal air, letting it get force-fed by external air instead.

It's not quite as cool as using recirculated air but it helps with the fuel efficiency, and also brings me in some fresh pine needle scent.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 10:05 PM   #6
Pars

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Wow BailOut, I can't believe you managed to dig-up a fuel consumption issue with recycle vs fresh.

What's next? only driving the car during a solar eclipse, so that AC system isn't stressed from all the sun shine?

I usually keep it on fresh, but will switch to recycle when humidity is too high, too much smug/pollution and/or too much road dust. The biggest reason for keeping it in fresh mode is to avoid the musky AC smell which tends to happen if the car is undergoing frequent warm start-up.
Pars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 02:00 AM   #7
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Recycled air here... It doesn't usually smell too nice outside on the busy roads... And when your car's been sitting under the tropical sun for several hours, you want maximum cooling

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 05:34 AM   #8
Nigal

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
I always use recycle. I get super hot and sweaty from work so when I get back in the car I want cooled down right now! Once the car is cooled off I turn it down some to an acceptable level to help the AC not work so hard.
Nigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 06:51 AM   #9
Mr.Yaris

Drives: 2007 "Flint Mica" S-Type
I use recycle. I'm surprised that anyone uses fresh. Why? Because the compressor has to work longer to cool the air. If you recycled the air, let it cool down for awhile, and then shut it off, while continuing to recycle the air, you'd save on having to constantly run the A/C and would improve fuel efficiency. Once the air warms back up, turn the A/C on again, and repeat. Aside from it being the logically-intelligent thing to do, I don't know about the LB's, but on my sedan, it says on the cockpit air temp control, something along the lines of "For Max A/C, use [recycle air icon]"...
Old 06-11-2007, 10:48 AM   #10
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
WOW... how timely. My brother just bought a refrigerent charge kit to top off his Scion xB that never blew cold enough for his liking. He had half a can left, so we charged mine up as well and it blows pretty friggin cold now. I always use fresh unless there is a smell from a skunk or diesel, or if traveling in New Jersey in general! hehe After the smell is gone, it goes right back to fresh. On VERY hot days I will use recirc until its nice and cold, then back to fresh.

Like Pars said, You will get musty smells in your A/C system if you leave it in recirc while parked. Plenty of folks have complained about it here.
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 01:58 PM   #11
HTM Yaris
resident senior

Drives: 07 Yaris
To me using fresh vs. recirc is a safety issue . Let me eloborate . When you use recirc it also recircs the moisture that you exhale . That moisture accumulates on the glass . You can really notice this effect at night or when it rains . Believe it or not when it rains , if you use recirc , there will be more moisture in the car than outside . Besides if someone farts (poot if you are a girl) , you will get to enjoy that for a while also

Lets review . If it is raining and your window are fogged , use fresh air , a/c and the defrost vent and your fog will magically disappear . B/C it is evaporating the moisture on the glass .

I don't know why vehicles have a recirc . Think about this , with recirc , every breath you take , there is LESS oxygen , which would make you drowsy .

I don't know about you peeps , but I deserve fresh air ALL the time
HTM Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 08:44 PM   #12
Thotprawsis

Drives: '07 Blazin' Blue LB
Recycle for me to start and fresh after the interior cools down a bit. You should not leave your system on recirculate when parking it due to the moisture build up in the ducts... need dry air to keep down the mildew. There is just something about cool, dark, damp areas and mold.
Thotprawsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 08:47 PM   #13
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
I always shut my ac off a few min before I park the car and let the fan go full blast until it blows no more cool. I have always heard this gets rid of the excess moisture.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:44 PM   #14
churp
Clean and (dis)Functional

Drives: Yaris 2dr--Black Betty
I like to think of the ac as a dehumidifier.....if it's hot and humid outside you are bringing moisture in thru the coils (that's why the dripping outside the car on those days w/ac on) with the recycle you're basically dehumidifying the air in the car..thus more comfortable. Turning off the ac and running the fan before shutting down should be done on either setting.

Have you ever completely froze up the coil (turned it into a block of ice) on a humid hot day? I have on a long trip in a 280Z, (and running on recycle would have stopped it) no air flows thru a block...you have to suffer and wait until it thaws on it's own.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:24 PM   #15
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
i leave it on fresh air for a minute, then switch to recycle.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 10:50 AM   #16
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTM Yaris View Post
To me using fresh vs. recirc is a safety issue . Let me eloborate . When you use recirc it also recircs the moisture that you exhale . That moisture accumulates on the glass . You can really notice this effect at night or when it rains . Believe it or not when it rains , if you use recirc , there will be more moisture in the car than outside . Besides if someone farts (poot if you are a girl) , you will get to enjoy that for a while also

Lets review . If it is raining and your window are fogged , use fresh air , a/c and the defrost vent and your fog will magically disappear . B/C it is evaporating the moisture on the glass .

I don't know why vehicles have a recirc . Think about this , with recirc , every breath you take , there is LESS oxygen , which would make you drowsy .

I don't know about you peeps , but I deserve fresh air ALL the time

the AC actually removes moisture from the air. I'm not sure if it's the same in the yaris, but i observed this a year ago when i was still driving the echo... recirculated or not.. it still recirculates a amount of air.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 02:19 PM   #17
Ran Kizama
That Anime Guy

Drives: 5-Speed Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Ran Kizama Send a message via MSN to Ran Kizama
People actually use the A/C? I guess after owning a Miata, I'm comfortable with just rolling down the windows to cool off. I miss dropping the top though.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:24 PM   #18
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
If your coil ices up, turn on the heat for a few minutes. It will thaw in no time.
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote