Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 11:53 PM   #73
BMGYaris

Drives: Yaris 3dr Hatchback
WELL, maybe not talking on the cell phone...but a few days ago I was browsing the internet on the interstate....maybe yes on that.

oh, and is not talking on the cell phone part of hypermilling techniques?
Old 04-18-2007, 01:27 AM   #74
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMGYaris View Post
I cant find any actual stats or solid information on overinflation--everything focuses on underinflation...
People fail to maintain their cars properly ,including tire pressure, and this is the reason for the focus on underinflation. If you neglect your tires, eventually the pressure will drop creating a dangerous situation. This is a COMMON problem. Overinflation is not a common problem as tires do not spontaneously jump up in pressure. Someone has to overinflate them on purpose. I'm sure after this "hypermiling" trend becomes more well known, and a few 60 PSI tires blow violently causing mayhem on the freeways, the danger of overinflation will spark a few tire pressure studies focusing on overinflation.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:10 AM   #75
Nimble
Modification Condoner.

Drives: 2007 Black Sand Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetersRedYaris View Post
People fail to maintain their cars properly ,including tire pressure, and this is the reason for the focus on underinflation. If you neglect your tires, eventually the pressure will drop creating a dangerous situation. This is a COMMON problem. Overinflation is not a common problem as tires do not spontaneously jump up in pressure. Someone has to overinflate them on purpose. I'm sure after this "hypermiling" trend becomes more well known, and a few 60 PSI tires blow violently causing mayhem on the freeways, the danger of overinflation will spark a few tire pressure studies focusing on overinflation.
99% true, but tires do increase pressure on their own as temps increase (you probably already knew that). I've heard that for every 10degree F increase, the tire pressure goes up 1 lb.

Tanabe DF, Debadged, stripped, Black emblems
Old 04-18-2007, 11:58 AM   #76
Nautical Yaris S
1.5L of FURY!

Drives: 2007 Yaris S Sedan, 5 speed
personally, i wouldn't put my tires past 45psi.
especially since I live in the valley where the temperature gets to 114+ degrees all summer long.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:03 PM   #77
PetersRedYaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimble View Post
99% true, but tires do increase pressure on their own as temps increase (you probably already knew that). I've heard that for every 10degree F increase, the tire pressure goes up 1 lb.
Exactly, I should have included that.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:09 PM   #78
PetersRedYaris

This has been stated before, however, people keep making posts about the tires increase in temperature leading to over MAX pressure recommendations. The max pressure written on the side of the tire is a COLD max pressure. So, if it is 45PSI max, the tire manufacturer knows the tires will heat up thereby increasing the pressure above the max. This does not mean you have to calculate the real max pressure based on your local driving conditions and temperatures. It is recommended you check or adjust tire pressures in the morning before any substantial driving. You can set it at 45PSI. Yes, it will go above 45PSI when you drive fast or as the day gets warmer but that is already figured in.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:28 PM   #79
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
i got front tires on 44psi and back tires on 40 psi .. thats if the air pump pressure meter really is accurate..
Old 08-09-2007, 06:37 PM   #80
Pavel Olavich
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Revenge View Post
I'm not gonna' rag on over-inflation... hypermiling is just plain weird in the first place. Here's my math, please correct me if it's wrong (I suck at math).

Yaris fuel capacity= 11 gallons
Cost of fuel= let's say a nice even $3/gallon
EPA estimate highway= 40mpg
Estimated range for normal driving then= 440 miles
BailOut's range @ 44mpg= 484 miles

BailOut travels 44 miles further on a tank of gas. That's roughly one gallon of fuel he saved compared to a normal driver.

Back to the top, one gallon of fuel costs $3.

Using all the crazy and sometimes dangerous driving techniques that hypermilers use, the driver has managed to save a measly $3 per fillup.

Using this math (which again, could be wrong) I just don't see how anyone can justify dangerous driving techniques. I say drive reasonably and give up one tall (aka "small") Caramel Macchiato from Starbucks. You'd save the same amount.

~YR
YarisRevenge, your math has a BIG FLAW....you make the mistake of using the EPA 34/40....what you should have done was use real world, what most people get driving "normall"....which is more like 25/34, and not 34/40, so if you correct your math, then the savings is a hell of a lot more then $3/tank full, and this savings adds up over many many tank fulls. The actual savings is more like $7.50+ per tank full. Over a years time, you will save a lot of $$.

Did you go to college?!? BailOut is doing the right thing, and there is vertually NOTHING inherently dangereous about most hypermilling techniques.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:47 PM   #81
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Yeah, me, too. In the old days, radials got better mileage at high pressures (smaller contact patch), better traction at lower pressures (larger contact patch). I cannot assume that the logic of this has disappeared, but I have seen no major changes in tire technology that would challenge it. I used to dump my Michelins down to as low as 15lbs for heavy snow conditions, and went where no snow tire would go!

The smaller contact patch, however, generates less heat, so it is possible that lower pressure only benefits the tire companies. I also found that higher pressures had more sidewall stability ("creep"), and gave more precise steering.

But that's just my experience; I was running radials before they were even legal in some states!
Old 08-10-2007, 01:07 AM   #82
reznunt
Hi!

Drives: EF Sedan
damn 60 psi, it must feel like you're driving a damn tank to work.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:44 AM   #83
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
ok out of control, and not worth debating and fighting over AGAIN!!!... done