Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-07-2013, 07:43 PM   #1
mf4361

Drives: Yaris Sedan
Dead battery? (again)

I was trying to start my Yaris this afternoon and wouldn't start :(

At first, it sounded like battery is not have enough power to crank, then after a few tries when i turn the ignition, it gives some grinding noise (scary). Does that simply mean the battery is flat or is the grinding noise indicating something worse happened? The terminals does appear to have oxidation but no luck after cleaning.

Its not starting well since this winter and got worse after I stupidly overdischarge it. Sometimes after leaving it a day or two unused, it had trouble starting. (It would start if I hold the ignition a little longer, but this is the first time it actually didn't start)

Is Walmart's Everstart 26R a good choice? or I'll need a 35N? Or any recommendation?
mf4361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:21 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
A 26 has considerably less capacity than a 35, so I would stick with a 35 for your cold winters. People have had fit issues with Walmart's 35, so you might want to go elsewhere.

Is the grinding noise a fast clicky, grindy sound? If so, that is normal with a super low battery.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:45 PM   #3
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

Drives: Absolute Red 2009 Yaris HB
grinding on attempting to start sounds like starter to ring gear issues, bead dattery can be caused by parasitic drain inside the starter or else where, how many miles are on the car and how often is it driven?
mods:15''Drag DR21 w/Nitto NeoGen 205/50R15, Tanabe DF210 lowering springs 1.6/1.8, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Tanabe Front Sway Bar, Micro Image Short Throw Shift Kit (both in and under), 8.64lbs flywheel, F1 Stage 4 Clutch, AEM Cold Air Intake (Red), Megan Racing Header, DC Sports Axle Back Exhaust, Micro Image Crank Pulley, NST lite Alternator Pulley, ARP Manifold Stud Kit,Tanabe Front Strut Tower Brace, ScanGuage II, Micro Image Silicone Radiator Hose Kit (Red), NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob (round), 2009-2011 Toyota Yaris Liftback Foglight kit, NRG Grounding Kit (Red), Hella Horns(Red),CF Hood
Golddeenoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:59 PM   #4
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by mf4361 View Post
I was trying to start my Yaris this afternoon and wouldn't start :(

At first, it sounded like battery is not have enough power to crank, then after a few tries when i turn the ignition, it gives some grinding noise (scary). Does that simply mean the battery is flat or is the grinding noise indicating something worse happened? The terminals does appear to have oxidation but no luck after cleaning.

Its not starting well since this winter and got worse after I stupidly overdischarge it. Sometimes after leaving it a day or two unused, it had trouble starting. (It would start if I hold the ignition a little longer, but this is the first time it actually didn't start)

Is Walmart's Everstart 26R a good choice? or I'll need a 35N? Or any recommendation?
I have Walmart's Everstart 26R and it is okay, but I wouldn't get it again. The Sears Plus Start 26R I had before was better, but it is now quite a bit more expensive than it used to be (not a good value). I am one of the people CTScott was talking about who has had fitment issues with code/series 35 Walmart batteries (both in 2009 and 2012 --- the Maxx 35 in 2012 and a different Walmart 35 in 2009 -- both wouldn't fit--they clear the hood,but the clamp won't fit over them). I have a 2007 3-door liftback, so I don't know for sure what fitment issues you might have with a sedan. Later this year I'm going to get the NAPA 7535 that CTScott mentioned in an earlier post (I think I'm remembering the model number correctly?...anyway, the correct model number is on an earlier post by CTScott) because I want the increased reserve time it provides. The Walmart Everstart 26R is pretty low re Cold Cranking Amps (as are most if not all 26Rs). This isn't an issue for me in my climate, but it would probably be for you. 35 series = more Cold Cranking Amps. This is one reason (I assume) why CTScott is wisely suggesting a 35 series to you instead of a 26R.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:54 PM   #5
mf4361

Thanks all!
It is a fast clicky sound. So I'm a little relieved that's not gonna do permanent damage.

so the fitment issue reported for the Walmart 35 were all in liftback? As long as it clears the hood, the clamps can be changed, is that correct? I was thinking about the Maxx, not regular Everstart.

I tried to search on Sears Canada, that Plus Start battery does not exist :(

Btw, what is the OEM battery's cranking power? (or equivalent to size of aftermarket batteries)
Old 03-08-2013, 01:59 AM   #6
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
so the fitment issue reported for the Walmart 35 were all in liftback?
I don't know.
Quote:
As long as it clears the hood, the clamps can be changed, is that correct?
I think one person made their own clamp and another person modified and added to the tray to secure (rather than use a clamp that goes over the top). I don't think I would trust either of those methods as much as the OEM clamp. I think getting a 35 that allows for use of the OEM clamp is best.

Quote:
I was thinking about the Maxx, not regular Everstart.
You're right. I looked at the Walmart Canada site (and the NAPA Canada site
as well). Walmart doesn't appear to offer the regular Everstart 26R in Canada, only the MAXX. In my area, this is just the opposite (which would make sense, given the difference in the weather). The NAPA battery I was thinking about is the NAPA Legend 7535. I can't find that battery on the NAPA Canada site. Perhaps CTScott can advise if there is an equivalent on the NAPA Canada site. BTW, there is a NAPA store in Hamilton.

Quote:
I tried to search on Sears Canada, that Plus Start battery does not exist
Not surprising. Unless it had more CCAs than the ones here, it might not sell well.

Quote:
Btw, what is the OEM battery's cranking power? (or equivalent to size of aftermarket batteries)
I don't know. I tried looking it up online (I was curious myself), but I couldn't find the answer.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:30 AM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Thanks all!
It is a fast clicky sound. So I'm a little relieved that's not gonna do permanent damage.

so the fitment issue reported for the Walmart 35 were all in liftback? As long as it clears the hood, the clamps can be changed, is that correct? I was thinking about the Maxx, not regular Everstart.

I tried to search on Sears Canada, that Plus Start battery does not exist :(

I haven't seen a number for the OEM CCA. I look more at the capacity of the battery, of which the OEM is a 45 Ah battery.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:07 PM   #8
mf4361

Nevermind, I found on my OEM battery (still has original Toyota stickers) that its of Series 26R and CCA 540.

Its 2007 and it has 126000km on it so it makes lot of sense that it wouldn't survive some of the colder days (today isn't cold at all, but yesterday was snowing)

Edit: I just measured the battery tray. judging by dimensions given by walmart's website, looks like it's not going to take the Maxx 35N (Marginally too wide), height-wise looks like it will clear though.

Last edited by mf4361; 03-08-2013 at 05:42 PM.
Old 01-19-2016, 02:31 AM   #9
maui

Drives: 2008 Yaris hatchback in white
I got only 20k miles over 40 months on a Sears Die Hard Gold that cost $140.
Warranty for full replacement is 36 months and prorated up to 100 months.
It is 11.4 V and won't start the car, (40k miles total on car)

Will see tomorrow how good the "pro rated" story is... Any guess'?
maui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 12:34 AM   #10
maui

Drives: 2008 Yaris hatchback in white
Sears came through with a decent warranty coverage on the DieHard Gold battery that failed after 40 months. They now cost $149 but we originally paid $140.
For $60 they provided an exact replacement and their size 35 fits perfectly, no problem with the clamp like on other size 35 batteries including Interstate.
The advantage to this battery is that it has 625 CCA!
maui is offline   Reply With Quote