Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-10-2013, 04:43 PM   #1
GG007

Drives: 2007 yaris hatchback
Cool HOW TO? Replacing a broken antenna

Hi folks,
I'm helping my sister replace a broken antenna (base and stick) on her "new" used '07 yaris hatchback. I've spent much time Googling, searching for instructions.. no luck.

Best I could find so far is someone stating I need to drop the headliner but have found no instructions aside from the complete headliner removal in the service manual which appears to be much more than I need.

Can someone advise as to how to drop the headliner sufficiently enough to replace the antenna?

Thanks!
GG007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:17 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
You have to remove the rear mounting point for the center seatbelt. To do so you pop the cover off the piece that rotates and then remove the mounting bolt. Once you have done so, you can get your finger up above the headliner and pop the clips by pulling down gently on it. Don't yank it as you will crease the headliner. Unless you have small hands, you may find that you also need to remove the C pillar cover to get it down far enough to get a wrench on the nut that retains the antenna.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:32 PM   #3
GG007

Thanks CTScott! Much appreciated.

1. Is there a trick to pulling out the clips without breaking them?
2. with the above instructions, is it fairly simple to disconnect the old and connect the new antenna?
Old 10-10-2013, 05:57 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG007 View Post
Thanks CTScott! Much appreciated.

1. Is there a trick to pulling out the clips without breaking them?
2. with the above instructions, is it fairly simple to disconnect the old and connect the new antenna?
In my experience the trick is to get your fingers in around the middle and then work your way outwards until you get to the clips. Then, you you are pulling right at the clip, rather than a few inches away from it.

The antenna has two connectors. They plug in under the right side C pillar cover.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:04 PM   #5
GG007

Thanks again.
Does this mean I have to take a entire headliner out to connect my new antenna? (just to avoid confusion, the antenna is roof mounted)
Old 10-10-2013, 06:07 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Thanks again.
Does this mean I have to take a entire headliner out to connect my new antenna? (just to avoid confusion, the antenna is roof mounted)
No. You are pulling the back down far enough to get to the mounting point and then the cable snakes across the top of the headliner from there to the rear right C pillar of the car (the vertical section between the hatch and the rear right window).
Old 10-10-2013, 06:12 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Here's a picture that shows the antenna mounting nut and the direction that the antenna cable heads back in. The second picture shows the two connectors unplugged and hanging by the right rear seatbelt.

Antenna.jpg

antenna connectors.jpg
Old 10-10-2013, 09:07 PM   #8
GG007

Very helpful! Thank very much.
I'm picking up the antenna mount/stick from the wreckers.
So... looks like I will have to remove the C pillar cover in order to connect it, correct?
Thanks for your patience,
Old 10-10-2013, 09:57 PM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Very helpful! Thank very much.
I'm picking up the antenna mount/stick from the wreckers.
So... looks like I will have to remove the C pillar cover in order to connect it, correct?
Thanks for your patience,
That is correct. Until I looked at the picture I was thinking that the connections were higher up.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:59 PM   #10
GG007

Yikes!
Ok..so how do i remove this side panel?
Old 10-10-2013, 10:10 PM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Yikes!
Ok..so how do i remove this side panel?
That just pops off with the old fingers as well. You would be amazed as to how far you can disassemble a Yaris before reaching into the tool box.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:33 AM   #12
GG007

Thanks CTScott!
I feel much better now and ready to undertake the task. I'll report back.
Hopefully, I won't break any of those xmas-tree type clips :)
G
Old 10-14-2013, 05:33 PM   #13
GG007

Once again, a huge THANK YOU CTScott!
With your here we successfully replaced the antenna today. I removed both rear pillar covers to allow to drop the headliner a bit more. It was tricky not to crease the headliner but possible. Screwing the nut on the new antenna was the most difficult part.

TIP: to remove the xmas tree like clip, I used a fork, turned upside down. Insert it so the middle of the clip (stub) slides between the fork tines. Then use something hard (in my case, a pen) to put under the end of the times to protect the fabric (headliner)... then simply pull the handle of the fork down... clip will come out unscathed. :)

CTScott, you were a great help!
Cheers
Old 10-14-2013, 06:21 PM   #14
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Once again, a huge THANK YOU CTScott!
With your here we successfully replaced the antenna today. I removed both rear pillar covers to allow to drop the headliner a bit more. It was tricky not to crease the headliner but possible. Screwing the nut on the new antenna was the most difficult part.

TIP: to remove the xmas tree like clip, I used a fork, turned upside down. Insert it so the middle of the clip (stub) slides between the fork tines. Then use something hard (in my case, a pen) to put under the end of the times to protect the fabric (headliner)... then simply pull the handle of the fork down... clip will come out unscathed. :)

CTScott, you were a great help!
Cheers
Nice! Glad to hear that it was successful. The fork as a panel clip puller is a great idea and probably more maneuverable than one of the real tools.
Old 02-21-2015, 02:21 AM   #15
El Kapitan
Senior Veteran

Drives: 2007 5 door hatchback
CT Scott,

is there anywhere on this forum where you have posted some pics of your snowplow yaris? that is a yaris, right? i'd like to see what the interior looks like.
El Kapitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 07:37 PM   #16
blktiger60

Drives: `08 HB S
Angry

What a pain.
All I needed was to replace the stub. Oh sure, easy right? Um no.

The factory had cross-threaded the stub into the antenna base. Oh goody. I had to dismantle the base, then I had to cut the plastic shroud up the back with some dikes and a utility knife to get the base that the stub screws into. The stub base is knurled and heat welded into the shroud - this was stripped from me trying to get the stub off by unscrewing and the wire from the base electronics was broke off due to twisting. Got it out. Then I cut the rubber shroud off the stub to reveal a small wrench point at the bottom of the stub, covered previously by heavy rubber. A pair of vice grips and a small wrench later and that's when I discovered the issue. Too bad I didn't do it a couple months earlier. My extended warranty ran out in March. I would have had them put a new one on and reassemble my headliner.

Well at this point im going to repair it, rather than buy new. The new stub screws into the old base pretty smoothly now after some repeated screwing and un-screwing with WD40.

solder
flux
soldering wand

heat gun - to smooth out the shroud plastic

JB Weld

Should be good to go tommorow afternoon. I'll put some black vinyl doc on the outside of the shroud monday at work on lunch.

Update 3-4-18:
The old base failed last summer. I knew it wasn't going to last. Found a used one at a local wrecking yard, and it had an antenna on it so got that too for $20. Works great.

Last edited by blktiger60; 03-04-2018 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Update
blktiger60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 03:41 PM   #17
Wincharger

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Just got a replacement base and its single circular connection(raku 2?) is about 8 inches from the base, the one on the car is 2-3 feet and 2 plugs.

Just called dealer, they say it's $300!!!

Any suggestions?

Last edited by Wincharger; 06-11-2015 at 03:59 PM.
Wincharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 03:58 PM   #18
shepd

Drives: 2007 Yaris 5 door RS
blktiger, one of the best tools I ever bought was a tap and die set. Pick one up for next time and this sort of thing will be a breeze to fix. Also great for when you need to fit the proverbial square peg into the round hole.
shepd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, hatchback, headliner