Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-17-2017, 05:38 PM   #1
Stabicraft

Drives: 2008 BLACK YARIS
Driving light installation

Hi all;

Is there anyone who can help me with this small problem.

I have a 2008 Toyota Yaris, great car, but the headlights are less than adequate.
I live in Australia and with the combination of poor roads, suicidal kangaroos and the poor high beam, I find myself in need of more light.

I recently fitted two Narva driving lights, but I cant find a 12v feed for the relay from the high beam circuit.

The wiring diagram in the manual I have is les than useless.

And getting access to the stalk wiring requires a contortionist, which I am not.

So I tried the run a feed from the high beam wire direct at the headlight.

This is where the problems started.
It appears that the high beam wire (black wire) is 12 volt all the time, even with the car turned off and no headlights.

There are two other wires a blue one and a green one leading to the headlight globe.

They all read 12 volts when everything is turned off, and yet there is no power to the lights.

Its got me stumped

The headlights work fine, the high beam works fine, but when I hook the relay for the driving lights up the driving lights come on straight away
(when spliced into the black wire)

Has anyone hooked up driving lights that activate from high beam? (as is required by law)

If so, please help me as I really need to sort this out.

Thanking anyone in advance
Stabicraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 04:09 AM   #2
kevinj93

Drives: 2013 NCP130
If you have a meter, check the voltage at the the globe when the lheadlights are on. I think you will find the Yaris headlights operate by switching to ground rather than 12 volts.

You would need to run 12 volts to the relay coil, then switch it from the headlight connection being earthed. If your relay has the switched terminals separate from the coil, you could wire the coil across the common and high beam leads of the headlight.

Don't forget to also include a switch to alllow high beam to be used without the driving lights. Without this you will fail the annual rego check.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:34 PM   #3
Stabicraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinj93 View Post
If you have a meter, check the voltage at the the globe when the lheadlights are on. I think you will find the Yaris headlights operate by switching to ground rather than 12 volts.

You would need to run 12 volts to the relay coil, then switch it from the headlight connection being earthed. If your relay has the switched terminals separate from the coil, you could wire the coil across the common and high beam leads of the headlight.

Don't forget to also include a switch to alllow high beam to be used without the driving lights. Without this you will fail the annual rego check.
I have a meter, and I did check the feed from the plug by earthing the plug connections through the meter.
As you say its 12 volt constant.
What I didn't do (and I'm kicking myself) is check what happened when the lights were turned on.
Turns out, again as you say, when the lights are turned on the middle wire goes to earth, switching by allowing the current to travel to earth.

I don't have the car for a few days (the daughter is driving it), but when I get it again, Ill try the way you suggested, Ill get a 12 volt feed and route the relay back to the positive side of the high beam wire.
In theory, again as you say, it should allow the relay to earth thereby activating the driving lights relay to fire up.

I have a switch in line to facilitate independent isolation of the driving lights.
This is mandatory by law in Au.

Again thanks for your help, I should have been able to work this out myself, but after blowing the damn headlight fuse, twice, I needed to run it by someone more knowledgeable than myself in electrical (Yaris) circuitry.

Being a mechanical gingerbeer I have a basic understanding, but, to be honest, electrics can be somewhat befuddling (I can't see it working)

I will post again when I get it operational.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:41 AM   #4
kevinj93

I think you will find the middle wire is for low beam.

Looking at the back of the bulb with the centre pin on top, the left pin is common, the centre pin is low beam, and the right pin is high beam.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:28 AM   #5
Stabicraft

Quote:

Looking at the back of the bulb with the centre pin on top, the left pin is common, the centre pin is low beam, and the right pin is high beam.
Interesting.
The left and right wires are both positive
Or perhaps i checked wrong.

Ill retest when the car is around.
It may be a couple of day, the daughter uses the car until it gets low on fuel.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:35 PM   #6
Stabicraft

Quote:

Grabbed a globe last night.

It appears that you are correct (not that I doubted you)
I think Ill have the car tonight, Ill test the circuit using the following

Ill take a feed from the R/H wire, route it through the driving light on/off switch I have installed, then to the relay coil.

Ill take the other side of the relay coil to the L/H side of the headlight wiring.

Hopefully this will function.

Failing that.
Ill leave the R/H wire connected through the switch and take off a feed from the battery through the relay coil.

if that don't work.

Ill remove the driving lights and apply the methane solution. (pour methane over the car and set fire to the yaris) and go buy a car that has normal wiring (just joking)

If I cant get it going Ill probably take it to an auto electrician and let him puzzle over it.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:03 AM   #7
Stabicraft

Well, the daughter came around tonight.

In lessvthan 5 minutes I had her lights up and running

Thanks Kevin, I woukd have puzzled over this for hours without your help.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:31 PM   #8
kevinj93

Glad to be of help. Enjoy the extra light.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:19 PM   #9
Stabicraft

Quote:
Glad to be of help. Enjoy the extra light.
The daughter was wrapped.

She said it was like driving in daylight.

I'm wondering if/when Ill get my car back, probably never.
To be honest, I was planning to give it to her anyway.
I might, this weekend be out looking for another car.
Then Ill give her the Yaris.
Its a damn reliable and comfortable car.
I'm a big fella, and yet I still find it comfortably spacious.
Cheap to run, even if a little underpowered (1.3 litre)
But it still cruises on the freeway comfortably at 110 all day.

Servicing is a dream, with the exception of that damn oil filter which is always a nightmare to get orf.

It does tend to chew front tyres though.
Perhaps because I don't slow down for corners, why bother, the car don't mind it.

Thanks again.