Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Southeast
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-11-2010, 01:18 AM   #1
Lucas13

Drives: 07 Yaris LB
Gearbox leaking!

The leak started couples of weeks ago and its getting worse, the dealer already ordered a new gearbox, I was surprised when they told me that they will replace the entire transmission.
Attached Images

Lucas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 04:15 PM   #2
Lucas13

Anyone with the same or similar problem? The axle seal was replaced little time ago.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:54 PM   #3
Goose
Car Geek

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Yep, I had the same problem with the same outcome. Here's a link to my experience:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1961

'07 Blazing Blue 5-speed liftback (sold)
'08 Black auto liftback (sold)
'09 Carmine Red auto 4-door liftback (sold)
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:57 PM   #4
Lucas13

Thanks Kevin for the info,

I have sent the paperwork for arbitration, I’m crossing fingers to get a replacement, if I have to keep the yaris I will put new clutch to start fresh on that part!
Old 06-13-2010, 02:59 PM   #5
Goose
Car Geek

Arbitration? I'm afraid that I misunderstood your situation, Lucas. I assumed that, since the dealer had already ordered a new tranny, this repair was being covered by Toyota.

Is your car still under warranty (at least within the mileage limit)? If not, I don't want to get your hopes up unnecessarily. Toyota may pay for the replacement, but be prepared for other possibilities.

Good luck - and let us know what happens.

Old 06-13-2010, 05:30 PM   #6
Lucas13

My car still covered my warranty is about to expire, but I have a long record of problems with my car, since 4k I had lots problems with the seats, air bag, passengers weight sensor, suspension, water pump, axle seal leaking and know the input shaft seal, that totaled more than 90 days in the dealer for repairs so I decided to give it a shot and send the paper work for arbitration, I always want it to keep the car but this thing keeps getting messed up, the yaris could be a great car but I’m pretty sure I got that only one with problems.

I need to wait about a month to know what will happen in the mean time I need to keep adding oil, if they decide to give me another car I will be very happy if not I will make Toyota give me a new clutch at least, the new gearbox is sitting at the dealer, I’m just waiting for a final solution.

Let’s see what’s up!
Old 06-14-2010, 10:32 PM   #7
Goose
Car Geek

Sorry to hear about your car's problems.

For what it's worth, two of my three(!) Yaris liftbacks have required pretty serious repairs. The '07, as you already know, needed to have its transmission replaced @ 8,000 miles. The '08 had no problems. My current '09 had to have its main wiring loom replaced in order to solve an ABS warning light problem. Lately, my car's first gear is starting to sound odd after ~16K miles...

Despite needing these repairs, none of the problems caused the car to leave me stranded. All repairs were precautionary and were handled quickly and professionally by my dealer.

It sounds like your dealer is being reasonable and I hope that Toyota steps up and replaces the transmission for you.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:58 PM   #8
Lucas13

Okay I got my tranny and my entire clutch replaced by the warranty, toyota accepted to pay for clutch parts as courtesy,I was unable to win the arbitration case so this was the solution, I take it as a win win. the transimission feels a little bit hard I guess is because its new I bought my own synthetic gear oil for a fresh start and hoping this will lubricate better those seals.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:19 PM   #9
Lucas13

Grinding noise

It’s been couple of weeks since the dealer replaced my gearbox and I’m experiencing a grinding noise from the first gear, It sounds like a bad bearing, This gives me the feeling that the transmissions that they replace are rebuilt probably in a facility and leave them like "new" today one of the techs at the dealer test drove the car an acknowledged the noise, I need to take it in next week so the master technician can look at it, this sounds like another tranny will be under my hood. I can’t believe that this is happening to my car Toyota really sucks!
Old 08-20-2010, 06:43 PM   #10
yarrr
Banned

Drives: 07 sedan
Don't most people leave oil/transmission fluid stock for the first change, as synthetics are too slippery for break in periods? Did you do the same thing to the first transmission? Did the dealer fill it with your fluid? Did you drain and fill the fluid they used?

And continue to ignore the 99.x% of users reporting on this site that they have no problems with their yaris for 100s of thousands of miles. Damn toyota and their shoddy craftsmanship.
yarrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:31 PM   #11
Lucas13

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrr View Post
Don't most people leave oil/transmission fluid stock for the first change, as synthetics are too slippery for break in periods? Did you do the same thing to the first transmission? Did the dealer fill it with your fluid? Did you drain and fill the fluid they used?

And continue to ignore the 99.x% of users reporting on this site that they have no problems with their yaris for 100s of thousands of miles. Damn toyota and their shoddy craftsmanship.
Well let me tell you,
The brand "new" tranny ran about 400 miles with the cheap stuff from the dealer and then I replaced it with Mobil 1 synthetic, the grinding noise on 1st was there since the first day it was installed as matter fact the synthetic helped a little bit, the first thing I thought it was because is a new tranny and probably needed to brake in but the noise its getting louder and louder so most likely there is a craftsmanship problem with this gearbox.

On the other hand with my previous tranny I never replaced the gear oil it used the factory fluid until the whole thing was replaced with 59k

There might be hundreds of thousands of yaris with hundreds of thousands of miles BUT there are a whole bunch of them with faulty parts like mine, I wished that my experience with this car was different but unfortunately that did not happen.

I owned a TC on 2005 and it came out pretty good, other old Toyotas in the family have been great but my yaris like many others don’t stand out for good quality.

Last edited by Lucas13; 08-21-2010 at 12:04 AM.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:56 PM   #12
vwtech
Banned

Drives: 09 jetta tdi dsg
just had to basicly tear my entire transmissin apart to put in the input shaft seal they put in from the inside of the transmission. I used a napa seal because the toyota seal is obviously junk and I also used and aftermarket sachs clutch which is AWESOME been about 500 miles and no leaks at all and the cluctch grips and feels so nice.
vwtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:50 AM   #13
Lucas13

Good Job! I'm sure was a lot of work! but Its going to last more than the original seal, and the clutch its a good idea too, I have a new clutch but the OEM Toyota gave me a new a courtesy but still tricky, I'm kind off used to it!