Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-21-2010, 01:44 PM   #1
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Front Licence Plate

Just relocated to California and I'll soon have to re-register my car and install a front licence plate.

Is there a licence plate bracket available for the front bumper? Actually, I would prefer not to drill holes in my front bumper... so has anybody installed a front plate with a custom bracket that attaches under the front bumper?
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:59 PM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Garm apparently has a tow hook plate mount coming in soon. Only works if you happen to like the off-set plate look.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:13 PM   #3
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Otherwise, usually the dealers in states that require front plates puts them on before you even realize they are using self tapping screws on your front bumper.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:44 PM   #4
47_MasoN_47
What I thought I'd do was

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
Otherwise, usually the dealers in states that require front plates puts them on before you even realize they are using self tapping screws on your front bumper.
...boo

I learn more stupid laws about CA every day lol.

My Nissan Hardbody (D21) 4x4 build log
Check out my YouTube channel (mostly shooting) - http://www.youtube.com/user/47MasoN47
47_MasoN_47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:47 AM   #5
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
kimona, there are a lot of cars that dont use a front license plate on their cars.

You could always take two zipties and tie it to the lower bottom grill? Thats what I would do in your shoes.

Welcome to California. I hope we have a huge gathering and meet you.
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:35 PM   #6
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47_MasoN_47 View Post
...boo

I learn more stupid laws about CA every day lol.
I live in Mass, when I worked at the toyota dealership, it was part of pre-delivery of new cars.

If the customer didn't like it, there really wasn't anything they could do except not take delivery.

I've never seen anything besides Garm's tow hook mount to mount the front plate without screwing it into the bumper.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:42 PM   #7
Brian

Drives: '07 Yaris turbo, '11 Juke
You could try some double sided tape
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:28 PM   #8
chrisj
Hooch Brewer-Shine Sipper

Drives: 2009 5-dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
You could try some double sided tape
I like the 3M tape idea. I am wanting something like a European-size personalized plate for the front of mine, and that's how I'd do it.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:05 PM   #9
sleey0

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
If you buy the 3M body / side moulding tape it will hold. Just use a lot of it (stuff rocks and is very sticky).

I bought my car used in NY and I live in PA where we don't have front plates. I have holes in mine and it sucks.

Not much I can do unless I want to use some bondo and get the whole bumper painted:(
sleey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:50 PM   #10
YariSCAL

Drives: 08 S 3DLB 068
I've been driving my HB in San Diego since March of '08 with no front plate (not that you should). Not sure, but I believe it's a fix-it ticket if your sighted. Trick is not to get pulled over for something else.
YariSCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:22 AM   #11
BluYrs
ヴィッツ ドライバー

Drives: 2006 3d 1.0 Linea Sol
Dunno if the US bumper is shaped differently, but this is what happened to my Euro-Yaris...

I tried to 3M-tape my front licence plate (did it with the rear one), but the bumper is too curved in the middle to securely tape the number on. Either the sides of the plate were in the air or I'd have had to fold the plate in the middle. Didn't like those options, so I just kept my plate bracket.

If you don't want to swiss-cheese your bumper, go for the zip-tie setup on the lower grille. In California weather, I'd just make sure there is enough room for air to pass through to the radiator (maybe place the plate slanted on the lower body-coloured bit of the bumper?).

The blue one
BluYrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:36 AM   #12
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
I threw my front plate up on the dash on the passengers side. The law for NJ states the plate must be clear and have no lettering concealed, which it doesnt. The other part of the law is that the plate is 10-48 inches above the ground, and the dash is 40 inches above the ground. Nowhere does it say it needs to be mounted on the front of the car.

I'm sure some ass of a cop on a power trip will end up ruining it, but until then I'll enjoy the cleaner look.
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:14 PM   #13
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
^ Illegal in Ohio to do that. Not sure exactly what the law states, but I've been pulled over for it.
33OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:59 PM   #14
Qmobile
that's right I went there

Drives: '08 Blazin' Blue,'10 Dark Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33OH View Post
^ Illegal in Ohio to do that. Not sure exactly what the law states, but I've been pulled over for it.
that's kinda funny actually I've been running without a front plate for 2-3 months now...no problems. Course a lot of (ohio) people run this way too, and I'm close to the MI border maybe that's why I think it's more of a if they pull you over for something else kinda thing. I don't belive there is a law. Plus technically if you don't have a holder/bracket there should be no problems

suggestions always welcome
Qmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:36 PM   #15
33OH

I used to run around without a front plate, and I got pulled over for that. So then I put it in my windshield, got pulled over for that.. So now it's on the car. =)

After I hit the deer in November '08, they drilled holes in my new front bumper at the body shop anyway..
Old 09-23-2010, 02:35 PM   #16
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Unless you have dedicated show car, what's the big deal about having a front license plate?
If the law says you have to have one, you need one......case closed.

Mouting it off center or in some other esoteric location offends my personal sense of design.
A center location looks best IMO and the stock location is as good as any.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:09 PM   #17
33OH

The big deal comes with drilling two unsightly holes into your new car's front bumper. :)
Old 09-23-2010, 03:19 PM   #18
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33OH View Post
The big deal comes with drilling two unsightly holes into your new car's front bumper. :)
Yeah, but, the holes will be coved by a license plate that is mandated by
law.
What is the problem?

It's like not installing a carpet because you do not the looks of a couple of small imperfections in the floor the carpet will cover.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote