Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Photo-Video-Media Gallery
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-23-2017, 10:57 AM   #109
heeroyuy01195
Post count means nothing.

Drives: AW11, NCP91, Old Motorcycles
Aww shucks nobody liked the air filter look on their car :( lol

There's tons of different weave patterns for composites for various applications. Each has a strength and weakness. When I was making the hull for my engineering project many moons ago when I was still in college, we stuck with what was cheap vs. what was actually good for our application due to budgets. Would have been nice to play with some basalt fiber on that project.
heeroyuy01195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 12:31 PM   #110
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeroyuy01195 View Post
Aww shucks nobody liked the air filter look on their car :( lol

There's tons of different weave patterns for composites for various applications. Each has a strength and weakness. When I was making the hull for my engineering project many moons ago when I was still in college, we stuck with what was cheap vs. what was actually good for our application due to budgets. Would have been nice to play with some basalt fiber on that project.
Don't get me wrong, I can totally see a hydrodip in that pattern. Maybe a valve cover done in that style. It's definitely a personal preference thing, so no right or wrong answer, or disrespect intended.

I would absolutely rock a wrap in that color and pattern over some of the wraps I've seen out there

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 04:31 PM   #111
heeroyuy01195

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Don't get me wrong, I can totally see a hydrodip in that pattern. Maybe a valve cover done in that style. It's definitely a personal preference thing, so no right or wrong answer, or disrespect intended.

I would absolutely rock a wrap in that color and pattern over some of the wraps I've seen out there
No offence taken, I personally wouldn't wrap my whole car in that pattern but I would do a valve cover or something like you said lol. Maybe if it was a drift car where crazy/ridiculous, over the top stuff is common...
Old 06-23-2017, 09:30 PM   #112
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Yup lots of weaves, but I have only seen the simple weaves for the automotive world.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:06 AM   #113
scratchpaddy
Hubcap Enthusiast

Drives: '09 3-door 5-speed
Well, carbon fiber body panels replace metal that's slightly stronger than aluminum foil, so it doesn't have to be all that strong.
scratchpaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 03:08 PM   #114
heeroyuy01195

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchpaddy View Post
Well, carbon fiber body panels replace metal that's slightly stronger than aluminum foil, so it doesn't have to be all that strong.
So true!
Old 07-06-2017, 01:08 AM   #115
Kaotic Lazagna

New head unit is in. Really good one with a lot of features for it's price point. I would have also had the Bazooka basstube (100w) in as well if Bazooka didn't forget to put in the FAST-9999 harness that was supposed to come with it.

Last edited by Kaotic Lazagna; 09-29-2018 at 07:41 PM.
Old 07-06-2017, 02:43 AM   #116
bradbowl
Hatchbacks for the win

Drives: Hatchbacks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
New head unit is in. Really good one with a lot of features for it's price point. I would have also had the Bazooka basstube (100w) in as well if Bazooka didn't forget to put in the FAST-9999 harness that was supposed to come with it.
Wow, I love all the work you've done and I absolutely love the Blazing Blue! I'm going to follow this thread and may ask you for some tips when I finally find a Yaris similar to yours. :) I've been looking for a Yaris like this for awhile now in Hawaii and actually flew to the Bay Area to buy one at a dealership to ship back home, but it didn't work out.

Awesome job!
bradbowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 09:00 AM   #117
heeroyuy01195

Quote:
Looking good! I had an 80w tube in mine that mysteriously started blowing fuses. Curious to see how the 100w does in the little hatch. Keep us posted!
Old 07-06-2017, 11:23 AM   #118
ern-diz

Android head unit, very nice.

On Wheelwell
Old 07-06-2017, 12:53 PM   #119
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradbowl View Post
Wow, I love all the work you've done and I absolutely love the Blazing Blue! I'm going to follow this thread and may ask you for some tips when I finally find a Yaris similar to yours. :) I've been looking for a Yaris like this for awhile now in Hawaii and actually flew to the Bay Area to buy one at a dealership to ship back home, but it didn't work out.

Awesome job!
Thanks! A blazing blue hatchback was what I originally wanted when I got my first Yaris and intended on getting one new back in 2006. Went into a dealership and saw a flint mica Yaris sedan, and took it home. lol.

So it's funny that after spending over 6 months looking for a good used Yaris, that it's the one that I found. I drove all the way down to SoCal to get her.

As long as you don't finance it, you should be able to ship back a car to Hawaii. Check SoCal's craigslist as well, never know, might find one like I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heeroyuy01195 View Post
Looking good! I had an 80w tube in mine that mysteriously started blowing fuses. Curious to see how the 100w does in the little hatch. Keep us posted!
Will do. I have a 50w one in the FR-S that's thumping along. This 100w one should be fine as well since I won't have to turn up the gains as much. I'll set a LPF crossover on it as well (can't remember if it already has one).

Quote:
Android head unit, very nice.
Doesn't do Android auto, but that wasn't a requirement for me anyway. It says it can control an Android phone, but I really don't know what the difference is.
Old 07-06-2017, 01:46 PM   #120
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Nice install on the Kenwood. Looks good and fits perfectly.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 02:20 PM   #121
bradbowl
Hatchbacks for the win

Quote:
Thanks! A blazing blue hatchback was what I originally wanted when I got my first Yaris and intended on getting one new back in 2006. Went into a dealership and saw a flint mica Yaris sedan, and took it home. lol.
So clearly we were separated at birth! I pre-ordered a Blazing Blue hatchback with a six week wait time, but a Bayou Blue hatchback came in a couple weeks later, so I brought that one home instead. The impetuousness of youth.

Now that I'm 10 years wiser, that Blazing Blue hatchback will finally be mine someday. The long search will make it even sweeter!
Old 07-06-2017, 06:21 PM   #122
ern-diz

Quote:
Doesn't do Android auto, but that wasn't a requirement for me anyway. It says it can control an Android phone, but I really don't know what the difference is.
Yeah, that wouldn't matter to me either. As long as I can pair my phone and run my apps from the radio, I wouldn't care that it wasn't native to the radio. If there are any benefits to android auto running native on the radio, aside from not having to sync your phone to it, I'm unaware of them.

On Wheelwell
Old 07-07-2017, 02:07 AM   #123
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
Nice install on the Kenwood. Looks good and fits perfectly.
There's a slight gap at the top and bottom of the HU, but not enough to make me go crazy. lol.

Quote:
Yeah, that wouldn't matter to me either. As long as I can pair my phone and run my apps from the radio, I wouldn't care that it wasn't native to the radio. If there are any benefits to android auto running native on the radio, aside from not having to sync your phone to it, I'm unaware of them.
Yeah, then no use for me either.

Quote:
So clearly we were separated at birth! I pre-ordered a Blazing Blue hatchback with a six week wait time, but a Bayou Blue hatchback came in a couple weeks later, so I brought that one home instead. The impetuousness of youth.

Now that I'm 10 years wiser, that Blazing Blue hatchback will finally be mine someday. The long search will make it even sweeter!
lol, keep searching and you'll find a gem out there.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:08 AM   #124
Kaotic Lazagna

Dory's miles will increase considerably as my commute has gone from 30 miles to 60 miles each way.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:40 AM   #125
bradbowl
Hatchbacks for the win

Quote:
Dory's miles will increase considerably as my commute has gone from 30 miles to 60 miles each way.
You'll be well on our way to seeing hitting the 100,000 mile club in no time! :)

Seriously though, a 60 mile commute doesn't sound awesome. That'll mean less time to work on Dory. :(
Old 07-07-2017, 02:53 AM   #126
zoidberg444

Drives: Yaris 06 - 5dr hatchback
Quote:
You'll be well on our way to seeing hitting the 100,000 mile club in no time! :)

Seriously though, a 60 mile commute doesn't sound awesome. That'll mean less time to work on Dory. :(
Poor Dory. 😣

I'm putting 86 miles a day on mine. Until 3 months ago i was doing 100-200 miles a day.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk