Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-05-2009, 03:58 PM   #1
ibramshas

Drives: YARIS Y
Question LEFT HAND DRIVE SHAFT GREASE LEAKAGE

Dear forum,
I have 2009 Yaris sedan manual gear.My service is now 20,000 km.I was notified in invoice stating LH drive shaft leakage.what it means?Should it cover under warranty?what should i change ?is this problem is very urgent to repair.will i get under warranty?Please need your response
ibramshas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 04:24 PM   #2
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
It should definitely be covered under warranty, and I wouldn't drive the car until its repaired
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 08:47 PM   #3
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Sounds like the boots on the axles are leaking grease. If the boots are torn open yes have it fixed. You will destroy the axle if you keep driving. (kind of suprised they didnt take care of it right away) Depends what they mean by leak though. Take a picture and post it for us to see...
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 04:29 AM   #4
ibramshas

INVOICE FROM SERVICE CENTER.pdf

Dear Bronsin,
Thanks for your Email.Please see attached invoice from the service center after oil change and mentioning the Note :
LH Drive shaft LeakageI am not sure whether it is grease leakage .On 05-sep-09 i had a look on the drive shaft but it was covered with dust cover and nothing seems to be leaking but kindly let me khow how to resolve it? On 03-sep-09 i was notified.I am planning to go today to Service for enquiry .But on 03-sep-09 ,i asked engineer & he said they need max 3 days for inspection ,approval and replacement.Hence i am planning to leave my vehicle for inspection on 10-sep-09 (thursday) because i cannot go office without my vehicle now.what do you say.Please give me a good suggession.
Old 09-06-2009, 06:40 AM   #5
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Sounds like you received a service advisory from either Toyota or your dealer,drop by your dealer with the letter and have them explain it to you.Do not try to fix anything yourself as an 09 Toyota should be under warranty and you wont have to pay anything for this service concerning potential loss of grease.
Welcome to the forum ibramshas
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 07:11 AM   #6
ibramshas

Dear Jambo,
Thanks for your advice.SO I am going today to our dealer for more explaination with letter.and i will get back to you .
Old 09-06-2009, 08:06 AM   #7
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibramshas View Post
Attachment 27928

Dear Bronsin,
Thanks for your Email.Please see attached invoice from the service center after oil change and mentioning the Note :
LH Drive shaft LeakageI am not sure whether it is grease leakage .On 05-sep-09 i had a look on the drive shaft but it was covered with dust cover and nothing seems to be leaking but kindly let me khow how to resolve it? On 03-sep-09 i was notified.I am planning to go today to Service for enquiry .But on 03-sep-09 ,i asked engineer & he said they need max 3 days for inspection ,approval and replacement.Hence i am planning to leave my vehicle for inspection on 10-sep-09 (thursday) because i cannot go office without my vehicle now.what do you say.Please give me a good suggession.
If at all possible take a picture of the LH axle and post it here so we can see it. I myself do not trust anyone to inspect/repair my vehicle. Maybe they are right maybe not. Frankly in my experience they cant be trusted!
Old 09-06-2009, 09:20 AM   #8
ibramshas

Dear Bronsin,

I am not expert in doing repair .I always trust only Toyota AUTHORISED Dealer -Company Name :Abdul LATEEF JAMIL & co.

When i had a look on the LH shaft there is no leakage also the boot was covered with dust cover.
Can i drive with this problem or not ?

if it is major problem ,then Dealer would have informed to repair immediately ?
Old 09-06-2009, 11:28 AM   #9
bronsin

Going by what you have told me (which has its limitations) I do not think there is a problem here. If the boot is not torn open or cracked and there is no oil leaking from the transmission I think the car is good to go. Here in the US the dealers are forever making a mountain out of a mole hill. I suspect that is the case here also. I would keep an eye on the problem. I would also get a digital camera and take a picture of the axle and post it here so we can advise you. Maybe you have a friend/relative who has one?
I think you are right if there was a real problem the dealer would have fixed it on the spot.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:13 PM   #10
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Its probally just mild seepage from the dust boot not torn or cracked at this low milage yet. But i would still see if you can get it covered under warrenty. Its probally giong to take over a year before the axle will fail since its not even torn yet and leaking a lot. But still you will be out of warrenty by that time.

If the axle fails it may lock up or snap. Meaning the car wont be able to turn. The boot seals in the grease as well as mosture and outside contaminants. Once it breaks there begins a slow process of deteriation of the inner bearings till the lack of lubrication causes friction and heat till the axle fails.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 03:23 PM   #11
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Its probably just a potential problem that may affect a few cars not an actual problem on your car,their normal fix is to call in all the cars and effect the upgrade/repair
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 03:37 PM   #12
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
the invoice says tech notes: LH drive shaft leaking.

so Yes, just take it to the dealer and tell them to fix it under warrantee, you wont have to pay anything.