Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-19-2018, 05:48 PM   #91
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadowFox View Post
. also you get to go to 5x100 which allows bigger and better things :D
It's not required to go to 5x100 w/ the 2zr swap and really is completely separate from the swap. Afaik no one who has done the swap has often to spend extra for 5x100, I personally didn't see a reason to worth the money

I agree it is a worthwhile swap though
Old 05-23-2018, 10:58 AM   #92
atomic_hoji

Drives: 2018 Yaris SE 5MT
^^^ +1 Not sure I've seen anyone mention a 5-lug conversion when doing the 2ZR swap; or I've missed something critical.. lol

Good to see the work on the car and that you're setup is shaking down well for you! Hopefully we'll catch up at a track day this summer.

Interesting note about the fire extinguisher - I've always bought ABCs out of habit; generally to use around the house. Good to keep in mind for a dedicated extinguisher in the car.

-- Adam
atomic_hoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 02:40 AM   #93
Dliverance

Drives: 2012 Black sand pearl <3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
It's not required to go to 5x100 w/ the 2zr swap and really is completely separate from the swap. Afaik no one who has done the swap has often to spend extra for 5x100, I personally didn't see a reason to worth the money

I agree it is a worthwhile swap though
I’m not a fan of 5x100 either. Coming from a long history of Subaru’s and celica’s, the only decent wheels I ever found in 5x100 were a set of rota grid v in 17x8.

Last edited by Dliverance; 06-12-2018 at 09:50 PM.
Dliverance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:33 AM   #94
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
5x100 would make it tough to find 15" wheels. 16" might be ok...but you'd likely end up with OEM matrix or vibe wheels!

4x100 is so much easier to find wheels in 15"
Old 06-12-2018, 05:00 PM   #95
DarkShadowFox
Banned

Drives: 2015 Yaris LE 3door 1F7
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarber View Post
5x100 would make it tough to find 15" wheels. 16" might be ok...but you'd likely end up with OEM matrix or vibe wheels!

4x100 is so much easier to find wheels in 15"
just use corolla wheels, FRS BRZ rims... subaru wheels.
DarkShadowFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 05:06 PM   #96
Runethecursed

Drives: 2009 Yaris S
Subaru impreza pre 2009 where all 5x100. all the way back to i think 1996? whatever the first years of the Impreza GC/GM chassis was
Runethecursed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 12:45 PM   #97
tmontague

Track day crash

Another update after some track days.

a few weeks ago after my first 45min session I noticed my coolant reservoir was almost empty. It was a hot day (ambient temps around 90F) and there was dry coolant on the bottom of my engine splash guard. I figured I had a leak. No leaks seen so I topped it up with water and kept going. It would drop a bit each session but was not leaking out of anywhere and it wasn't being burnt through the exhaust.

I put a new rad cap on when I got home and checked it every day the next week. The coolant never dropped an ounce. Long story short, my rad cap likely wasn't holding pressure which caused it to boil slightly and spill out of the reservoir. The next track day I had no coolant loss and it was almost just as warm. The coolant temps tend to hit max 212F and typically stay between 195 and 204F during hard lapping (oil temps peak at 260F)

On my last track day I worked on braking zones. I had a fellow YW member (Brian sp?) drive around with me during some hot laps and he commented that I could brake much later (which was true). I had focused a lot on turn in's apexes and car control using throttle and brake. I felt like I had that down and wasn't making up any more time so braking zones it was.

First off it is scary as shit as your brain is basically yelling at your to brake and you are holding off until last minute. I got to the point where I'd brake late enough that let me scrub off as much speed as possible just to make the corner. Problem is at these limits there is very little room for error. Miss or slip off the brake pedal during heal toe shifts and you are done.

That is exactly what happened. After 3, 45 mins session and over 100km around the track, I had shaved 3 seconds off of my PB. I am now down to a 1:30:32. This is a relatively quick time, especially for the car I am in. On my 3rd session I was actually on par to beat that time but kept running into other people on the track and having to slow down. At those track times I was one of the faster cars that day. This was all due to braking later.

I felt I was getting tired so I was only going to go out for a 4th and last session - it's amazing how tiring it is when you drive the car 10/10ths and brake late, compared to going 8/10ths and having room for error. On the 4th last when the tires were hot I was heading into turn 2. This is a 90 degree corner that follows a straightaway that I hit about 145km/h on. To make the turn on my r compound tires I need to scrub my speed down to about 95km/h. I hit my brake zone and slammed on the brakes, at the same time heel toe'd down into 3rd (I have a reduced final drive) which is an aggressive heel to as I have to get the revs up to redline so as to not upset the balance of the car.

As I heel toed, I slipped off the brake and all of the weight of the car lifted. I was only down to about 125-130 km/h. At this point I couldn't get back on the brakes as I would have sent myself into a spin since I now had to turn in. So I just rode out the corner and kept the car as balanced as possible. During the corner the car slide off to the outside and into a field pretty hard. The issue was a 1' ditch right off the track before the field. I thought I was going to flip once I hit the ditch, but luckily the car was low enough that it just hit violently, made a big cloud of dust and spun once in the field before coming to a stop.

I limped back to the paddock and called it a day. I swapped out my tires to head home and checked for damage. Front left wheel was loose (not the lug nuts) and both rear wheels were loose. I thought I had blown 3 wheel bearings. Inspected it when I got home and turns out the front axle nut worked itself very loose (it was torqued to spec at 160 ft/lbs). I re tightened both axle nuts to 170 ft/lbs and the bearing tightened up.

There rear bearings were both shot, but the left was much worse, it made the car feel very twitchy and all over the place. The rear bearings I had on were premium Moog bearing with less than 14 months on them. It was likely the crash that turned them it though so I cannot comment on quality. I decided to replace them with mid grade bearings with only a 12 months warranty. So far so good we'll see how long they last.

Cars is back to being fully operational, I have a track day next Friday and the plan it to get my lap times down to a sub 1:30. Getting into the 1:29's would be awesome in a streets legal Yaris. Bottom line - don't miss the pedal! and dont head out for another session when you are fatigued!
Old 06-30-2018, 03:41 PM   #98
atomic_hoji

Drives: 2018 Yaris SE 5MT

Glad to hear you're making progress with your driver skills, that's awesome! Not so awesome the car took some damage, but sounds like overall she needed a few parts and is back up to par, so that's good. Sounds like it could have been way worse - always the ditch diving that does the damage.. lol

Do you run a dashcam? Would be interesting to see your laps and the big slide (knowing it turns out ok.. ).

-- Adam
atomic_hoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 09:14 PM   #99
tmontague

I do have a dashcam which initially was strictly for insurance/accident purposes. That said, there is no reason I can't pull footage from it during track days. I honestly have never done so before as I fortunately have not been hit so I have had no reason.

I think I'll get a micro sd adapter and play around with it and see if I can pull footage of the crash. It would be good to review my laps
Old 07-02-2018, 11:26 AM   #100
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic_hoji View Post

Glad to hear you're making progress with your driver skills, that's awesome! Not so awesome the car took some damage, but sounds like overall she needed a few parts and is back up to par, so that's good. Sounds like it could have been way worse - always the ditch diving that does the damage.. lol

Do you run a dashcam? Would be interesting to see your laps and the big slide (knowing it turns out ok.. ).

-- Adam
+1 on all points. Glad it wasn't worse and it would be cool to see lap footage (not for off's specifically lol but it would be interesting).

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 06:10 AM   #101
tmontague

Finally got around to pulling the video. All other tack footage was overwritten, the dash cam was awesome enough to save the crash due to detecting g forces. Glad to know that that feature works.

The crash doesn't look too bad as they typically don't. The ditch is about a foot deep and then there is a grassy field, the impact on the ditch was the issue which led to the wheel bearings going. I hit the ditch at about 125-130 km/h. The car stayed even during the turn due to its good balancing and me controlling the car but due to the speed I ran out of room on the track.

In the future I'll save and upload some track footage of some fast laps

https://youtu.be/35QL-BB3k3E
Old 07-14-2018, 02:50 PM   #102
tmontague

Most recent track day

Here is the link to 1 or 2 laps yesterday at TMP. I wasn't driving 10/10ths like last session. The off course crash last time shook me up a bit since I have a family at home. I ran 8-9/10ths mostly and just focused on looking where I wanted to go rather than where I am. I also braked a bit earlier than last time as I wasn't in the mood to push it to the limit.

https://youtu.be/gBvKvykTxtU

I ended up doing a couple laps on my street tires which are 340 tw BFG G-force sport comp 2's. I only did 4 laps or so as \i didn't want to wear them out but I wanted to test them at their limits. I ended up being only 3 seconds slower then my other laps that day and I wasn't even pushing them very hard. It is amazing how much better the turn in was and they actually give you feedback on what the car is doing. Needless to say mr R1's are heat cycled out and aren't really much faster than a street tire.

This now makes a lot of sense as I'm following cars on less sticky tires that are able to corner faster than me and I felt that I am no longer able to hold speeds in corners I used to be despite being a better smoother driver now than before. The car also felt very unstable on high speed corners almost as if the rear would swing out at any moment with no warning. This is a known problem with the R1's but it's worse now than ever before.

I'll use them the rest of the season and save up to buy some new rubber for next season. I'll just focus on my driving skill for now so that next season I should have no problem doing a sub 1:30 with new rubber. I always felt like the tires should hold higher speeds on some of the corners so this is starting to make a lot of sense now.

I also desperately need a racing seat for next season, due to my faster cornering I am using my left leg to hold myself in my seat by forcing it against the door. This is making me lose focus on driving and leading to a chaffed and sore left leg!

I am now able to take certain corners without having to brake whereas before I would brake to scrub off speed. I am definitely improving but like I mentioned, the tires seems to now really be falling off quickly and are now holding me back.

The ambient temps yesterday evening were around 34 C and I recorded the hottest ever coolant and oil temps at 222 and 280 respectively. The dropped down a bit once the sun dropped down but those numbers were at their peak on one of the hottest sessions.

Oil pressures read fine at around 60 psi so it wasn't a concern, but interesting to see how high they got. I'll run a UOA on the oil once it gets to the end of its life.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:16 PM   #103
Ronnie V

Drives: 04 3dr HB and 04 5dr RS
This thread is a fun read Trev. Well done on all accounts. :) Even the "crash"......without the occasional trip past our limits it is tough to stay interested in track daying IMO.

On the subject of lap times I was chatting with another Echo HB owner last weekend at the autocross as the Hershey Center. He says his PB at TMP in a Stock drivetrain Echo is a 1.27.xx This was unreal to me.......I never timed my Echo last year without the SC but 1.27 sounds off the hook fast.........Daniel is no doubt a very good driver. His car has some decent suspension and weighs in at about 2100lbs with him in it.

So this has prompted me to get my lapcounter up and running. I obviously want to be a fair bit quicker than a 1.27..........watching your 1.30ish laps this seems unlikely but I guess I should have a goal. ;)

I'll be out with my friends on Friday June 27th for the evening session.......weather permitting.

All the best,
Ron
Ronnie V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 09:47 PM   #104
tmontague

1:27 seems insane on a stock drive train Echo. I won't say impossible as I've sen some excellent drivers run ridiculously fast times in bone stock Miata's, but a 1:27 is something I'd want to witness before I fully believe it. I have been recommended harry's lap timer and it was definitely worth the $10 one time fee to get it on my phone. Definitely get your lap timer out and see where you're at.

Based on how much more stable and confident my car felt on my street tires made me really realize how far gone my slicks are. I would be happy with lap times below 1:30 but I think a 1:27 would be possible on my car with proper tires. I'll know for sure next season when I'm on new rubber but for now I'll have to see what I can do with the tires I have.

As a side note, what are people running for brake pads? I think I have found the limits of these Hawk HPS now that I am braking much later as they no longer have much bite to them and they glaze my rotors like crazy. They will still stop the car without fading but they have little initial bite which isn't very confidence inspiring

I'll book the 27th session and hope to meet you out there again. It's more fun seeing familiar faces out there and last Friday it was a sh*t show with how busy it was and how many overseas young kids there were in their +$150k cars parking anywhere and blocking people in...one of the reasons I wasn't in the mood to push it too hard.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:38 PM   #105
Runethecursed

Drives: 2009 Yaris S
I am using EBC yellow stuff. alot more dust, alot more noise. they are hard as bricks cold. but heat cycled they stop good every time and our cars dont really push them to overheat.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:51 AM   #106
Ronnie V

Drives: 04 3dr HB and 04 5dr RS
On the subject of brake pads I just got a set of Hawk Blues. Everything I have read says do not use them on the street as they will wear out rotors very very quickly........

Given how easy it is to swap brake pads on my car I am just going to put them in for track days.......the trip there and back shouldn't do too much damage and rotors are cheap anyways.

I bet they stop the car on a dime.......we will see on the 27th.
Ronnie V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:04 PM   #107
tmontague

Too bad they cannot be found online anywhere for mkII cars. I'll definitely need to find a track specific pad for next year
Old 07-28-2018, 03:13 PM   #108
tmontague

Another track day...learned some new things

Was out at TMP last night and had my confidence back. Due to some hot temps a few weeks ago I decided to modify my hood a little, function>form, not the prettiest but better than I thought for a rushed job

Ambient temps were a bit cooler last night than the session before but all in all it seems that the coolant temps were down 5-10 degrees and oil temps didn't go above 260. It seems to have worked bu relieving some of the high pressure behind the radiator which restricts the airflow going in during high speed.

My old Hawk HPS pads were getting low after 700 or so track km's on them and a bunch of DDing so I lightly resurfaces the rotors which were all glazed and threw on a new set of HPS'

Needless to say it is very apparent that these pads are not up to gear with my now improved driving. I never lost brake power completely but the stopping power would be stupid inconsistent where I would hit turn 2 and the pads barely seemed to grab and scrub off speed. I will be ordering some Carbotech XP10's and a flex hone to proper resurface both sets of rotors I have. I will then run the xp10's with their own set of rotors and keep the HPS' for DDing and winter driving. It will be a bit of a pain to have to swap each time but the HPS' are downright dangerous if I'm pushing it at the track.

I also learned of how bad my tires really are, they cannot be pushed to the limit as they just let go and are very unstable. Their limit seems to be that of a 400 tw tire, this obviously does not make you feel confident heading into a high speed corner. I was running 1:34's about 4 seconds slower than my fastest lap 3 sessions ago. This was also due to the brakes but my traction is steadily dwindling. I am a much better driver now than when I started this year and I know my lines are much better than previous. I am confident with new tires, and proper brakes I can run a 1:27-1:28 but the budget is being used for brakes and a race seat for now so tires will have to wait until next year.

I also need to strip some weight off of the car but the problem is it is my DDer and I need the back seat in it for my baby seat. I'm really starting to see the benefit of having another DDer. Ron's first gen is just over 2000lbs where as mine is about 2375lbs and on the straights it is slightly apparent. I am also going to try and find someone to build me a long tube header over the winter which should help for about 10-15 whp give or take.

Brake pads are on order as there is no way I am going back to the track with the HPS pads