Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Tracking, Racing, Auto-X Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-12-2009, 09:11 PM   #1
Keith Tinari
Scrubble with a poke.

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB
First time AutoX with the Yaris

Had a great time except the Announcer humiliated me the entire day.

I ran off course on all my runs except my last run. I was missing a short slalom before a huge turn around. Alot of people missed it. The course was wide and fast. Fastest time of the day was a 45 second and slowest being a 107 second. My best was a 62. I dont think I did all that bad but the announcer just let me have it the whole time. I got classics like these:

#777 09 um... Yaris, Really? okay then.

The Yaris is a car not on my Auto X list, they look like they are walking down the track... waste of time really.

Oh! we have a spin, don't bother flagging he won't be an issue, He wont get there any time soon.

And my personal Fav!

A car that slow should never be off course.

Close Tie: "What an Ugly little car"

Otherwise it was fun driving and I had a good time working in the grid. It wasnt my first AutoX but my first in the yaris. Just unfortunate that the guys were such jerks.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:17 PM   #2
RHDVIPbB
Right beside you, wave

Drives: 08 PBM Yaris Sedan
haha, sounds like our announcers, but our region is very close and we all joke on each other until the racing starts. Some get picked on depending on comments they make at the monthly meets/dinner. Just let your driving do the talking and it usually shuts them up after you get used to it.

2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan. Pacific Blue Mica. Custom vinyl eyebrows, color matched interior trim pieces, Vios lip spoiler, 17" Maas rims

2010 Scion xB 7.0 Release Series. 1535 of 2000. Murasaki. Stock with TRD springs.
RHDVIPbB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:22 PM   #3
Keith Tinari
Scrubble with a poke.

I was okay with it for the most part, I run with a crew of 450+ EVOs and STi. I hear it quite alot. But he got down right rude. And that was unprofessional.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:37 PM   #4
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
aww that sucks! I watched an autox and the announcer was an ass too.... oh well, just have fun and show them what the yaris is capable of.

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:08 PM   #5
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB M/T
I know our announcers poke a lot of fun, but its always good-natured, and they're calling a lot of attention to the fact that Yarii are on the rise. Just get some YW stickers and maybe put a few flyers under your wipers while you work!
I even heard one of the STS miata guy's wife tell him she wanted a Yaris after watching mine.
We're a new thing, and Americans suck at dealing with change, but anyone who knows sh** about autoX knows that low-weight and handling beat HP every time. They probably said the same thing about Miata's and CRX's back in the day, but look how that worked-out.
ozmdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:29 PM   #6
Yaris-x

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
It does sound pretty overboard but usually I am the announcer and do poke fun but it is good natured fun like calling a Subaru SVX a eagle talon to get under his skin but I get it back when I run and when I'm not announcing I hear alot of "that car is not faster than a yaris" when they run slower than me its just fun
Yaris-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:09 PM   #7
justjesus

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Tinari View Post

#777 09 um... Yaris, Really? okay then.

Otherwise it was fun driving and I had a good time working in the grid. It wasnt my first AutoX but my first in the yaris. Just unfortunate that the guys were such jerks.
That's just tooooo funny. LMAO at all of those! Me and LTNoogie know the feeling!
We have also gotten, "is that a hybrid?" hehe.

Some day...they won't be laughing.
justjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:16 PM   #8
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
i recollect a smart remark being made about my xA as i pulled up to the start gate at an autocross once.. when i tripped the finish lights at the end i heard the announcer say "oh"............."well that car just put two seconds on so-and-so"............

don't let the heckling get to you. your first time autocrossing will always suck (my first time autocrossing back in my corolla days, i was O/C on every single run) but don't get bent out of shape. stick it out!
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:46 PM   #9
Keith Tinari
Scrubble with a poke.

I quick vid, Just of the first little bit. I spun too hard off the line that time. I was trying to feel out the tires that run. I'm very happy with how flat it stayed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJe973Mtjww

Last edited by Keith Tinari; 10-14-2009 at 09:08 PM. Reason: I forgot to post the vid duh
Keith Tinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:51 PM   #10
Tamago

Quote:
I quick vid, Just of the first little bit. I spun too hard off the line that time. I was trying to feel out the tires that run. I'm very happy with how flat it stayed.
www.youtube.com/salloroc20

check the MR2 video. i've autocrossed for years, and that had to have been the worst run i've had in a very long time. we all have our off-days.. just keep going.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:15 PM   #11
Keith Tinari
Scrubble with a poke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
www.youtube.com/salloroc20

check the MR2 video. i've autocrossed for years, and that had to have been the worst run i've had in a very long time. we all have our off-days.. just keep going.
Wow! that course was huge! Did you hit 3rd there? I saw it was a little loose on the end but not that bad!
Old 10-14-2009, 09:38 PM   #12
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris white hatch
Send a message via AIM to kngrsll
we got the same shit one time... my co driver and i were top 20 pax which was good enough to qualify for the pro class and we were 1 and 2 in the ST class. no one talked shit after that.

its worse at track events! pass a few corvettes on slicks, and you get peoples attention.
kngrsll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:50 PM   #13
Tamago

Quote:
Wow! that course was huge! Did you hit 3rd there? I saw it was a little loose on the end but not that bad!
iirc i stayed in second gear. in the STI though, i was in third most of the time. yaris too IIRC.

that's the short practice course. on "race" day each run is over a mile long. it's an old runway :D
you nailed it sir.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:04 PM   #14
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Don't take it personally. Nothing more boring than an announcer who just blandly calls times over the PA. Gotta have a little fun and stir up some shit. Been there, done that.

Your only recourse is to continue autocrossing, get better, and make them eat their words!

A properly setup Yaris in the hands of a good driver can embarrass a lot of people in a lot of supposedly faster cars. Hell, I even beat MYSELF today! I was co-driving with a newb in a Miata. (stock, worn out shocks, no performance alignment, mediocre tires) Took ONE run in my Yaris and beat my runs in the Miata by over a second.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:09 AM   #15
TheRealEnth
Beast

Drives: 2007 Blz Blu LB
Send a message via AIM to TheRealEnth
yeah, just keep showing up to every autox and show them you aren't a scrub ;D

One you've taken a yaris for a spin, there's no turning back.
Its a Chao!!!
TheRealEnth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:26 AM   #16
Tamago

btw, who was the guy with the silver MR2 in the background of your video, keith?
you nailed it sir.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:33 PM   #17
mikebdubsuby

Drives: Swapped 04 Suby RS, 2010 Yaris
Haha wow they gave you a pretty hard time. I went to an auto x event in Vegas just to watch, I wasn't there for the event, I just noticed it going on and wanted to check it out. I talked to the announcer and the people who ran it for a while and they all seemed pretty cool over there and non judgemental.
mikebdubsuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 01:40 PM   #18
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
Don't take it personally. Nothing more boring than an announcer who just blandly calls times over the PA. Gotta have a little fun and stir up some shit. Been there, done that.

Your only recourse is to continue autocrossing, get better, and make them eat their words!

A properly setup Yaris in the hands of a good driver can embarrass a lot of people in a lot of supposedly faster cars. Hell, I even beat MYSELF today! I was co-driving with a newb in a Miata. (stock, worn out shocks, no performance alignment, mediocre tires) Took ONE run in my Yaris and beat my runs in the Miata by over a second.
Yup, keep at it and you'll get to beat some folks down the road. Its even mroe fun in a Yaris. I ran faster than several of the S2000's at their club autoX event last week, and someone sent me some postings from their forum about how they might have to commit Harey Cary after losing to a Yaris. One guy was convinced that my car had to be on nitrous or a swapped motor.
Now that's payback.
ozmdd is offline   Reply With Quote