Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Tracking, Racing, Auto-X Forum
  The Tire Rack

View Poll Results: Which roll bar/cage would you be most interested in?
Roll Bar (bolt in) 4 21.05%
Street Sport roll bar (+ harness bar, bolt in) 10 52.63%
Race roll bar (+cross brace, bolt in) 4 21.05%
Roll Cage (custom choices, weld in only) 4 21.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-30-2010, 12:50 AM   #1
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
ROLL BARS - INTEREST THREAD

I'm now a dealer for AutoPower, which make very nice bolt-in and weld-in cages for racing. They recently fabricated the cages for the 2011 Toyota Yaris race cars, and are now offering bolt-in versions to Micro Image.

I need to know which of these you'd be most interested in. This is for people who are interested, so I'm not including a "no thanks" poll choice.

Your input and discussion is appreciated.

bolt in ROLL BAR (approx. $400)

This roll bar will give your street car a performance look and style.
In most cars rear seats and/or convertible top remain in place and useable.
4 point roll bar is made of 1.750 x .120 DOM mild steel tube.
All necessary installation and mounting hardware with back-up plates is included.

STREET SPORT bolt-in ROLL BAR w/ HARNESS BAR (approx. $500)

Our Street-Sport bar is just what you need for your high performance street car.
Designed for high performance street use.
Bolt-in harness mount tube for easy installation of safety harnesses.
Bolt-In Removable horizontal harness.
All necessary installation and mounting hardware with back-up plates is included.
The Street-Sport Roll Bar has a bolt in harness mount tube for easy installation of harnesses and access to the back seat for street use.

RACE bolt in ROLL BAR (approx. $620)

The Race roll bar is designed for solo, autocross and high speed time trials. Race roll bars have a diagonal cross brace and most have a harness mount tube.
Autopower will select tube size and type for your needs.
Race roll bars are made with 1.750 x .120 DOM steel.
4 point mounting with welded diagonal crossbrace.

*** Optional: Harness bar and cross brace are bolt-in instead of welded in place.

ROLL CAGE (approx. $800-1200)

These are done to order, and can include rear triangulation, door bars, and front cage additions. This would be a weld-in option only! The one shown below has the front section but not the rear triangulation.

Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:33 AM   #2
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
autopower makes good stuff! unfortunately their bar for my car isn't SCCA legal, so i opted for the HardDog. the Autopower prices are excellent!
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:23 AM   #3
annn
ヤリスワールド

Drives: 2008 HB
Roll bar a truly effective item or more of a "show bar" ?

Finish on bar primer etc ?

How much will it effect rear entry of passengers ?

Any chach of a pic installed ?
annn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:34 AM   #4
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
I like the idea of the first bolt in bar, then customizing it for my needs from there. I to am curious about the things annn mentioned.

Thanks Garm for bringing (and considering) even more great aftermarket parts for our Yarii
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:00 AM   #5
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

** roll bar would offer some protection if you roll. I have the street sport model in my tC so I can use harnesses, it's really nice.

** I believe they give it a coat of paint, just for protection. If you want it to be real pretty, you'll have to finish it yourself.

**Roll bar doesn't, street sport bar does if the harness bar is in place (it's removable). In my tC, I remove it when I know I'm going to have passengers in the back.

**No, sorry. The closest you're going to get is Jason's pics of the toyota race cars. I WILL post a pic of the tC though.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:02 AM   #6
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by annn View Post

A roll bar is only as effective as its design, construction and installation allow. You can spot a “show cage” a mile away… It has a bunch of cool bends that wrap around the dash, and all the joints are hinged. Fail. This type of design won’t pass with any racing group in the states. AutoPower is using Grand-Am spec tubing size/thickness, has proper backing plates for bolt-in applications, and typically uses slip fits for additional bolt-in bars. This makes for an effective bar.

Finish on all AP bolt-in stuff is black powder coat. The weld-in kits come raw.

I can’t comment on rear entry, or even offer a real good guess at what the finished bolt-in will look like. They did two custom cages for a couple of cars we worked on, and at the same time took measurements for these kits. I am sure the bolt-in will differ slightly – you guys want to keep your interior, and because a bolt-in has backing plates for strength the bars feet won’t be mounted in the exact same locations. But you can see their work from these pics.

A show cage (not made by AutoPower), this will fail in a roll. You can not have hinged joints like these on the main hoops, they have to carry the load, not rotate. Good thing they kept the factory roll hoop. ;)

Last edited by Jason@SportsCar; 12-30-2010 at 01:08 PM.
Jason@SportsCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:24 AM   #7
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
My 2 cents... There are only two practical choices for the Yaris. The four point with bolt-in harness bar (street sport), and the full cage kit.

A standard bar is useful for crash protection, but without the harness bar it is not protecting you on the track as much as it could. The harness bar is a bolt-in piece, it seems silly not to buy it and use it as/if needed. To me this is the entry level. Sure we have all seen those guys that mount the shoulder belts for their harness on the floor behind the seats, or to the rear belt locations. If the belts even hold when installed in this manner, they will likely suffer spinal compression as the belts pull them down in a wreck. The harness bar puts the shoulder belts at the proper height to help hold you in the seat, and not compress your spine.

The race bar is a good upgrade, due to the diagonal, but is not ideal for this application. The race bar is what would be considered the “SCCA legal roll bar”, and is required with most any group to get a convertible on the track. However, in a coupe/sedan like the Yaris you are not required to have any bar for track days – don’t take this the wrong way, safer is always better, but for a street/track car the diagonal is going to make use of the back seat impractical.

If you are so hardcore you want the protection of the diagonal in the race kit, you should go all the way and get the full cage. The full cage is needed for wheel-to-wheel racing, and is going to offer the best protection. Just an FYI... Every kit I have seen only comes with one door bar (maybe NHRA allows only one), SCCA and most road racing groups require two door bars per side, so don't forget them when you order.

My votes… Street Sport with harness bar for weekend warriors (track day/HPDE/time trial/Autox/show), and the full cage for the guys who are going to race wheel-to-wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
I'm now a dealer for AutoPower, which make very nice bolt-in and weld-in cages for racing. They recently fabricated the cages for the 2011 Toyota Yaris race cars, and are now offering bolt-in versions to Micro Image.

I need to know which of these you'd be most interested in. This is for people who are interested, so I'm not including a "no thanks" poll choice.

Your input and discussion is appreciated.

bolt in ROLL BAR (approx. $400)

This roll bar will give your street car a performance look and style.
In most cars rear seats and/or convertible top remain in place and useable.

STREET SPORT bolt-in ROLL BAR w/ HARNESS BAR (approx. $500)

Our Street-Sport bar is just what you need for your high performance street car.
Designed for high performance street use.
Bolt-in harness mount tube for easy installation of safety harnesses.
Bolt-In Removable horizontal harness.
The Street-Sport Roll Bar has a bolt in harness mount tube for easy installation of harnesses and access to the back seat for street use.

RACE bolt in ROLL BAR (approx. $620)

The Race roll bar is designed for solo, autocross and high speed time trials. Race roll bars have a diagonal cross brace and most have a harness mount tube.
Autopower will select tube size and type for your needs.
Race roll bars are made with 1.750 x .120 DOM steel.
4 point mounting with welded diagonal crossbrace.

*** Optional: Harness bar and cross brace are bolt-in instead of welded in place.

ROLL CAGE (approx. $800-1200)

These are done to order, and can include rear triangulation, door bars, and front cage additions. This would be a weld-in option only! The one shown below has the front section but not the rear triangulation.

Last edited by Jason@SportsCar; 12-30-2010 at 11:37 AM.
Jason@SportsCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:25 PM   #8
annn
ヤリスワールド

Wow ! Excellent post ,thank you for info.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:46 PM   #9
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
i wish Autopower had spent the time that Bethania-Garage did, building an actually-useful roll bar for the ZZW30 :(
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:58 PM   #10
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
YES YES YES! talk about purchasing a yaris at the right time
ilikerice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:15 PM   #11
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

bump - keep those votes coming please!
Old 01-01-2011, 04:05 PM   #12
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

that's it? hmmm, not going to order very many, I'm afraid.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:21 PM   #13
annn
ヤリスワールド

Shades of the hoods...
Old 01-01-2011, 05:55 PM   #14
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

^ ha yeah, but this time I haven't already made them.
Old 01-01-2011, 06:32 PM   #15
ilikerice

well, my g/f says if im going to buy a roll cage that i should go all out..... hmmmm...
Old 01-01-2011, 09:39 PM   #16
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

KEEP HER
Old 01-03-2011, 04:41 AM   #17
justjesus

Drives: 2008 Liftback
he should be proposing to her!!

on a side note: I have AP roll bar in my CRX, and I love it.
justjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:07 AM   #18
ilikerice

^you know i have been wanting to get one for sooo long but every time i get the money to do that for my crx, i end up having to spend it on something else that breaks around the house or on the car. but ever since i got the yaris, its like a good luck charm