Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-26-2012, 10:32 AM   #1
Gladmo2

Drives: 2008 Yaris T2
Add USB audio to factory head unit

Hey there,
I just got my 2008 Yaris on Saturday and one thing I am missing is USB audio.
Currently I am using an FM transmitter which just doesn't quite cut it. I don't really want to replace the head unit as I am happy with the way it looks at the moment.
I found this video which looks promising:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTGQGVZyJ-0
However I have a different head unit so I am not sure if that kit would still work.
Here is a photo of the head unit I have:

Any ideas if this will work? Any other cheaper solutions (not FM transmitters. )
Thanks!
Gladmo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:52 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
If you look on ebay you will see quite a few different aux input adapters, similar to that one. Many list the specific Toyota radio part numbers which they are compatible with. The part number is on a label on the top of the head unit, visible when it is slid out.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:19 AM   #3
Giccin

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3dr HBK
I'm having the same relative question.

I have a 2009 Yaris and I really like the convenience of a USB port for music.

Anyone know a way to make this work?
Giccin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:43 AM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giccin View Post
I'm having the same relative question.

I have a 2009 Yaris and I really like the convenience of a USB port for music.

Anyone know a way to make this work?
Your 2009 US Yaris should have the head unit that has the AUX button on it. If it does, then all you need is the OEM Aux jack and possible the cabling for it. pop out the plastic piece in front of the ebrake lever and if you see two connectors sitting under that piece, then you just need the jack. If you only see one (which has a single row of pins) then you need both the jack and the cabling. I have both available if you are interested.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:13 PM   #5
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Your 2009 US Yaris should have the head unit that has the AUX button on it. If it does, then all you need is the OEM Aux jack and possible the cabling for it. pop out the plastic piece in front of the ebrake lever and if you see two connectors sitting under that piece, then you just need the jack. If you only see one (which has a single row of pins) then you need both the jack and the cabling. I have both available if you are interested.
Damn. I ASSumed that was just an 1/8" aux adapter, not a USB as well. Definitely buying one.

PS: Had a look in my 09 with a manual trans, the connector is taped up to the right of the shifter. You can't see it under the panel below the E-brake. If you pull up the shifter boot you should see it, and two others. Cut the white tape to release it and it will reach under the E-brake.

Cheers.
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:33 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryM View Post
Damn. I ASSumed that was just an 1/8" aux adapter, not a USB as well. Definitely buying one.

PS: Had a look in my 09 with a manual trans, the connector is taped up to the right of the shifter. You can't see it under the panel below the E-brake. If you pull up the shifter boot you should see it, and two others. Cut the white tape to release it and it will reach under the E-brake.

Cheers.
Actually for the 2nd gen Yaris it is just audio aux input (i.e. 1/8" headphone jack). That is the OEM universal AUX input.

There is an OEM ipod interface kit, but it has the 30 pin Apple connector.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:18 AM   #7
CoryM

Bugger. Too bad.
I thought this thread was about USB inputs on 2nd gens? I don't use my Aux because it's too quiet. Have been meaning to buy an amplifier for a while now.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:17 PM   #8
CoryM

My "stereo jack adapter" connector has 5 wires. I would guess left,right,ground, but do you know what are the other two for?
Cheers.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:25 PM   #9
kaymm

Drives: Yaris Liftback 3dr (Silver)
Hi

I got one of these kits for my Yaris for about $100. Super easy install, literally took me 10 mins to install. Plugs into the back of your stock head unit's CD changer port. Then you can plug your iPod/iPhone/iPad in via dock connector. The stock head unit sees the iPhone as disk 1. There is also a 3.5mm input as well for older mp3 players.

http://www.gtacarkits.com/toyota_yar...11_car_kit.php
kaymm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
auxilery, oem radio, usb