Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-20-2009, 08:52 PM   #1
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
My new vios grill and front lip splitter Pics Inside =)

First id like to thanks kaotic for his excellent writeup on how to remove the bumper. It literally took me 7 minutes to take it off. And probally have that to put back. Even though my car was lower i didnt have to use a floor jack but it would have made things a lot easier. So anyone looking to do this mod dont be afraid it is very simple.

Most of the time was trying to get the grill to fit inplace. I broke 2 of the clips off trying to do this and i finally gave up and bought some quick steel and epoxed it to the bumper=). I dont plan to go back to stock or sell this car anytime soon.

The front lip splitter was pretty simple i just use the ahesive tape it came with it looks like it will hold up well and removed the plastic lower lip from the factory. Car has a more aggresive sports look now. I just installed the carbon fiber eyelids permanently with 3m tape but forgot to take pics so ill try to get some full shots tomorrow in the sun.

Next mod will be foglights.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:55 PM   #2
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
That looks REALLY GOOD
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:02 PM   #3
YarisSedan

Oh yeah and 2 tips i can add anyone deciding to do this when you remove the inner grill to paint it. Its better to install the outer grill into the bumper first before you zip tie it back together. When i zip tied it i did it too tight i guess and the grill is flexed inward slightly so it dosnt sit 100 percent flush with the bumper. SHould have installed it with the clips and then install the inner grill to it. THat would ensure proper fitment. I am too lazy to remove the entire bumper and start over again maybe in a month when i have spare time or when i go to install my fog lights.

Second tip is after painting your fingers may scratch some of the black off the grill. Or even after awile from driving rock and debri may scratch the black off. Easy fix is take your black spray paint and spray a little on a q-tip and just dab it to touch up the spots and whala back to new again.

I think i got too anxiouse and didnt let it fully dry before i put it back.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:04 PM   #4
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Cool. (Ignore my other post in the sedan thread).

No problem about the write-up. So a tab/clip broke off of yours too?
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:05 PM   #5
Kaotic Lazagna

My grill became Sharpie looking???? I like it like that for some reason, but may repaint it flat black some day.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:08 PM   #6
YarisSedan

Yeah well when i took it to the body shop the guy was lokoign at the tab and accidentally broke one. He said he would glue it back but when i went to pick it up a week later it was accidentally lost. Another one broke off installing. These were the lower ones. I super glued one back and tried to make another clip out of a piece of coathanger in a hook shape but when i used my dremel to cut the remaining coathanger off the heat caused the metal to heat up and melt off lol. So then i glued it back again and it was good. But after driving for awile i went out to take pictures and the pressure caused the glue to break off and the grill half poped out. I was so pissed i ran to kragens and just bought some quicksteel. Made 2 balls and shoved it under the grill and pressed it into place into the bumper and held it with tape. Removed the tape and back to normal again. I guess beign a replica ofcourse the quality is lower than the real thing. You cant really notice unless you are looking really up close though.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:11 PM   #7
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
Yeah well when i took it to the body shop the guy was lokoign at the tab and accidentally broke one. He said he would glue it back but when i went to pick it up a week later it was accidentally lost. Another one broke off installing. These were the lower ones. I super glued one back and tried to make another clip out of a piece of coathanger in a hook shape but when i used my dremel to cut the remaining coathanger off the heat caused the metal to heat up and melt off lol. So then i glued it back again and it was good. But after driving for awile i went out to take pictures and the pressure caused the glue to break off and the grill half poped out. I was so pissed i ran to kragens and just bought some quicksteel. Made 2 balls and shoved it under the grill and pressed it into place into the bumper and held it with tape. Removed the tape and back to normal again. I guess beign a replica ofcourse the quality is lower than the real thing. You cant really notice unless you are looking really up close though.
I can't remember if it was a top or a bottom one that broke off for me. hehehe, mine stuck with super glue and zip ties. hehehe.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:26 PM   #8
Meteorite_Marty

Drives: 2008 5-door Yaris Hatchback
Looks much better than North America stock. With the centre bar gone, the car has a whole new look.
Meteorite_Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:12 PM   #9
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I like those grills a lot, but those tabs ARE weak -- I'm sorry about that. Gorilla glue is awesome for that because it foams up and really toughens up those tabs at the base.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 12:39 AM   #10
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Epoxy fixes everything :D (epoxy is to supmet, as duct tape is to a redneck)

That grill is on my ever growing list of things to do
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 12:51 AM   #11
YarisSedan

I am thinking of getting a emblem for the grill what do you guys think a RS emblem TRD emblem or vvti